Trying to learn about my TJ (Sport or Apex edition?)

James9100

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys, so just a quick question, if I do a VIN search for my TJ, should it come up as a special edition if it is one?
I’m just trying to learn a bit more about er, and I THINK it’s an Apex edition because it’s got the cognac pleather seats, but when I do a VIN search it just comes up as a Sport. Do special editions kind of fall within the trim levels? In other words mine would be a Apex Edition Sport? Also mine doesn’t even have the usual Wrangler or Sport decal on the side, just the TJ decal, is that OEM?
I just find it kinda cool to know this stuff. Thanks!
It’s a 2002, bright silver metallic.

Not sure about Canada but I think the Apex was an X model Wrangler in the US. Did Canada have the X model? It also had chrome clad 15x7 steel wheels and graphics on the hood. Any evidence of the hood graphics if you look closely? I don’t think any other model came with those seats. Canada might be different on everything above though.

Not sure about Canada but I think the Apex was an X model Wrangler in the US. Did Canada have the X model? It also had chrome clad 15x7 steel wheels and graphics on the hood. Any evidence of the hood graphics if you look closely? I don’t think any other model came with those seats. Canada might be different on everything above though.
Using that VIN search I linked it lists the Apex hood deal so I have to assume it’s an Apex. Just wouldn’t of thought it’d come up as a Sport.
Maybe someone that knows for a fact they have an Apex can chime in and do a VIN search on theirs?

Sure thing, I pulled the build sheet when I bought my Apex. It shows at the top:
"Jeep Wrangler X"
and under Optional Equipment:
Ultrahide Cognac bucket seats
Apex Special Edition Group
Edited to add:
Lt Quartz Decal hood w/logo
is also under Optional Equipment

Last edited:
Sure thing, I pulled the build sheet when I bought my Apex. It shows at the top:
"Jeep Wrangler X"
and under Optional Equipment:
Ultrahide Cognac bucket seats
Apex Special Edition Group
Edited to add:
Lt Quartz Decal hood w/logo
is also under Optional Equipment
Okay ya makes sense. Upon further reading I found out the X wasn’t made in Canada so the Apex edition/package was under the Sport trim here.

Maybe I’m weird but I don’t even mind the color 🤷‍♂️
Sad thing is if I could find a set in good shape I'd probably pick em' up. My front Drivers is completely blown out, passenger has some damage, but at least the back is pretty good. Wife hates em' tho and she's gonna be driving this rig too...

Oh, and if you haven't posted any, get us some pics man!!!!
She’s been a bit of a slow project, bought it out of province so working on getting it through inspection. All I gotta do yet is get some mud-flaps on, hook up a third brake light, and looks like I need to replace the crankshaft position sensor (throwing P0320). But I’ll have to give it a quick wash one day and then will for sure post some up!