Trying to revive my XJ...issue while running.

Ahoragi

TJ Addict
My 01 has been down all summer and I'm trying to get it back on the road. The battery was dead so I jumped it with the TJ and it fired up but I noticed it was rumbling a little bit and the serp belt was struggling to turn. It would stop here and there and turn slowly. I started to smell burning so I shut it down.

Any idea what's up?

Yeah I pulled the belt and everything spins except the alternator. It must be rusty inside. Luckily I snatched up a Mopar alt about a year ago when Rockauto had a sale.

Is it normal for the AC pulley to have resistance? It sort of clunk-turns but doesn't turn smoothly like the other pullies.

Yeah I pulled the belt and everything spins except the alternator. It must be rusty inside. Luckily I snatched up a Mopar alt about a year ago when Rockauto had a sale.

Is it normal for the AC pulley to have resistance? It sort of clunk-turns but doesn't turn smoothly like the other pullies.

It's a compressor so it should have some resistance when trying to turn it.

It's a compressor so it should have some resistance when trying to turn it.

Well the compressor spins freely from 12 to 5 and then catches and feels like a grinding type resistance the rest of the way to 12. Sound like a bad bearing in it or is this normal?

The Alternator is indeed shot. I first noticed it when I saw the pully all rusted to hell and then confirmed it when I could barely spin it by hand. The new one in basement spins with joy.

The compressor clutch should spin freely when ac is turned off.

Must be bad then. I'm looking into a bypass pulley since I haven't touched the A/C since I bought the jeep in 07. It's a useless part.

Oh yeah, when the AC is off (clutch not engaged), it should spin freely. When it's engaged, then it should have resistance.

By the way were any changes made to the forum recently? Suddenly I stopped getting instant email notifs. I think it's been a couple days now.

By the way were any changes made to the forum recently? Suddenly I stopped getting instant email notifs. I think it's been a couple days now.

Nope. Either one of two things happened:

1) You unsubscribed from email notifications
2) The emails are ending up in your spam or junk folder (this is my guess).

It always really helps to whitelist @wranglertjforum.com emails. That way you'll be sure you always get them.

Nope. Either one of two things happened:

1) You unsubscribed from email notifications
2) The emails are ending up in your spam or junk folder (this is my guess).

It always really helps to whitelist @wranglertjforum.com emails. That way you'll be sure you always get them.
Interesting because my email on file is the same and notifications are set. My spam folder is empty. It is comcast though. I had issues with receiving email notifs from a couple other forums in the past. It just seems to fix itself randomly.

Anyways, after four days of wrenching and the jeep almost crushing me (for the 2nd time) I finally got it back up and running. Runs like new and rides a whole lot better. It did die two days later cuz the starter just decided to not work but that was a warrantied part.

What was needed to get it running:

New Alternator
Bypass A/C pulley
New belt
New battery
New Starter
New leaf spring bushings
New boomerang shackles
New Ball joints
New flex joint in t-bar

jeepisback_zpsbeschxge.jpg

Reactions: Chris
I'm glad you got it back up and running. I miss our old XJ!

You're likely right, it's probably Comcast filtering out @wranglertjforum.com emails on their end (before they even reach you) since they think it's spam. I too have had this issue with other forums I'm a member of. It's rather annoying!