Turn signals and flashers don't work

Toby Delahoussaye

Supporting Member
Need help! I have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport that currently does not have working turn signals or emergency flashers! I have traced the wiring harness that best I can, I have changed the following: Signal switch, flasher relay, all fuses and all light bulbs. Yet still nothing!. The brake and running lights work fine but no flashing! Please help!!

Can I assume you checked the fuse?

Do the emergency flashers work or do they not work also?

Have you used a test light on the power leads to the turn signals (while they are on) to see if it's getting power to the turn signal wires?

Reactions: Toby Delahoussaye
Yes I've checked the fuse and have even replaced them with new ones just in case. Did the same with the bulbs. The emergency flashers do not work. I have not tried a test light yet.

Try the test light. First you need to see if there's power going to to the lights. If not, it could be bad connections at the fuse box, or even the turn signal stalk itself!

Pull the cover off the steering column. Once off you will be looking at the multifunction switch. MFS, plugged into that switch you will find the flasher unit. Wiggle it around and see if it works. If it does not help use a multimeter to check each lead into and out of the MFS. I can't remember for sure which pins are turn signal flashers but 4,5, or 6 sound familiar. Check my thread about no tail lights for more info on this problem.
Please post what you discover.

Do you have access to the wiring diagrams? You can spend a lot of time chasing your tail on electrical issues without one. If you don't, you can probably find it on the net, alldatadiy (subscription), or maybe your local library has a Chilton's db (not the best but better than nothing). Sorry I can't be of more help.

Haha, glad you figured it out.

I figured it had to be something simple. It usually is!

Hi There, did you find which fuse was the problem?
I had the same issue, flashers and hazards just stopped working. Replaced the flasher relay in the steering column, no luck. Took it to a shop and mechanic said he had to look at the wiring diagrams to figure out where the hot wire off the relay led. He didn’t give me great details, but there’s a fuse box in the engine compartment and he found the blown fuse in there. Said the label for it was something about lighting. And it was a big fuse (but he had thrown it away so I never saw it).

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I actually just wiggled a few parts on the steering column and sprayed with good old WD-40 and hey-presto, its working again.

I am still having the same issue. Any update on which fuse it was? Under hood or behind glove box? I have literally tried everything to fix this issue. The only difference on mine is when I step on the brake pedal I get intermittent flashes out of the turn signals if I gently activate the mfs. Clicking it all the way still does not let the turn signal work. Hazards do not work either way. I would like to know which fuse it is as I have already pinned them all with my test light and didn't find any not working.

I am still having the same issue. Any update on which fuse it was? Under hood or behind glove box? I have literally tried everything to fix this issue. The only difference on mine is when I step on the brake pedal I get intermittent flashes out of the turn signals if I gently activate the mfs. Clicking it all the way still does not let the turn signal work. Hazards do not work either way. I would like to know which fuse it is as I have already pinned them all with my test light and didn't find any not working.

I had to replace the signal stick because the hazard lights stuck on and wouldn't turn off. 3 months later blinkers/hazards start working erratically. I just ordered new stick and MFR (relay). Just wondering what you found as I may be replacing parts I don't need to. Also going to check the fuse in the hood which I believe someone said was labeled "lights". You find anything different?