Update on my Japanese imported TJ

Caledonian

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
An update on my TJ..finally arrived in the UK at Newcastle on the 12th April 2021, 6 weeks after it left Japan.

Took a week to get through customs and picked up.

Arrived 19th April.

Took it next day to my local garage / MOT station..took them a whole week to get around to the MOT

Passed MOT with flying colours..no issues.

Next day sent off ny request for vehicle registration..so that's around 27th April..so far no registration document..they say 6 weeks due to COVID!

In parallel ordered various bits from Quadratec..eventually cancelled order as things like bumpers went from long lead time to unknown.

Re-submitted order on the 21st April for a cover/seat rail extenders/new top and new indicator lenses..total price 1180 USD pls 143USD shipping

Finally shipped on the 20th May and expected to arrive 27th May UK..plus £227 duty and vat.

Had the garage change ALL the fluids..they were amazed at how the condition was everywhere...

So now waiting for the reg document,plus shortly a backlog of bits to fit..got a new android head unit that the US guys rave about as I can onlt get Radio 2 on the Japanese head unit, new Hellas headlights plus the bits from Quadratec.

So quite a time consuming experience..some positives too!

I'll let you know how I get on!

2021-05-12 19.20.05.jpg

A month for parts from Quadratec, bloody luxury. Eight of the nine items I ordered due to arrive on Monday, order placed...

...15th February.

I don't completely blame Quadratec, some of the items were out of stock when I ordered. I also get when international shipping, splitting the order is not really economic. The missing part is the MORE body lift where the delivery date has slipped several times, but my guess is that is likely a MORE issue and not a Quadratec one.

As an aside, the VAT which FEDEX required me to pay was more than I had expected. Was you payment in line with your own calculations?

There will be duty as well as VAT: my order ended being only slightly better than £1/$1. Can’t remember the exact rates. Still cheaper than Jeepey (and way more options).

There will be duty as well as VAT: my order ended being only slightly better than £1/$1. Can’t remember the exact rates. Still cheaper than Jeepey (and way more options).
To get very specific...

The total value of my order was $1,983.94 plus shipping of $202.14. The body lift that has not shipped was $141.71. So that gives a value of this shipment of $1,842.23.

Duty is just on the goods, assuming it is all at 2.5% (though I thought car parts were 4%) it gives me duty of $46.06, working on the current exchange rate of c.$1 = £0.71 gives £32.70. Fedex has charged £34.32 duty which is pretty close to my calculation.

VAT at 20% is charged on the value of goods, the duty and the international component of the shipping (but for simplicity I assume the total shipping cost). So that is 20% x (((1,842.23+202.14) x 0.71) + 34.32), which I make £297.17. But Fedex has quoted £361.46. That seems a lkng way out.

Any thoughts on what I may have gotten wrong?

I have the breakdown of the cost from FedEx now and it is clear Quadratec have cocked up. They put the value of all items on the customs form, not just the 8 that shipped. They also put the value as being the pre-discount amount, which inflated it by a further roughly $200.

I have contacted Hailey who manages the @Quadratec account here for help, but she does not seem to be on here very much at the moment.

Wow, what a fantastic job Hailey from @Quadratec does! She has already solved this problem for me.

I would 100% recommend Quadratec to anyone looking to buy internationally, you know the true measure of a company when there is an issue and they deal with it so brilliantly! Quadratec are clearly a first class company!

This has been my experience with Quadratec, though: mistakes and questionable comms (not helped by time zones) then Hailey makes it all good again.

I have another order to put in shortly...