Ventilated seats

Jeepersteve71

TJ Enthusiast
Let's face it. We've all been there. Drive your jeep for an hour with the tops and doors off and your first stop you get out of the jeep and your back is covered in sweat. Or you have been on the trail all day and you have to change your shirt numerous times because of how wet your back is when you get out of the Jeep lol.

Wondering if anyone has tried ventilated seats in their Jeep? I know Katzkin makes a set that can be installed in your seat but they are terribly expensive. Would be cool to enjoy driving the jeep and when you get out still have a dry back.

I think I'm going to pick up one of these on Amazon and see how well they work. If they work well I'm going to see about having our upholstery shop try to put this into our current seat covers. Any advice would be greatly appriciated!

Cooling Car Seat Cushion, Black 12V Automotive Universal Fit Full Size Seat Cushion ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XH2KYF/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Jon Wildes
Wow, and the reviews are on point too!

I've always talked about how cool something like this would be. The new BMWs come with air conditioned seats, but this would do me just fine.

This would be great for the summer days when it's hot out with no top or doors. I'm strongly going to have to consider ordering a set!

IMG_5903.PNG
Wow, and the reviews are on point too!

I've always talked about how cool something like this would be. The new BMWs come with air conditioned seats, but this would do me just fine.

This would be great for the summer days when it's hot out with no top or doors. I'm strongly going to have to consider ordering a set!
I'm going to order one tomorrow and use it for a week. I'll let you know how it works. Noise level, if it actually cooled my 6 foot 4 inch 250lb self, durable, etc. I just don't want a cover that is going to slide around. I'd like to have something sewn into the seat so it looks factory. Also I don't want a cigarette plug. I'd like to wire up an on/off switch in the dash like the one in the photo attached. Nice clean simple install.

Reactions: Chris
I have run around with old school beaded seat covers for ages. They are cheap, strangely comfortable, and let air flow behind you so you don't get the sweats! These look like the best alternative so far. Great find if the work as well as the reviews!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 19870
I'm going to order one tomorrow and use it for a week. I'll let you know how it works. Noise level, if it actually cooled my 6 foot 4 inch 250lb self, durable, etc. I just don't want a cover that is going to slide around. I'd like to have something sewn into the seat so it looks factory. Also I don't want a cigarette plug. I'd like to wire up an on/off switch in the dash like the one in the photo attached. Nice clean simple install.

Do indeed let me know! I drive around with the top off and doors off in the Summer, and while I don't get overly hot while we're driving (thanks to the wind), when sitting at stop lights, my back and my ass always get sweaty. Something like this (if it works) would definitely help to mitigate that. If that is the case, for the price it's a great deal!

The Update?
FWIW I just bought these last week....fan in a seat cover idea. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01CIID1FM/?tag=tjforum-20

Not sure if there is actually a 'real' refrigerated seat system. I have factory cooled seats in my truck and they too are just a fan...a better system to be sure, but just a fan.

We went out wheeling today in 35c heat and didn't come home with that prickly heat syndrome.

Here's the catch though. I have AC, hardtop and will run with the windows closed to stay comfortable. The ventilated seats can only take the air available to them and circulate it through. And unfortunately on most jeeps the area between your legs at the front of the seat is pretty warm. That being said, I think they still might be worth a shot as any air moving about your butt needs to be more comfortable that getting monkey butt from the neoprene seat covers :)

Real vented seats like the kind on new cars (including my mom's Mazda MX-5) use the A/C system and circulate it through the perforation in the leather seats using fans that are installed in the seat bases and backs. They work very well, and are a very nice creature comfort I found myself enjoying quite a bit.

I've seen some seat covers with fans on Amazon that might provide some flow, but it's not going to be cold air unless you somehow tapped into the A/C system and ran some ducting (which would be a lot of work).

I could be mistaken about the new vehicle ventilated seats just being a fan...just assumed there. But I can tell you this, when we got back in the BLACK jeep today after walking around in the 35c - 95f heat and the fan kicked on in the seat covers, it was definitely noticeable even before the AC started doing it's job. I'll be keeping them on for the summer and then taking off as I have heated seats.

I could be mistaken about the new vehicle ventilated seats just being a fan...just assumed there. But I can tell you this, when we got back in the BLACK jeep today after walking around in the 35c - 95f heat and the fan kicked on in the seat covers, it was definitely noticeable even before the AC started doing it's job. I'll be keeping them on for the summer and then taking off as I have heated seats.

It may depend on the vehicle, but on most vehicles (new ones) they are cooled seats, and they do indeed use the A/C system. Some are just better than others. For instance, the "cooled seats" in my Challenger Hellcat aren't anywhere near as good as the ones in my mom's Mazda CX-5.

I may have to try a pair of those ones you ordered. It was 118 degrees Fahrenheit today here in Arizona where I live ;)

Real vented seats like the kind on new cars (including my mom's Mazda MX-5) use the A/C system and circulate it through the perforation in the leather seats using fans that are installed in the seat bases and backs. They work very well, and are a very nice creature comfort I found myself enjoying quite a bit.

I've seen some seat covers with fans on Amazon that might provide some flow, but it's not going to be cold air unless you somehow tapped into the A/C system and ran some ducting (which would be a lot of work).

My daily driver is a Genesis G80 with the Ventilated seats. There is a small AC outlet that has a damper that steals a little of the rear seat AC when you turn on the seat cooling. The vents basically dump AC air under the seat and the 4 little fans push it up through the seats. Small ducts move it up through the seat back. After about 5 minutes you need to turn it down as it's oddly cold on certain parts of the anatomy....even on a 115° day like today.

My daily driver is a Genesis G80 with the Ventilated seats. There is a small AC outlet that has a damper that steals a little of the rear seat AC when you turn on the seat cooling. The vents basically dump AC air under the seat and the 4 little fans push it up through the seats. Small ducts move it up through the seat back. After about 5 minutes you need to turn it down as it's oddly cold on certain parts of the anatomy....even on a 115° day like today.

Yep, that sounds like my mom's Mazda. I thought it was gimmicky until I tried it. Once I tried it, I kept telling myself that our next family vehicle would have it.

Auto manufacturers do come up with a lot of stupid crap, but this is one that in a hot climate is especially nice to have, I must admit.

Yep, that sounds like my mom's Mazda. I thought it was gimmicky until I tried it. Once I tried it, I kept telling myself that our next family vehicle would have it.

Auto manufacturers do come up with a lot of stupid crap, but this is one that in a hot climate is especially nice to have, I must admit.

Mine have 3 progressive settings. You can't leave it on "high" or stuff goes back where it came from.....

The Genesis has a lot of interesting features. A twin turbo for one... heads up display, 18 speakers.... and on and on. The best option is the option to turn off all the "warning crap" with one click.

Mine have 3 progressive settings. You can't leave it on "high" or stuff goes back where it came from.....

The Genesis has a lot of interesting features. A twin turbo for one... heads up display, 18 speakers.... and on and on. The best option is the option to turn off all the "warning crap" with one click.

Those Genesis' get very good reviews. If I didn't have three young kids and the need for a lot of room, I would definitely buy one no question about it.

Those Genesis' get very good reviews. If I didn't have three young kids and the need for a lot of room, I would definitely buy one no question about it.

The G80 is a very large sedan by today's standards. I'm actually thinking I might downsize to the G70 next time around. Hyundai is doing things right. I bought my daughter a Elantra Limited in 2013 brand new. At 160K it still drive like brand new. Only basic maintenance. Even the leather seats look like new.

The G80 is a very large sedan by today's standards. I'm actually thinking I might downsize to the G70 next time around. Hyundai is doing things right. I bought my daughter a Elantra Limited in 2013 brand new. At 160K it still drive like brand new. Only basic maintenance. Even the leather seats look like new.

Once upon a time Hyundai wasn't that great, but they've clearly evolved into a very reputable car brand. Hell, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Hyundai at all. I think they are now on par with the Japanese cars, which is a good thing.

Once upon a time Hyundai wasn't that great, but they've clearly evolved into a very reputable car brand. Hell, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Hyundai at all. I think they are now on par with the Japanese cars, which is a good thing.
If it's Japanese or Korean it's on my short list, my BMW is on its last legs.

Reactions: Chris