Warn reformulated winch grease?

macleanflood

I break sh!t
Supporting Member
Anybody know anything about this new secret sauce grease?

Might be useful for other applications. Might be nice for repacking winches.

IMG_20231201_205759.jpg

Original article: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a44364210/2024-jeep-wrangler-drive/

-Mac

Reactions: inkedrose
So my contact at Warn let me know that it is Shell Gadus S5-V220-2 and has been in use in several winches (my guess is the ZEON) for a while now. Specs here: https://www.thelubricationstore.com...ell/datasheets/ShellGadusS5V2202DataSheet.pdf One item to note is that there appears to be no Moly in this grease. I do not see anything that jumps out and says this is some wonder grease and you need to switch to it.

Last edited:
So my contact a Warn let me know that it is Shell Gadus S5-V220-2 and has been in use in several winches (my guess is the ZEON) for a while now. Specs here: https://www.thelubricationstore.com...ell/datasheets/ShellGadusS5V2202DataSheet.pdf One item to note is that there appears to be no Moly in this grease. I do not see anything that jumps out and says this is some wonder grease and you need to switch to it.

I have a lot of moly grease around... tractor, excavator, lift, etc...wonder if I should get some of that for my 9xp...need to regrease the gears... practically need another winch to get it to free spool.

-Mac

I would be hesitant to use it. The wording that article uses to describe it tickles my BS detector, like it's some new environmentally friendly grease that makes compromises on performance.

Reactions: macleanflood
Seems like the whole decision to hang a Warn winch as a factory option hinged on the grease... that's either bad writing, bad reporting or id like the rest of that story.

-Mac

Seems like the whole decision to hang a Warn winch as a factory option hinged on the grease... that's either bad writing, bad reporting or id like the rest of that story.

-Mac

I think it is a big dose of marketing fluff mixed with sloppy journalism. There is no consistency of facts in any of the articles that I read or any of the threads on any of the JL forums about the winch. Warn and Jeep have had a very long relationship so it is no surprise that this happened other than taking this long.

So I was given a bit more info this morning that I am not sure adds clarity or a touch more confusion to the mix. When I asked about the lack of Moly in the Shell grease first referenced and if there is a list for what winches use which grease I was told that the service center at the factory currently is using Shell Gadus S5 V150XKD 1 which is a low temp with 5% Moly and has been in service since mid 2022 on all planetary winches. https://evosupplygroupcatalog.sfo3..../eeN4G6RYFSQy9iw6DN34ohbzkUDfnnyaeDDSG0un.pdf This makes sense as the planetary gear boxes do like Moly grease and other than thickener type(and possibly a couple additives) is a like for like replacement for the Philips Moly Low Temp #1. The other thing is the non Moly Gadus they listed is also a #2 weight and I wonder how much that will affect freespooling in colder climates.

So I guess I have a bit more investigating to do.

Got a good source where to buy that Shell grease?

Ill call Napa...but my experience with them is moly or no moly.

-Mac

So I skip parts stores and deal with bulk oil distributors. That means buying in case quantities but I get what I want usually with way better pricing. Looks like there are a few places on line that sell it by the tube and I am going to look at possibly doing the same for ATG if i can get my hands on it.

Napa said they could get some...4-6 weeks and I'd have to order a case...no thanks...just wanted a tube, maybe two...look forward to what you find.

Meanwhile I took the planetary end off my 9.5...tiny trickle of water... didn't go crazy cleaning it...used three blue towels and got the bulk of it...then repacked it with grease from my tractor gun...some generic Walmart moly grease. It'll do for now... definitely helped a bit with the free spool. But it's 46 degrees out so a better low temperature performing grease would be ideal... especially since we do a lot of snow wheeling.

-Mac