Warning about Eastern catalytic converters

BigE11034

Supporting Member
I wanted to throw this out there for anyone considering the eastern catalytic converter. I bought and installed a couple months ago and it did get rid of my check engine light! Great news! Shortly after though, I started to get a rattle under the Jeep. It starts as soon as I start up the Jeep and doesn’t go away throughout all gears. I re tightens all of the bolts on the two main cats, but still rattles. I had my buddy get under with heat gloves and with a very small amount of pressure it goes away, at least at idle and when pressing the gas in neutral. The Jeep runs fine, but I thought I would throw out a warning and see if anyone has had similar issues with this brand? Also if anyone has had any luck making it go away. I thought about adding an additional hanger closer to the passenger side bend to see if that helps. Any help or input would be appreciated.

I have these cats in my ‘05 LJ. One of the issues I noticed is that the heat shield for the rear cat contacts the transmission pan. Maybe take a look there...

If the rattling stops when applying pressure, the issue is not internal.

Following up on this...

I bought and installed Eastern Catalytic 20379 in February 2018. I pulled the cats last week for inspection because I keep getting a lean code (P2098) after driving on the highway for an hour or so. I don't know if what I found today could be setting the lean code but the exhaust pipe in front of the rear cat has a hole in it, like the hanger has ripped it open.

View attachment 195392

View attachment 195393

Following up on this...

I bought and installed Eastern Catalytic 20379 in February 2018. I pulled the cats last week for inspection because I keep getting a lean code (P2098) after driving on the highway for an hour or so. I don't know if what I found today could be setting the lean code but the exhaust pipe in front of the rear cat has a hole in it, like the hanger has ripped it open.

View attachment 195392

View attachment 195393
I had the same thing happen with the Magnaflow cat on my LJ and it was only a few weeks old. I pulled mine down, cleaned it up and rewelded it.
Unless you have an 02 sensor down stream of the crack, that should not be causing a lean code.
Now if you due have an 02 down stream of the crack, your 02 sensor is being skewd due to air being drawn into the system.

Thanks for the feedback. If it's not repairable, I'll make a warranty claim. I don't weld but I do work at a business with a shop so I'll see tomorrow what can be done.

I hate to revive an old thread, especially my own, but I wanted to share the solution I found to my rattle. After a long Utah winter I’m the garage I was under my jeep changing the transmission fluid and just for kicks decided to tap the exhaust. I traced the noise back from the trans skid plate toward the upper cats. One of my O2 sensors was loose. I felt like such a moron.