We really need to talk about this suspension design on the 2024 CanAm Maverick R

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I’ve never seen anything like this before 😬

IMG_8939.jpeg

IMG_8937.jpeg

Reactions: 5632
Interesting. Do they say why?

A new heavy-duty tall-knuckle suspension design prioritizes rider comfort and performance. The design enables the Maverick R to achieve its full potential on the trail or the track, with 25” of travel upfront, 26” in the rear, and 17” of ground clearance. The unique aerospace aluminum suspension configuration also reduces stress on components, providing superior bump absorption, increased torsional rigidity, and improved stability and handling.

Not in any terms that means anything to me.

Reactions: srimes
The heavy-duty tall-knuckle suspension system was developed as a result of engineers studying three main factors, load distribution, improving the roll center height, and geometry. The system is designed to improve load distribution; Can-Am claims, “When cornering, the upper arm will now take on 85% less load on the upper control arm.” I am not going to pretend like I am a suspension designer, but if Can-Am believes in it, I believe in it until I am proven differently. It is interesting and definitely looks different. It appears that there wouldn’t be enough room to clear bigger tires, but Can-Am claims you can fit a 35-inch tire.

CAN_AM_MAVERICK_R_RACEDEZERT-69-scaled.jpg

CAN_AM_MAVERICK_R_RACEDEZERT-68-scaled.jpg

The Maverick R’s come equipped with Fox Live Valve Gen 3 technology coupled with Fox 2.5 PODIUM and 3.0 PODIUM shocks. Upfront the unique heavy-duty tall-knuckle system boasts 25 inches of travel. A 4 Link trailing arm with forged aluminum heavy-duty tall knuckle that pulls 26 inches in the rear, and 17 inches of ground clearance.

https://www.race-dezert.com/home/the-all-new-can-am-maverick-r-is-here-247016.html

Reactions: srimes and Shank
I’d be curious to hear from you @mrblaine, is this a first in regards to a production vehicle? Has this sort of suspension design ever been used in KOH or anything you’re familiar with?

It’s just such an odd design, one I have certainly never seen before.

I’d be curious to hear from you @mrblaine, is this a first in regards to a production vehicle? Has this sort of suspension design ever been used in KOH or anything you’re familiar with?

The new Grand Cherokee's use a "somewhat" similar knuckle idea. I noticed it when my sister had her L and thought it was unique how the upper ball joint is above the tire.

1692641433040.png

The new Grand Cherokee's use a "somewhat" similar knuckle idea. I noticed it when my sister had her L and thought it was unique how the upper ball joint is above the tire.

View attachment 451754

Oh wow, I didn’t realize they were built that way. That’s very interesting indeed.

I guess these guys aren’t going to be running really large tires without spending tons of money.

My Audi was set up that way. Its all about getting the longest arm in there that you can, while keeping the steering axis close to the center of the contact patch. I think its pretty innovative...Definitely skinning the cat a different way. My biggest concern would be the offset loads, and whether that knuckle will handle the meathead that drive these things. Sure, Finite Element analysis can design your part...but when bubba gets his hands on it, WATCH OUT.

The only thing I was going to say after looking at the first pic is they figured out an easy way to reduce the loads on the upper and really make it last longer with far less material.

Reactions: Chris
My biggest concern would be the offset loads, and whether that knuckle will handle the meathead that drive these things. Sure, Finite Element analysis can design your part...but when bubba gets his hands on it, WATCH OUT.

With the way people drive these this was my main reason for scratching my head as to why they went with this setup.

People beat these things up enough. This just seems like one more thing for them to complain about breaking.

My Audi was set up that way. Its all about getting the longest arm in there that you can, while keeping the steering axis close to the center of the contact patch. I think its pretty innovative...Definitely skinning the cat a different way. My biggest concern would be the offset loads, and whether that knuckle will handle the meathead that drive these things. Sure, Finite Element analysis can design your part...but when bubba gets his hands on it, WATCH OUT.

It looks to be designed correctly. The intersection of the main support beam to the knuckle is gradual, beefy where it should be, not beefy where it shouldn't be and all of the angles are done very well. The only thing I can't see very well is the spring on the upper chassis side A arm to see how far apart the inboard pivots are.

I wouldn't worry about the meatheads. They made that thing to go fast in the whoops and outside of a high energy impact with an immoveable object like a rock, it should do very well. Even then, I'll bet the little ear at the lower welded arm for the lower pivot fails first. There is a lot of overhung load there just outboard of a big shock.

With the way people drive these this was my main reason for scratching my head as to why they went with this setup.

People beat these things up enough. This just seems like one more thing for them to complain about breaking.

The beauty of these for manufacturers has always been they can just claim it was the operator's fault and not warranty. I do however see it being quite difficult to actually hit that knuckle/upper beside loads coming through wheel.

On the flip side I have found my RZR to be exceptionally reliable and capable if you are even remotely reasonable with maintenance and driving style.

The beauty of these for manufacturers has always been they can just claim it was the operator's fault and not warranty. I do however see it being quite difficult to actually hit that knuckle/upper beside loads coming through wheel.

On the flip side I have found my RZR to be exceptionally reliable and capable if you are even remotely reasonable with maintenance and driving style.

You know, I read nothing but complaints online from other RZR owners who are always pissing and moaning about how Polaris sucks and yada, yada.

I've never had any issues with mine whatsoever. Granted I don't drive it like a moron, but we take it in the rocks, washes, and on every sort of terrain they have out here and it's been great to me.

As with most off-roading I think it does indeed come down to driving style. I don't load the driveline and then dump it, it's modestly built on 32s, etc.

Not to say something couldn't happen, but I must read a million failed ball joints, blown diffs, and blown driveline threads from other RZR owners that it really starts to make you think, how many bad drivers could there be? :LOL:

That last one is rhetorical, I know the answer.

Reactions: Shank
You know, I read nothing but complaints online from other RZR owners who are always pissing and moaning about how Polaris sucks and yada, yada.

I've never had any issues with mine whatsoever. Granted I don't drive it like a moron, but we take it in the rocks, washes, and on every sort of terrain they have out here and it's been great to me.

As with most off-roading I think it does indeed come down to driving style. I don't load the driveline and then dump it, it's modestly built on 32s, etc.

Not to say something couldn't happen, but I must read a million failed ball joints, blown diffs, and blown driveline threads from other RZR owners that it really starts to make you think, how many bad drivers could there be? :LOL:

That last one is rhetorical, I know the answer.

I've only had two issues on mine (besides I bent a lower control arm on a large rock), one lower control arm bushing which I think was bad from factory, and a sway bar link was loose. I only have 760 miles on it but have had it on some rough trails and over some large rocks. Sadly, I am probably selling soon.

I've only had two issues on mine (besides I bent a lower control arm on a large rock), one lower control arm bushing which I think was bad from factory, and a sway bar link was loose. I only have 760 miles on it but have had it on some rough trails and over some large rocks. Sadly, I am probably selling soon.

I've got 1300 miles on mine but no major issues. It's a lot of fun and goes just about anywhere.

They are toys though so I could understand why they get bought and sold so often. They're impractical for just about anything other than off-roading.

I've got 1300 miles on mine but no major issues. It's a lot of fun and goes just about anywhere.

They are toys though so I could understand why they get bought and sold so often. They're impractical for just about anything other than off-roading.

Limited use plus for this part of the country ATV's are more fun/practical.

Limited use plus for this part of the country ATV's are more fun/practical.

Makes sense. Out here it's very easy to make a SxS street legal and you can use them all over.

I used to have a quad out here but found the SxS is a lot more fun. Sounds like it's a regional thing.

It looks to be designed correctly. The intersection of the main support beam to the knuckle is gradual, beefy where it should be, not beefy where it shouldn't be and all of the angles are done very well. The only thing I can't see very well is the spring on the upper chassis side A arm to see how far apart the inboard pivots are.

I wouldn't worry about the meatheads. They made that thing to go fast in the whoops and outside of a high energy impact with an immoveable object like a rock, it should do very well. Even then, I'll bet the little ear at the lower welded arm for the lower pivot fails first. There is a lot of overhung load there just outboard of a big shock.

Yeah, from a cursory glace it looks correct to me too. I always wonder about the guys doing the design though. They make an assumption on worst case scenarios and design around that. Inevitably, someone comes along that proves them wrong...There is always a more worse, worst case. Do they draw a line in the sand somewhere or is it a matter of they just aren't creative enough? Maybe @sab can shed some light here?

Most people treat SxS like Jet skis and think that the throttle pedal is digital (on or off). All reason and judgement goes out the window. When I worked for Mercury Marine, the extent to which they tested engines blew me away. I asked about it, and the reason given was that if we don't test full throttle for 5000 hours (I'm making the numbers up because I don't remember the answer from 1998, but it was shocking), their warranty claims would be enough to put them out of business. Yet, they STILL had warranty claims. I'm sure SxS's run into the same issues.

I'm sure you remember the viral video that came around about when Ford released the Raptor? They said you could jump it...So A guy went full send on an MX course and launched it off a double. Broke the frame in half! Worst case is relative....