What could be causing a rattling noise on acceleration only?

CJP04

Hey, everyone! I didn't see an introduction section, so I thought I would include a quick wave here! :hello:

I've been dealing with a rattling noise on acceleration for quite sometime and could use your knowledgeable guesses as to what the issue may be, or at least where it could be coming from so I can probe it further.

As I mentioned, the rattling noise occurs only when I use the accelerator and it doesn't matter how fast the Jeep is going. Even on the highway, I can hear the rattling loud and clear. I hear it almost directly under my foot in the driver's seat, and it seems to be coming from the front rather than the back.

I went underneath to check for any lose components within reach, such as the heat shield, and everything from the outside appears tight with no play.

My guess is that the rattling is coming from the exhaust system since the noise only occurs the moment I use the accelerator. The rattling noise could be described almost as broken metal pieces moving around and being disturbed.

I know it's difficult to discern such a common and ambiguous issue with just words, but maybe someone has dealt with a similar issue and found a solution. At this point, any suggestion is better than none! Thanks in advance!

Hey, everyone! I didn't see an introduction section, so I thought I would include a quick wave here! :hello:

I've been dealing with a rattling noise on acceleration for quite sometime and could use your knowledgeable guesses as to what the issue may be, or at least where it could be coming from so I can probe it further.

As I mentioned, the rattling noise occurs only when I use the accelerator and it doesn't matter how fast the Jeep is going. Even on the highway, I can hear the rattling loud and clear. I hear it almost directly under my foot in the driver's seat, and it seems to be coming from the front rather than the back.

I went underneath to check for any lose components within reach, such as the heat shield, and everything from the outside appears tight with no play.

My guess is that the rattling is coming from the exhaust system since the noise only occurs the moment I use the accelerator. The rattling noise could be described almost as broken metal pieces moving around and being disturbed.

I know it's difficult to discern such a common and ambiguous issue with just words, but maybe someone has dealt with a similar issue and found a solution. At this point, any suggestion is better than none! Thanks in advance!
I would think it’s exhaust related too! When you are underneath, keep hitting the exhaust pipe with your palm on different points. You might find a loose connection or nut somewhere. Also, see how much play you have in the exhaust. On mine the rear exhaust hanger isolater was misaligned and it would rattle against the gas tank on acceleration. I know it’s not the front like yours, but just a suggestion.

Check your catalytic converter. The internals breaks apart and will rattle on acceleration. Use your hand and slap the bottom of the cat.if you hear rattle your cat is bad.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CJP04
@dimension12, @tom.gordon.562 , @BayTJ Thank you all for the suggestions! I don't know why it didn't occur to me actually tap on the exhaust system to see if I can hear components rattling.

With these great suggestions in hand, I'm going to go out shortly and tap on the catalytic converter, and other exhaust components, to see if I can replicate the rattling noise. I'll keep you guys posted and thank you again!

Check your catalytic converter. The internals breaks apart and will rattle on acceleration. Use your hand and slap the bottom of the cat.if you hear rattle your cat is bad.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I highly suspected broken components within the catalytic converter, so it was assuring to hear someone else thought of the same potential issue. I'll tap on it shortly to see if I can hear any rattling within.

@dimension12 , @tom.gordon.562 , and @BayTJ . Okay, so I just got back from banging around on the exhaust system of the Jeep and have some videos to document my investigation.

With the first video, I bang on the front part of the catalytic converter and can clearly hear rattling: https://photos.app.goo.gl/H5jFVy76Z5hII3gw1

With the second video, I head to the back of the Jeep to bang on the exhaust pipe and can hear rattling coming from the area of the catalytic converter, likely the same place as the first video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/npgPwPzl6NaktRIO2

To me, it sounds simply like the catalytic convert needs to be replaced. What do you guys make of the videos?

Reactions: Fred123rjc
@dimension12 , @tom.gordon.562 , and @BayTJ . Okay, so I just got back from banging around on the exhaust system of the Jeep and have some videos to document my investigation.

With the first video, I bang on the front part of the catalytic converter and can clearly hear rattling: https://photos.app.goo.gl/H5jFVy76Z5hII3gw1

With the second video, I head to the back of the Jeep to bang on the exhaust pipe and can hear rattling coming from the area of the catalytic converter, likely the same place as the first video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/npgPwPzl6NaktRIO2

To me, it sounds simply like the catalytic convert needs to be replaced. What do you guys make of the videos?
Hard for me to pin point the sound on the 2nd video but I think you have your answer. Your exhaust should not rattle like that. Good news is, a local exhaust shop should be able to fix that rather inexpensively.

You do need a new muffler. That noise could be coming from it. In my shop After removing the muffler for replacement I would tap on the cat with a rubber mallet to verify it isn’t also ready for replacement.

Reactions: CJP04
Hard for me to pin point the sound on the 2nd video but I think you have your answer. Your exhaust should not rattle like that. Good news is, a local exhaust shop should be able to fix that rather inexpensively.

I agree; think it's reasonably safe to assume the rattling is coming from the exhaust. If I could easily remove the catalytic converter, I'd take it off and shake it to really be certain, but it does sound like the noise is stemming from the catalytic converter even without doing so.

You do need a new muffler. That noise could be coming from it. In my shop After removing the muffler for replacement I would tap on the cat with a rubber mallet to verify it isn’t also ready for replacement.

You're right! The muffler is rusting away and there's a rattling noise likely coming from the catalytic converter. In all honesty, I think I'll just get a new exhaust system.

Did you ever replace an entire exhaust system on TJ? If so, is there any welding or cutting involved, or is this something the guys with the right tools should take on? I'd do it myself, but I'm no welder.

That's alright! I'll just keep doing my research, but I'm definitely feeling more confident about the issue now with your guy's help. Thanks again!
Not sure how strict PA testing is but magnaflow has a nicely regarded cat conv if I recall. I think the price is what supposed to be so good as dealer prices are tuff on the wallet sometimes. I would do a lil research if your interested because some say that the claim of legal is subjective depending on state

Not sure how strict PA testing is but magnaflow has a nicely regarded cat conv if I recall. I think the price is what supposed to be so good as dealer prices are tuff on the wallet sometimes. I would do a lil research if your interested because some say that the claim of legal is subjective depending on state

I'm hearing a lot of great things about the Magnaflow catalytic converter, but maybe they offer a full exhaust system too?

After poking around yesterday, I came to the conclusion that the entire exhaust system needs to be replaced. There are rusty components (i.e., muffler), a very loud rattling noise, and possible even some separation near the manifold.