What do i need for tow hooks at beach

john arata

I dont have any tow hooks on my 2004 jeep.Do i need tow hooks or are shackles better.Also how many do i need and front or back.
Also if I get stuck how does the strap or another guys wench attach to tow hooks or shackles sorry for not knowing

Tow hooks are easiest, that's what I'd go for. At least one front and rear is required, two are better at each end. The front tow hooks mount on top of the bumper and are bolted into the frame via the same bolt holes that the OE bumper bolts thread into. The tow hook bolts replace the OE bumper's top mounting bolts. The thread size is 1/2x13 and you want Grade 8 bolts that are about 1" longer than the OE bumper bolts since the tow hook's mounting base is about 1" thick. Tow hooks often come with bolts but they don't always come with the correct 1/2x13 thread size so if the bolt doesn't thread in easily, it's likely not the right size. Make darned sure the bolts you use are Grade 8, common bolts are not strong enough.

hooks.jpg

For the rear, I'd bolt the tow hook to the side of the frame like below. The nut and washer go up inside the frame, there is a slot under the frame you can insert them through. Do NOT drill through both sides of the frame and through-bolt the hook, you want the nuts and bolts inside it. Bolting the tow hook through both sides of the frame would squeeze it together and the bolts would keep loosening. Use Grade 8 bolts here too. Those 6 marks on the bolt heads indicate the bolt is a Grade 8.

Tow Hook.jpg

Last edited:
When you put the tow hooks on the back you will need to drill two holes. The other two are already there. Get the tow hooks from the local farm store. The run about $10 each, in the 10,000# size. NAPA has them as well, but they come with totally useless spring retainers and bolts that are the wrong size.

Reactions: Gibbs
as usual you guys are great
Jerry your amazing and I appreciate all the time you take to explain things with pictures

You're welcome John, pics are so helpful that they just make it a lot easier to make it understandable than trying to explain everything with words. :)

Reactions: Stinger
Jerry do you have any idea what size star bolt is in there, I guess I have to get a bit to loosen it up to replace