What do you use for GPS mapping

So if I just buy an IPad is there a certain amount of memory that I should look for. They start out at 16 GB and go up, I don't see me using this for everyday use more for trails but I want to be sure I have enough GB's> I am not sure how much these maps and GPS apps use ?

So if I just buy an IPad is there a certain amount of memory that I should look for. They start out at 16 GB and go up, I don't see me using this for everyday use more for trails but I want to be sure I have enough GB's> I am not sure how much these maps and GPS apps use ?

Be sure to check the iPad GPS, but here is my Gaia usage and I’ve never cleaned it out (used about 2 years, not as many trails as I’d like):

2EF2B463-A5A0-495E-9FC9-17309D5678FB.png

I think only the LTE version has GPS, but I don’t know for sure. I’d hate for you to buy/bring one to find it doesn’t have what you need.
Wold I be able to connect the Mini to my IPhone that has LTE by Bluetooth and not need this same LTE on the Mini ?

Here are the specs of the current models but I think all versions of the iPad mini are the same. If it is a cellular version it also has GPS. If you are getting one for navigation I would think the cellular version is the way to go. Your phone can share cellular data with your iPad through hot spot but I dont think it can share GPS data. You could consider a used model also. My iPad mini version 1 is still kicking.

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 7.25.56 AM.png

I've been trying out Avenza maps on my Android and like it so far. GPS is pretty accurate when I cut cell signal but haven't really pushed it far off the beaten path yet. Can download lots of custom maps and assuming it's on the Apple store, should work on an iPad or iphone for the GPS usage.

Avenza is what we use for our Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) that has FS land, Private land, and State land. Easy to tell if we're close to private land or the like - plus it has roads on it so we can use it for Administrative purposes.

Best part is if you take an ArcMAP map and export it as a PDF, you can load it on Avenza and make your own for specific places.

Does a phone give you the directions back marking the trail that you took to get to where you are? My GPS does and saves all the information and spots that I have marked so that I can see later.