What Happened?

RattleTheStars

So I have two Jeeps. I drove my 1997 TJ to work this morning and it randomly started making a loud fizzing noise and stopped pulling under its own power. It had been on the road for 25-30 minutes at that point with no prior issues. It will go into gear, it parks and reverses, but it WILL NOT pull in drive or reverse. It turns over and sounds great, then when gas is applied it stops pulling and makes the fizzing noise then idles low, jerks aggressively, and dies. It’s also showing no oil pressure. With that being said, it has a newly rebuilt engine with less than 1,000 miles on it, new oil, oil filter, spark plugs, air filter, gaskets, the whole nine. The only issue the Jeep has had is that I have to prime the fuel pump 3 times before it starts. I don’t know if the issues are connected. I pulled this thing out of a barn, it had been sitting for 14 years, the previous engine had an exploded piston, I redid everything mechanical that I could think of and it ran perfect for about a month. Now we’re back to square one. I’m over my head at this point. I’d like to figure out the issue rather than count my losses and sell it, but I need knowledgeable insight.

F3ABB757-2E68-4252-AFD2-FFE19FFDE224.jpeg

Check the catalytic converter and exhaust system for obstructions.
Verify the fuel pump pressure when running and accelerating (+45 psi).

When I get off work I will do that and check back. So the thing was ate up with rats, I went over every inch of the wiring in the Jeep and electrical, I cleaned and did everything I could think of to ensure no rats caused any issues, and for a while I was cleaning rats nest from the exhaust. I assumed all was well, but now I’m thinking I’ve missed something and it’s clogged the cat. My worst case scenario was the trans blew, but I’m going to check these things before assuming the worst. Thank you for the advice!

i would put one of these
download (3).jpeg

In place of your oil sender to verify oil pressure.

Your fuel rail has an schrader valve for a fuel pressure tester.

You can remove the o2 sensor and plug it back in to the harness to check for a plugged cat by giving the exhaust somewhere to go.