What is red / yellow wire from front right speaker?

Jainee

I couldn’t figure out and find a thread which talks about red and yellow wires coming out of 1998 TJ dash right front speaker wire harness.

The pic isn’t clear but you see the tiny wire in the middle.

E090490B-9391-4E82-8928-808461553C3C.jpeg

When I upgraded my stereo system this summer I had only 2 wires going to the speaker. Looks like you have some sort of purple wire at the tab clip thing above the harness too. I only have a phone to look at. Does your speaker harness actually have that yellow wire in the connector, or is it just a yellow wire taped to the harness for no apparent reason?

Thank you.

On the front right dash speaker I have 4 wires coming out. Purple/blue together which goes to speakers and red/yellow which is just hanging there. I couldn’t find the source of red/yellow connector. The red/yellow connector looks broken.

This is another picture where the two wires are coming out together. One goes into speakers and others Im trying to figure out where it’s used.

A3E7C052-48F2-40E9-95FB-7DBFFECAF7E4.jpeg

Did you get it with the snugpac connectors? Nice touch incase you get caught out in a rainstorm without a top!👍
Sorry but have no idea about the other wires🤯 unless they could be the factory speaker wires, and those other ones the PO upgraded to. The connector ends do have a very similar look to what my stock harness is using🧐. That's my guess and would explain why they were taped up to the new speaker wires.

I think it may be for a four speaker setup vs. a two speaker setup option.
See if there’s a matching connection on the driver’s side.

That might be for a floor light the Cherokee in the late years had something like that
https://www.justforjeeps.com/courte...MI35GS1Oqu5QIViB-tBh2w_ABgEAQYAyABEgLsK_D_BwE
Yeah, I think you’re right. I think those floor courtesy light wires are pink/white and yellow. Looking at the photo again I can see what looks to be a white tracer on the “red” one. I’ll have to look at mine in the daylight tomorrow, to be sure.
OP, is there a small domed courtesy lamp under the dash and above the footwell? Sometimes people unplug them for whatever reason. If it’s completely missing, there’ll be a half-moon divot and screw hole just under the dash where it mounts, if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jainee and Fonz54
It is indeed for the courtesy floor lamp. My idea of the color pink and Chrysler’s idea of the color pink are apparently different. It looks red to me. Wire diagrams say different.
3E4EF5B9-9F9F-4195-A3D3-085BCFA98BBC.jpeg
DD0E6BDC-D489-4D10-AB53-75F1A0EED9B2.jpeg

Reactions: Jainee and reddvltj
Thank you! This is awesome.

The pinkish/ red wire does have a white stripe and it looks like it’s a courtesy floor lamp.

Now I have few more questions about this lamp. It looks like the lamp is missing or I couldn’t locate it.

1. The courtesy floor lamp is only on passenger side? Or also on driver side?
2. Where is it located?
3. How does it work?
4. Is there any other choice? I see videos about LED upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

Should be wired for one on either side. The Mopar courtesy light linked above is what you’ll need. As far as an LED replacement, get the lamp housings and see what lamp it comes with or the base style it takes. It looks like the lamps at the link takes a 906 wedge base, but do double check before ordering replacements. The lights in my 98 required an 1156 LED, not the 194 listed in the “Replacing the interior lights” thread.

It was the courtesy lamp wire but the connector is broken. I bought the Mopar courtesy light but I’m not able to find the right connector to go with it.

any Advice on connector?

got the light housing on eBay and it was connected with 194. I switched the LED from super bright lights because the original was cheap and low.
All works great! Both door switches and dome and courtesy light. The LED switch is awesome and nice cool white bright.