What is this for?

HDs&LPs

Working on a 2004 TJ rubicon manual transmission. I’m working through the wiring harness behind the dash and came across this wire connector. Can some wise TJ wrangler enlighten me?

1B0CC537-8678-45FF-A90F-6F48A0430732.jpeg

8EB0DEB1-B45D-4393-A317-482B010A3655.jpeg

Doesn't look familiar to me off hand. Try taking a look at your factory manual, it's available for free in the TJ Resources sub forum. Page 8-W80-1 has a representation of every connector, you can scroll through there and see if you find it.

Edit: if you scroll further you'll find diagrams off all the harness locations & their termination points, might help you narrow it down further based upon its location.

I have an 04 Rubicon with a manual as well. I've looked at qslims suggestion. Not one harness listed matches. Where did you find it? I see the airbag module in the background. Was it right there? I can look to see if it's in mine too.

Does it look factory? Or like someone has installed it after the fact (albeit, well)

I ask as I just pulled a Mitsubishi Igniter out of mine, which uses the same plug, but was definitely a home job.
I'm now wondering if this was some sort of "performance" upgrade, or maybe it is factory in later model TJs, so someone retrofitted into my 97

Either that or we are dealing with completely different things!

F66DE4A7-31AB-4873-95F0-CC9B5E58D9F9.jpeg

E3E5AD41-B81D-4A9D-A0BB-D0A1891F4E24.jpeg

9E2B98BB-5E78-4A50-BCB5-400853B69A2F.jpeg

This was definitely a hack job, spliced into the ECM plug.
I didn't have the time or energy to figure out exactly what wires, but the Jeep still runs fine without!

When I put Air Conditioning in my 2000, I was pleased that all the plugs needed for the compressor, high and low pressure switches etc. were already there tucked back in the harness. Just a wild guess but if that is a factory plug it may be for an option you don't have. Chrysler is know to build with just one harness, all the plugs there for what ever options are or are not ordered.

B

When I put Air Conditioning in my 2000, I was pleased that all the plugs needed for the compressor, high and low pressure switches etc. were already there tucked back in the harness. Just a wild guess but if that is a factory plug it may be for an option you don't have. Chrysler is know to build with just one harness, all the plugs there for what ever options are or are not ordered.

B
Aside from maybe the temp sensor rearview mirror, what factory options weren't included in the Rubicon as standard? Maybe heated seats? Was that even an option? Remote start or block heater for Canadian models? Subwoofer? I'm not well versed enough in the available options to do anything but guess.

I’ll take a look at mine in a couple hours but could it be for the venter council sub woofer? Mine is out but the plug is still there.

I just looked at my jeep and my center council plug is totally different. It looks is your center council out? I can’t tell by the photos. Could it be for an auxiliary power port inside of it?

It looks like it is factory installed. It is in the same branch of the wire harness as the Airbag control Module, PRNDL Lamp, a ground, & Parking Brake Sensor. The cable is about 7 inches so I'm thinking its an unused attachment or something else. It was just a weird looking connector.