What should I do about this rust? Also, build log.

penk

TJ Enthusiast
Hey Jeep geeks. I posted this over on my build log but I understand folks don't track that ad hard (follow if you're tired of me spamming general discussion :)

But this one is like advice on next step. While I was fixing my horn I saw this rust under the front left fender. It looks raggedy enough I'd like to do something about it. Should I just wire brush it down to something shiny and prime it? I'd prefer to replace whatever this is with something less fuzzy.

9bec7c2bee555bd991e8cfa6832e3e4f.jpg

Advice please?

geek. berlin, ma. 2000 TJ. http://planet-geek.com

You got it man. Wire wheel that thing down to bare metal and get as much rust off as you can. Once you do that, use a rust encapsulator or something like POR15 (which I prefer). That will have you lay down a primer first, then a final coat.

That should be the process for any rust you find. Remove as much as possible first, then paint over it with the encapsulator or POR15 (or similar).

You got it man. Wire wheel that thing down to bare metal and get as much rust off as you can. Once you do that, use a rust encapsulator or something like POR15 (which I prefer). That will have you lay down a primer first, then a final coat.

That should be the process for any rust you find. Remove as much as possible first, then paint over it with the encapsulator or POR15 (or similar).
Okay cool. But what is this thing? Looks like a cap or cover to something. Should I just remove it?

The pic is looking up under the front left fender.

geek. berlin, ma. 2000 TJ. http://planet-geek.com

I'm not 100% sure what that is, and I'm not anywhere near my TJ or else I would go look. If it's a cap and it comes off, then remove it, buy a new one (a rust free one), and that eliminates some hassle.

Otherwise, maybe someone like @Jerry Bransford knows what this is?

Just to make sure we are on the same page-- drivers side fender?
If it is a replaceable part, get rid of it and replace! Get that nasty POS out of there. If not, like Chris said wire wheel it down but DONT REMOVE TO SHINY metal if you are going to POR15! That stuff needs rust to stick. When ou get done keep a close eye on it. That is the type of cancer that is very hard to eliminate!

Reactions: Chris
That round thing isn't ringing a bell and I don't have steel fenders any more so I could take a look. I just walked outside with the intentions of looking underneath the fender to see what it was but then I saw the Poison Spyder aluminum fenders. They've only been there something like five years lol. DOH! o_O

I'd wire brush it down to bare metal, give it a coat of Rustoleum primer than some Duplicolor or similar matching color aerosol spray paint.

Last edited:
Reactions: penk