What would you get?

Metzler98

Hey all, I'm trying to decide between a few TJs that I've narrowed my search down to. The two in the running are pretty different from each other and I don't know which way to go. Hoping all of your expertise can help me out. Thanks in advance.

I owned a YJ back in college, and it was a blast. I never had enough funding to build it out the way I wanted. I want to be able to take the family out on some trails, and occasionally get rowdy with my friends. Like most jeeps out there, this'll be 95% on tame trails and picking up groceries. I'm in Colorado, so the opportunity isn't far away.

Contender 1:
1998 Jeep TJ Sport
190k miles
5 speed manual, 6cyl
  • Unknown, looks like Rough Country lift ~4" and 1" body lift, adjustable control arms.
  • Dana 44's
  • ARB onboard air
  • ARB lockers
  • full roll cage (appears to be a home job, looks solid and is tied into the frame, but not super pro)
  • Warn rock crawler bumpers front and rear, rear has swing out
  • SYE driveshaft
  • rock sliders (that don't appear to have ever been hit)
  • Quick disconnect swaybars
  • Older warn winch, that needs some love, has a remote plugin on the fender
etc etc. Aside from everything having a fair amount of use, this is essentially how I'd like to build up a TJ.
Asking ~14k

Contender 2:
2006 Jeep TJ Sport
119k miles
6 speed manual, 6cyl
  • Zone offroad 4" lift
  • Teraflex shocks and stabilizer
  • Stock axles
  • Quadratec winch
  • ARB bumpers front and rear, rear has swing out
  • Detroit LSD
Being 8 years newer, with a lot fewer miles it feels a bit more solid, has more creature comforts.
Asking ~12k

#1 - 1998
Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 7.38.45 PM.png

#2 - 2006
Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 7.39.10 PM.png

Last edited:
1998 has an AX-15, more desirable transmission and 44s vs 30/35. Plus lockers vs LSD.

No mention of gear ratios?

IMHO I'd snag the 98...I have a 97 and I like the less complicated electronics.

I have the Warn rock crawler bumpers. I love the nostalgia but I'm considering swapping them for lighter aluminum ones. That and a Morryde hinge reinforcement and bar to move the spare to the tailgate. One less swinging object in the way to stuff.

Either of them have the rear seats?

Good luck... don't think you're going to make a bad decision either way.

-Mac

Reactions: inkedrose
1998 has an AX-15, more desirable transmission and 44s vs 30/35. Plus lockers vs LSD.

No mention of gear ratios?

IMHO I'd snag the 98...I have a 97 and I like the less complicated electronics.

I have the Warn rock crawler bumpers. I love the nostalgia but I'm considering swapping them for lighter aluminum ones. That and a Morryde hinge reinforcement and bar to move the spare to the tailgate. One less swinging object in the way to stuff.

Either of them have the rear seats?

Good luck... don't think you're going to make a bad decision either way.

-Mac

The 2006 has a rear seat, and the front seats aren't all torn up either. Interior is rough in the 98, and pretty good in the 06.

06 has stock gearing.
98 has been swapped out, and the ratio feels right. Must be 4.56? but I am guessing.

I'm an automatic snob, so neither would be on my list. Anything that might would be as close to stock as possible, miles be damned!

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I usually opt for the newer TJ’s. You get more with the 98 capability-wise, but the 06 affords you more $$$ that can go for customization. Besides, we don’t know the gearing in the 98 and you may have to go in anyway.

Edit: I see it has been regeared. Maybe it’s right, maybe it’s not.

I like to make a rig mine, so unless the 98 drops to $10K, 06’ all the way.

Last edited:
If you are ready to work in your TJ yourself, given this choice, I would take the 190K one. I assume that lockers and gears in the diffs are in the good shape.