What is the best brand of matching spray paint for a TJ?

Baltimoreed

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
When I relocate my Tj’s turn signals from the fenders to the grille ala’ the Cj, I will need to paint my filled in fender work. My truck’s purdy paint color is Steel Blue Pearl. Whats the best matched DIY rattle can paint available? Possibly will get it repainted at some point as I’d rather have the pocket flares match the body and there are a few small body issues but I’m just concerned about my signal project for now. Thx.

Last edited:
Reactions: billiebob
Don't know about quality compared to the mopar paint but duplicolor has most factory colors and you can pick it up at O'Reilly's

Reactions: RussTJ
I used Duplicolor from Advance Auto on a project and was happy with the match but it wasn’t really an exposed surface. I had bought a fender to replace my rusted out original. The replacement fender was in great shape but I went along the under side seams with Por 15 as a preventative measure. I used the Duplicolor paint to go over the Por 15.

Blue is one of the worst colours to match. UV fades blue faster than any other colour. It'll be a crap shoot no matter what you use on a 15? year old vehicle.

Kudos on the relocation tho. It is maybe my top wanted next mod. What did/will you use for lights?

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
My TJ is steel blue as well. I just painted the front passenger front fender, passenger side door window surround, part of hood cowl, and rear passenger corner.

The paint is real good, and really pops once clear coated. It is thin and will run easy. So light thin coats, especially on vertical surfaces. The bonus is the drying time is fast. Within about 30-40 minutes after final coat, you can clear coat.

https://www.quadratec.com/mopar/jeep-touch-up-spray-paint-can
21E0ED27-3F38-4F55-8DB3-9A1A5F17FB42.jpeg

Blue is one of the worst colours to match. UV fades blue faster than any other colour. It'll be a crap shoot no matter what you use on a 15? year old vehicle.

Kudos on the relocation tho. It is maybe my top wanted next mod. What did/will you use for lights?

Painting to a body line or panel is the best scenario. It isn’t easy to blend with a surrounding area, but is possible.

I was more concerned with removing some rust and getting a good paint and clear coating over it. Next will be wash, polish then wax. My TJ isn’t a show vehicle! 😁

Knock knock, is this the Steel Blue TJ party ? 🥳
Not knowing what its like over there but I got my local auto shop to make up the colour you can use the paint code on the inside of the passenger drivers door jam.
I got a pretty good match although the NZ sun has faded mine quite a bit.

Are you sure about that? 😜
I bought it this winter and after painting and clear coating, it is necessary to polish the clear coat and then wax it for protection. It hasn’t been washed since I took ownership. No, it’s not a show vehicle, just in need of some TLC.

I appreciate the humor though! 😁

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
Ive got no experience w Duplicolor. Maybe it’s better than Mopar. Honestly, the Mopar paint matched well, but didn’t really lay down nicely. Ive had smoother and easier application w generic Rustoleum spray cans. Cant say exactly why that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive got no experience w Duplicolor. Maybe it’s better than Mopar. Honestly, the Mopar paint matched well, but didn’t really lay down nicely. Ive had smoother and easier application w generic Rustoleum spray cans. Cant say exactly why that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really don't know. Mopar may be better, but i know duplicolor matches a lot of oem paint codes from toyota to jeep to whatever and is a little cheaper. Duplicolor 8 oz is the same price as mopar 5 oz.

I really just threw it out there because you can pick it up at the local auto parts store and it seems to match ok and also lays down ok. It is pretty thin though. I had to add a coat or two after i thought i was done. Sounds similar to the mopar experience. Hopefully I'll use some more this weekend on some little stuff and see how it goes.

I'm also not painting body parts so close is good enough.

I've used Automotive Touch Up as well and have been happy with the results. The color coat is easy to match, but getting the clear coat the match the same gloss as the original is much more difficult.