Where can I download a 1994 YJ owner's manual?

dudehitt

TJ Enthusiast
Just got off the phone with my dad. I got the se from him because 4 cylinder, soft top, bad ac, didn't think he could flat tow the auto trans.

He has a cj (manual trans) he tows for hunting. I got the tj when he decided he needed a new dd. He got a mildly lifted 1994 yj hardtop 6 cyl. auto but he thinks he needs to pull the driveshaft to tow it. He has the owner's manual, but if i could tell him where to look for towing instructions maybe he'll give me a deal on the cj. The carb on that thing is a nightmare, but i love that old jeep.

Anybody know where i can download a 1994 yj owner's manual so i can tell him where to look for towing instructions?

I though everybody in the world knew that anything with any transmission could be flat towed with the transfer case in neutral.

Sorry, I was exaggerating, not trying to pick on your father.

My son said it should be in his YJ owners manual but he has no idea where that book is so we can't help with where to look. I did check the manual for my TJ and it's listed as "Recreational Towing" in the index.

A couple Cautions in my manual: *with my take added*

"Front or rear wheel lifts should not be used."
*Both axles/driveshafts should pretty much spin the same speed.*

"Damage to the transmission may occur if the transmission is shifted into P (Park) with the transfer case in N (Neutral) and the engine running."
*When the transfer case is in neutral everything inside the transmission will be spinning when in gear and shifting into park at that time would be like shifting into park while driving.*

Beyond that, I hope you get him confident in flat towing his YJ and you get a deal on the CJ.

Last edited:
Reactions: dudehitt
I though everybody in the world knew that anything with any transmission could be flat towed with the transfer case in neutral.

Sorry, I was exaggerating, not trying to pick on your father.

My son said it should be in his YJ owners manual but he has no idea where that book is so we can't help with where to look. I did check the manual for my TJ and it's listed as "Recreational Towing" in the index.

A couple Cautions in my manual: *with my take added*

"Front or rear wheel lifts should not be used."
*Both axles/driveshafts should pretty much spin the same speed.*

"Damage to the transmission may occur if the transmission is shifted into P (Park) with the transfer case in N (Neutral) and the engine running."
*When the transfer case is in neutral everything inside the transmission will be spinning when in gear and shifting into park at that time would be like shifting into park while driving.*

Beyond that, I hope you get him confident in flat towing his YJ and you get a deal on the CJ.
You dont tow CJ's long distances, the dana 300 does not have a lubrication way for the upper rear bearing unless the transfercase is clocked flat.