Which transmission do I have?

EternalHobbyist

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ok, I have always assumed I had an AX-15 transmission. However, now that it is time to change the oil... I'm second guessing it. Mainly because I'm having trouble finding a youtube video that shows one with the drain holes in the same spot. This is most likely due to my sucky search skills. Soooooo I came here for some wisdom.

2000 TJ 4.0L 5 Speed Manual Was originally Dana 30/Dana 35.

Tell me, oh wise ones, which trans might I have??

NV3550

NV3550 drain & fill plugs.jpg

@Jerry Bransford If I am uncertain what fluid was last used in my transmission, is draining and filling it with Redline MTL sufficient? Or does it need to be flushed somehow to clear out the previous fluid?

If it needs to be flushed, is there a write up that you know of that covers that?

@Jerry Bransford If I am uncertain what fluid was last used in my transmission, is draining and filling it with Redline MTL sufficient? Or does it need to be flushed somehow to clear out the previous fluid?

If it needs to be flushed, is there a write up that you know of that covers that?
There's no need to flush it, a simple drain and refill is all that's needed.

Hint: Loosen your fill plug before draining it — only because draining it and then finding out you can't get the fill plug loose really would suck.

Interestingly, every single youtube video I watched on this topic said that. I'm guessing this has happened to people more than once. lol

Might as well do the transfer case while you are at it.

Yep, the Atlas, both difs, engine, power steering, and brake fluid are all already completed.

I'm considering a full coolant flush next. It would be nice to have a single year for when everything was most recently replaced.