Whining noise when accelerating or decelerating

Chasitek

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I know there are lots of threads on whirring and whining noise but I can’t find one with the exact same symptoms/problems. My jeep is whinning whenever accelerating or decelerating in gear. The second I push the clutch in, it stops. If the jeep is in neutral and I rev it, the whirring starts again and shortly stops when the rpms go back down to idle. I’ve heard it could be u joints, pinion bearing but are there any other ideas? I realllyyy don’t want it to be the pinion bearing as I have no money to replace it if it is and no presses or any equipment to do it myself. I originally thought it was the transmission since it would only sound when accelerating and decelerating but because it happens when I rev in neutral, doesn’t that mean it has to have something to do with the engine since the clutch or flywheel and transmission arent engaged? I’ve also come to the assumption that it isn’t the pinion bearing since the sound stops when the clutch is engaged but the car is still moving (therefore the pinion and driveshaft are also moving). Could it be the power steering pump pulley? I do need a new pump as it whines when I turn but when I replaced the belt about a month ago, everything seemed fine. Nothing was loose. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Here is a link to a video I recorded of the noise.

Last edited:
Sounds like your input shaft bearing. With the trans in neutral and clutch is engaged the bearing spins but with the clutch depressed the input shaft slows and stops.

Reactions: Chris
Yeah, from what I've read, this does sound a lot line your input shaft bearing.

My whining usually comes from the right seat..that's too fast, that's too steep, it's hot, dusty, and on and on...

No really she is a great partner to wheel with, I just couldn't resist.

Is your Jeep lifted? I bought a Jeep that was already lifted and it turned out the pinion angle was off by about 3 degrees. Over time that slightly incorrect geometry ended up messing up the cardon joint. I had to replace the driveshaft and correct the pinion angle. Try removing the rear drive shaft and take for a spin in 4x4. If you don't hear the noise you know it has to do with the drive train after the trans case.