Why are Jeeps so expensive?

CJ, YJ, TJ best vehicles ever. Contrary to popular opinion I love driving it on paved canyon roads. The handling since the YJ is comparable to any other convertible but you can also drive it across the beach. My first vehicle was an M38 in 1974. Hopefully my last one will be a 2door JT. But I'll keep my TJR till they take away my drivers license.

I bought my '05 TJR in 2011 with 60K miles on it for $13,800. Probably one of my best buys ever. It now has 230,000 miles on it.

And TJs are not expensive, they just don't depreciate as fast as a Chevy.

DSC_0022.jpeg

I think one of the big things that also contributes to the value of used Jeeps is that there's a lot of appeal to a used Jeep over a new Jeep in a lot of cases as well. I mean, they're cars that are built to handle rugged terrain and be used in a lot of fun scenarios, which means that when it's used, you're less afraid of getting a scratch in the paint or other stuff that you wouldn't want to happen to a used car.

This is one of the reasons I don't want a new JL. I don't want to throw a bunch of money at a new car that feels too fresh and shiny to truly enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
😁 Hi my name is Nick, I am an Jeep Addict.
I can not control myself.
I must talk about jeeps
own jeeps.
and constantly "improve" the jeep to match my personality and dreams in life.
It symbolizes strength, courage, and freedom.
I can go anywhere in my jeep
and I can accomplish anything in my jeep

Traded my 07 Tundra for a 05 TJ and my insurance went down .
Yes, same here.

The frequency of deer strikes and driver fatalities is more than double that of Wranglers. ICBC says it is because so many pickups are company vehicles driven with wild abandon. Wranglers are almost always owner driven and seldom to remote job sites.

My TJ is $840.00 a year. A pickup $1260.00.
Thats for basic PL&PD, no collision, no glass, no comprehensive.
That was a major factor in deciding to use my TJR as a tow/work truck instead of an F150.

I think one of the big things that also contributes to the value of used Jeeps is that there's a lot of appeal to a used Jeep over a new Jeep in a lot of cases as well. I mean, they're cars that are built to handle rugged terrain and be used in a lot of fun scenarios, which means that when it's used, you're less afraid of getting a scratch in the paint or other stuff that you wouldn't want to happen to a used car.

This is one of the reasons I don't want a new JL. I don't want to throw a bunch of money at a new car that feels too fresh and shiny to truly enjoy.

I agree. I see alot of 1 year or 2 year old Wranglers for sale at a local car sale facility. Older TJs get snapped up quick while the newer Wranglers seem to sit. The older TJs just have that certain look and feel. Reminds me of the International Scout ll I had back in the 70's. It was the one with the short pick up bed. Only a 4 cylinder but that thing was able to go places I did not think possible.

I agree. I see alot of 1 year or 2 year old Wranglers for sale at a local car sale facility. Older TJs get snapped up quick while the newer Wranglers seem to sit. The older TJs just have that certain look and feel. Reminds me of the International Scout ll I had back in the 70's. It was the one with the short pick up bed. Only a 4 cylinder but that thing was able to go places I did not think possible.
Yup. I think a lot of older 90s and early 2000s cars are highly desired since they just the right amount of technology to be enjoyable and comfortable cars that can easily be worked on yourself compared to the later era cars that are heavily bogged down to complex electrical systems that interact with a touch screen system that is wildly different from make/model/year of car to the next.

Reactions: Twopoint
CJ, YJ, TJ best vehicles ever. Contrary to popular opinion I love driving it on paved canyon roads. The handling since the YJ is comparable to any other convertible but you can also drive it across the beach. My first vehicle was an M38 in 1974. Hopefully my last one will be a 2door JT. But I'll keep my TJR till they take away my drivers license.

I bought my '05 TJR in 2011 with 60K miles on it for $13,800. Probably one of my best buys ever. It now has 230,000 miles on it.

And TJs are not expensive, they just don't depreciate as fast as a Chevy.

View attachment 91628
Man look at the country behind this guys rig...incredible.

😁 Hi my name is Nick, I am an Jeep Addict.
I can not control myself.
I must talk about jeeps
own jeeps.
and constantly "improve" the jeep to match my personality and dreams in life.
It symbolizes strength, courage, and freedom.
I can go anywhere in my jeep
and I can accomplish anything in my jeep
Sir, we need to warn you that you will lose sight in one eye .

Once she bites your your ear off, your hat will fall over it.

Just another way the forum helps it’s members.

• Haha
Reactions: Sam Solo
In 2003, my wife wanted a Jeep. We found a CPO, 2001 TJ Sport, loaded. All options that year. Dual tops, big tire group, etc. super clean, we negotiated and walked out paying $16k. We wanted the new Rubicon, that came out that year, but they MSRP for $30k and they didn’t discount on them.

Fast forward. 2019. After kids, which prompted the sale of the last TJ. We wanted another. I said...but our dream TJ, a Rubicon. Found a super clean one, loaded, manual, 2004, 58k miles, paid $16k. I have the original window sticker for it. All options but fog lights. It was just at $30k or so.

We were happy, laughed about paying that much for it, but it was worth it to buy a clean one with the right color, options, what we would have bought new. Odd but life works like that sometimes. In high school I wanted an early bronco. I was 17, it was 1996, found a super clean 1974, he wanted $5000. That was a lot of money for me and I could not do it. Have you seen THOSE prices?!? FML..

I traded in an 83 cj-7 with 13,000 miles ,had no clue.

Nice Bronco values are amazing , and when you are young , 5 grand seems unreachable.

Kudos for paying your way , and for jumping back in the Jeep game ..I did the same .

Reactions: Rick Flair
Wranglers appeal to the widest range of people. There's no other vehicle I can think of where it is common to see both fat old men and teenage girls behind the wheel.

Reactions: AndyG