Why is my passenger seat not locking?

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I noticed that my passenger side seat doesn't lock when returned to the normal seating position. It folds and tumbles like it should, and I don't see anything obviously broken, but it will not lock back in place. Any suggestions on what to look for?

Edit: For clarity, when I say doesn't lock, I mean I can lift it up without using the lever.

I noticed that my passenger side seat doesn't lock when returned to the normal seating position. It folds and tumbles like it should, and I don't see anything obviously broken, but it will not lock back in place. Any suggestions on what to look for?

Edit: For clarity, when I say doesn't lock, I mean I can lift it up without using the lever.
The cable that runs from the little handle to the latch mechanism- ive fixed them with bike cable and the little squeeze on ends for stops before.

Reactions: Tob and Irun
The cable that runs from the little handle to the latch mechanism- ive fixed them with bike cable and the little squeeze on ends for stops before.
I didn't see a broken or pinched cable. Do they stretch to a point where they won't work?

I didn't see a broken or pinched cable. Do they stretch to a point where they won't work?
Yes they sure can...I try to lubricate everything periodically-

Do you see the arm under the seat move when you flip the lever up on the side of the seat?

Yes they sure can...I try to lubricate everything periodically-

Do you see the arm under the seat move when you flip the lever up on the side of the seat?
I'm going to check that when I get back home. Thanks for the lead!

Reactions: AndyG
I'm going to check that when I get back home. Thanks for the lead!
You’ll get it...I’ve seen enough pictures of yours to know it’s in good hands

Reactions: Irun
I laid my passenger seat back flat to put two boxes on it, nothing heavy. Up till this point there were no issues. When I went to adjust the back to its upright position, not only would it not latch but now the seat itself slides front and back. I'm gonna check for stuck coins, but is there a way to disengaged the lock by pushing the back down to far and the upper lever not being in the right position. If it helps its on 08 rubicon 2 door with 26k miles. So nothing should be broken. Thanks for any help

I laid my passenger seat back flat to put two boxes on it, nothing heavy. Up till this point there were no issues. When I went to adjust the back to its upright position, not only would it not latch but now the seat itself slides front and back. I'm gonna check for stuck coins, but is there a way to disengaged the lock by pushing the back down to far and the upper lever not being in the right position. If it helps its on 08 rubicon 2 door with 26k miles. So nothing should be broken. Thanks for any help

This is a TJ forum. We won't be able to help much with JKs.

1705809444578.gif

I skipped the JK, but I once had that problem on my TJ when a rear bolt was protruding a bit too much to let the seat lock.

Any chance you have seat covers?

I have the Bartact covers and they put just a bit of pressure on the lower seat lock release lever.. enough that the lever doesn't lock unless I press it down.

If you’re talking about the seat back not wanting to lock, I had that when I bought my Jeep. After looking around, I found some coins (a dime and a penny, I think) wedged in the pivot point area. After getting those out, it’s worked fine.