Why the TJ is still the best Wrangler (news article)

In the article it refers to TJ as the "Top Jeep". I thought "TJ" stood for True Jeep. But, I'll take the Top Jeep identification. Sounds better, eh? Still, I digress. It's just nice to see these sort of things about the vehicle that I choose all those years ago.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
The Jeep letter designations of TJ indicate the generation for the Jeep; '97-06 (3rd), YJ '87-95 (2nd), JK 07-18 (4th) and CJ '44-86 (1st).
There were no names for the Jeep letter designator other than the CJ was dubbed the Civilian Jeep when it was first produced.

A real jeep, the real jeep, the true jeep...get it ;)
real jeep.jpg

real jeep.jpg

We sold our 1967 Jeepster station wagon in 2017 cashing in on the 50 year meet at Moab.

I started looking for a CJ8 but as I was trying to find on prices were rising past what I sold the Jeepster.

So then I started looking for a Unlimited Rubicon.

It took two years to find the one I was looking for and an 800 mile road trip to get it.

I thought JK meant... Just Kidding. And JL meant... Just Laughing. And JT meant... Just Terrible.
After all they are just Fiats now.
Fix It Again Tony

Last edited:
We sold our 1967 Jeepster station wagon in 2017 cashing in on the 50 year meet at Moab.

I started looking for a CJ8 but as I was trying to find on prices were rising past what I sold the Jeepster.

So then I started looking for a Unlimited Rubicon.

It took two years to find the one I was looking for and an 800 mile road trip to get it.

I was at that event. Which one was yours?

$27k for a New 03 Rubicon. 😂 lmfao.

it was $43k, my SE was 17k.

the wife’s 10 year anniversary JK was only $36k

bought the 10ya Rubicon because i couldn’t afford the Rubicon when it debuted in 03

Reactions: JeepZilla380

bought the 10ya Rubicon because i couldn’t afford the Rubicon when it debuted in 03

I've seen the Chrysler window sticker for an 05 TJR and it was $29,XXX. I can't remember what the sticker price was for the 06 LJR. Anyway, these had 3500 and 2500 miles respectively on them. They just sat in this climate controlled room with some kind of jet fuel in the lines to keep them from disintegrating. There were other details about keeping the engine and lines from having issues, but it was 2018 when I took these pics and had the discussion with the owner, and I can't remember. That is the last Solar Yellow TJR ever produced. It was a special run at the request of a Jeep dealership owner who had virtually every model. They now belong mostly to the family member who owns these two gems.

IMG_9743.JPG

Last edited:
I really think the TJ platform is still the best too. Here are a few things I think that make it the best and some of the things that I think were sub-par.

Best
  • The 4:1 TCase
  • The rear Dana 44
  • Coil springs on all 4 corners
  • Approach and departure angles

Sub-par

• The front Dana 30 on non-TJR's. Knowing that Jeep owners like to modify with bigger tires, it would have been nice if they had built an axle that supercedes the outers on the front Dana 44 on TJR's. Something that could run 35's, even though back then 31's were a big tire.
  • The shovel. I don't have the answer to this, but our answer is a small body lift, motor mount lift, and push it up out of the way. It is an off-road vehicle.
  • The stock fender height. They learned through aftermarket hilines to move those up to make room for bigger tires.
There's a lot of original brilliance and now nostalgia attached to the TJ. I really enjoy mine and watching you guys do brilliant things with them, especially mrblaine.

I've seen the Chrysler window sticker for an 05 TJR and it was $29,XXX. I can't remember what the sticker price was for the 06 LJR. Anyway, these had 3500 and 2500 miles respectively on them. They just sat in this climate controlled room with some kind of jet fuel in the lines to keep them from disintegrating. There were other details about keeping the engine and lines from having issues, but it was 2018 when I took these pics and had the discussion with the owner, and I can't remember. That is the last Solar Yellow TJR ever produced. It was a special run at the request of a Jeep dealership owner who had virtually every model. They now belong mostly to the family member who owns these two gems.

View attachment 440235

I think my '05 LJR was $32k sticker price. That was alot of $$$ back in 2005 for a Jeep.

My 06 sticker was almost 32K according to the window sticker report, I'm pretty sure it has most options.

Attachments

• 2006 LJR Window Sticker.pdf
    38.4 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: JeepZilla380

I know. The prices on these Jeeps are crazy now. I paid $20K for my '97 Wrangler Sport fully loaded from the factory, with a hard top, AC, Chrome Tube Bumpers and side steps, Mud Guards, Aluminum Sport Rims, and everything that I could think of at the time. Now a fully loaded Rubi would be like $70K. Wow!
But, I missed ordering the heavy duty Winch on it, which I regretted, but I never off road it, well slightly maybe twice but nothing real rough, because I remembered a horror story that I saw with a guy that brought a beautiful new Subaru 4x4 when I was in high school. He started off roading it, and by the end of the first year it looked nearly totaled. For some reason that broke my heart for him. In the back of my mind, I guess I vowed that that wouldn't happen to me, if I got a new 4x4. But, I bet it is fun by all the wonderful pictures I see here in the forum.