Will a high pinion Dana 30 axle from an XJ bolt into my TJ?

Ryan

TJ Enthusiast
So at my work we have a 99’ cherokee (xj) that the operators tool around the plant in but the company is going to be auctioning it off along with other various vehicles. Employees get first dibs and there gonna have a silent auction highest bid gets it. It does have a HP30 in it and was thinking about throwing $100 bid out and snag the axle out of it and rebuild it how i want to and throw it in my tj, My plan is to rebuild the axle new gears, shafts, truss kit, sleeves, c gussets, locker etc....
Now other then the gears being reverse cut is there any other reason why this wouldn’t bolt right into my tj? Or will there have to be modifications? Thanks for any advice.
53A5F094-1765-4A63-BBF9-66601ABC765F.jpeg
9455CCDF-5688-4009-B4FA-96ECF15E6F76.jpeg

Screw the axle. Those things are worth good money. Buy at $100 and take the money you make off the sale and put lockers in your Jeep. There is nothing wrong with the LP Dana 30.

Reactions: Chris
Screw the axle. Those things are worth good money. Buy at $100 and take the money you make off the sale and put lockers in your Jeep. There is nothing wrong with the LP Dana 30.

also agree with this.

I was going to build in a new axle housing anyway to minimize the downtime of my rig (build axle, swap it in an afternoon) and the HP (with CAD) was basically free and helped me avoid having to address some of the other issues I would have had to deal with on my LP housing.

There are very specific reasons someone might truly need a HP axle but it's not that common. Basically if you need an extra 3" of driveshaft clearance to keep it out of the rocks or contact with the skidplate. The strength issue is overblown, and from what I can tell it doesn't help significantly with caster vs pinion because the pumpkin is clocked 3° closer to the inner C's which washes out the angle you gained from raising the driveshaft.

So your saying just flip the entire Jeep? What do these things even go for? It’s a little beat up lol but mechanically sound
DBFDB46B-AA29-45E8-9516-C4B27D263B4A.jpeg
EA7F8E0C-6427-484D-8F61-BE05EFD65797.jpeg

So your saying just flip the entire Jeep? What do these things even go for? It’s a little beat up lol but mechanically sound View attachment 184507View attachment 184508
The HP 30 is marginally better IF you're doing more hardcore stuff. I sold my 99' with the HP30 and 8.25 rear, lifted on 33s for $7,000 exactly two months ago to get my Rubicon back. You might get $2,000+ depending on mileage, condition = Michigan RUST. If it's decent, $500 would be a steal to resell it. Keep in mind the XJ Unibody rust is worse than TJ frame rust. I paid $3,000 for mine stock in VGC with 130,000 miles and zero rust. The owner didn't like the Desert Sand color. I've had 3 Jeeps that color and love it. It matches dirt and mud so you can wash it less often.:D
XJ 4 8 3.jpg
XJ 3 1 2020 best uhaul (2).jpg

Last edited:
The HP 30 is marginally better IF you're doing more hardcore stuff. I sold my 99' with the HP30 and 8.25 rear, lifted on 33s for $7,000 exactly two months ago to get my Rubicon back. You might get $2,000+ depending on mileage, condition = Michigan RUST. If it's decent, $500 would be a steal to resell it. Keep in mind the XJ Unibody rust is worse than TJ frame rust. I paid $3,000 for mine stock in VGC with 130,000 miles and zero rust. The owner didn't like the Desert Sand color. I've had 3 Jeeps that color and love it. It matches dirt and mud so you can wash it less often.:DView attachment 184521View attachment 184510
Damn, 7k? I might advise my buddy to lift his and sell it lol he's been wondering what to do with his after he fixed the floor board rust. Good to know they can sell good in our area

Reactions: TheBoogieman
The HP 30 is marginally better IF you're doing more hardcore stuff. I sold my 99' with the HP30 and 8.25 rear, lifted on 33s for $7,000 exactly two months ago to get my Rubicon back. You might get $2,000+ depending on mileage, condition = Michigan RUST. If it's decent, $500 would be a steal to resell it. Keep in mind the XJ Unibody rust is worse than TJ frame rust. I paid $3,000 for mine stock in VGC with 130,000 miles and zero rust. The owner didn't like the Desert Sand color. I've had 3 Jeeps that color and love it. It matches dirt and mud so you can wash it less often.:DView attachment 184521View attachment 184510
That’s a nice looking rig!

XJs on 33s are just perfect. I had a 99 and loved it.

That’s a nice looking rig!

Thanks. I planned on keeping it, but when I got my Rubicon offered back to me for $9,000 and he only drove it 1200 miles in two years and kept it in his garage, I had to get some quick cash. It took me under a week to sell the XJ. The 17 year old new owner loved it. He sold the old Suburban his dad gave him. :)

Last edited: