Windshield frame rust questions

BeaverTJ

Good morning all,

New TJ owner here.

I just purchased a 2004 Wrangler X and noticed that there are a couple of spots on the windshield frame that have rust. First, how bad does it look in these pictures? Second, what is the best way of getting in there and stopping it from rusting more while I wait to get a new windshield frame? I’ve heard of a couple of products but I’m new so any advice or opinions are appreciated.

I know that this is a common rust area and I should have checked before purchasing. Tbh I was more worried about the frame this close to the winter months.

A56BE764-CD0C-48CA-BEFF-39788D65D4A4.jpeg

834B035D-2455-4664-B708-6D56AFF5C1A2.jpeg

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. I plan on inspecting the whole thing this weekend. I’ve been lurking on the other threads for the last couple of days and haven’t been able to find a used frame through the links provided there. Thinking I might need to go aftermarket and pray.

Those that have done this do you just take the new frame and old frame into a window shop and ask them to swap the glass? What seals, etc should you buy in addition to the metal frame?

Those that have done this do you just take the new frame and old frame into a window shop and ask them to swap the glass? What seals, etc should you buy in addition to the metal frame?
I bought a W/S frame w/ glass and sold the old frame w/ good glass for $50. I did not replace any of the seals but I put some beads of silicone on the bottom seal.

When I did mine, I cut out the glass and installed it myself. You'll be able to reuse the seals as long as they are still in good condition.

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. I plan on inspecting the whole thing this weekend. I’ve been lurking on the other threads for the last couple of days and haven’t been able to find a used frame through the links provided there. Thinking I might need to go aftermarket and pray.
Try car-part.com It searches all the junk yards. When I needed one for mine, I searched and actually found one in the color I needed. I did have to drive a few hours away to get it.

Will do! Thanks Andy!
Yes, definitely do car-part.com if you can't find one on craigslist or fb marketplace. You can use the earlier windshield frames but if you want to retain the interior plastic surround you will have to cut some slots in the earlier frame. Finding one the same color you can bolt on is the way to go.

My window frame was in the same exact condition... I had a replacement window frame sandblasted and its perfect. I do have a question...Where can I get a replacement plastic protectors where the rooftop latches go that protects the paint from scratching? I dont know what they would be called to do a search.

Also, since I work in aerospace, I am able to get some aircraft PPG chemseal to seal the window frame to prevent any water to get in, but I like to know where is the problematic area that water gets in to avoid rusting ever again...or just seal every crack there that is and call it done?

Last edited: