Would you buy this TJ? If so, for how much?

Would you buy it?

• Yes, it's a steal at $12.5k!

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • It looks like a solid TJ, but the price is too high. I'd pay...

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • That's a solid pass. Here's why...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If you're even remotely considering a JK over a TJ, you should do that because...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

amongmany

Considering purchasing a TJ for both around town and adventuring. It'd be my first Jeep. Been heavily debating between a TJ/LJ and JK. I've found a TJ that appears to be in solid shape from the few pics? Would love to get some thoughts from forum members.

Images are here.

Details:
2002 Wrangler Sport
4.0L
Auto Transmission (my preference for daily driving)
~80,000 miles
Current owner has had it for ~2 years and put 15k on it during that time.

Hardtop, appears to be lifted a fair bit (bilstein shocks; unknown lift kit), rear tire swing, aftermarket head unit, looks to be running 33's or 35's on aftermarket wheels. Probably needs 4 or 5 new tires relatively soon.

Asking $12.5k (KBB is 8-10.5k). Bear in mind, I'm in SoCal where everything costs more. Vehicle is local, so an in-person look-see and test drive would absolutely be in order. Probably a pre-purchase inspection as well.

Thoughts?

Looks to be in very good shape, don't see any rust issues from the one photo of underneath. More photos would be better. Everything else, with the exception of the lift, aftermarket flares, and the Smittybilt bumpers, seems stock. I would take a guess that it is a Rubicon Express lift with the Bilstein shocks. I wouldn't call it a steal, but an ok price. I'd offer $10k and go from there if you drive it and are satisfied that it drives ok, doesn't have any undue noises or handling issues, everything (transfer case in all ranges) works, and indeed is rust-free.

Also, you should find out if the axles have been re-geared to accommodate the larger tires.

Looks to be in very good shape, don't see any rust issues from the one photo of underneath. More photos would be better. Everything else, with the exception of the lift, aftermarket flares, and the Smittybilt bumpers, seems stock. I would take a guess that it is a Rubicon Express lift with the Bilstein shocks. I wouldn't call it a steal, but an ok price. I'd offer $10k and go from there if you drive it and are satisfied that it drives ok, doesn't have any undue noises or handling issues, everything (transfer case in all ranges) works, and indeed is rust-free.

Also, you should find out if the axles have been re-geared to accommodate the larger tires.

Yeah, I've sorta mentally ear-marked the $10k pricepoint (or below) if I go with a TJ. As it gets higher than that, I tend to lean toward spending a bit more for a something that's not ~16 years old.

Good point on the gearing. The owner bought it as a dealer (assuming it was traded in) a couple of years ago. He mentioned that he doesn't have a mod list, so I'm assuming he's been driving it as-is for 2 years and won't know whether it's been regeared. The original equipment list shows 3.73's for this model, so...probably OK if they're 33's and perhaps not great if they're 35's.

Yeah, I've sorta mentally ear-marked the $10k pricepoint (or below) if I go with a TJ. As it gets higher than that, I tend to lean toward spending a bit more for a something that's not ~16 years old.

Good point on the gearing. The owner bought it as a dealer (assuming it was traded in) a couple of years ago. He mentioned that he doesn't have a mod list, so I'm assuming he's been driving it as-is for 2 years and won't know whether it's been regeared. The original equipment list shows 3.73's for this model, so...probably OK if they're 33's and perhaps not great if they're 35's.
Be sure to take it up a long grade on the highway on the test drive if you can. That will let you know pretty quickly if the 3.73s are 'OK' with the tire size it has.

Reactions: amongmany
Doesn't look too bad. There's not alot of "no turning back" style mods that alot of people have on jeeps they sell. It looks quite sunfaded from the pics, which isnt a huge deal, just most likely means it isnt garage kept.
80,000 miles isnt bad at all, but i've never been the type of person to be scared of a high mileage vehicle.
In my opinion, its an 8500 dollar jeep max. If it were me, i'd look for a better deal. I waited months and months before i found my 99 for $5500 and i have no regrets at all. (I am from Texas, jeeps are cheap and rust free down here.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

It does look clean, is your goal to find a pre-built one like this or mod yourself? Regardless of THIS jeep, do you plan to put aftermarket front fenders on your build or would you prefer to have stock front fenders/flares?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It does look clean, is your goal to find a pre-built one like this or mod yourself? Regardless of THIS jeep, do you plan to put aftermarket front fenders on your build or would you prefer to have stock front fenders/flares?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I don't have a specific goal. Just found a TJ that looked like it might be a decent buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If the frame is clean (I'd need to see more photos of it), then 12.5k is a fair price I think.

I paid 20k for my TJ Rubicon with 60k miles, which is around what they go for in these parts (rust free of course).

Just a few words about TJ/LJ and JK. Of course, everyone on this forum loves TJ’s/LJ’s. The reasons are many, but some are that they are easier to work on, the bulletproof 4.0, more rugged, more Jeepy. Of course, every Jeep owner thinks they’re Jeep is the last True Jeep. But the TJ/LJ really is! If you like to work on your Jeep, have endless option of mods, and save some coin up front, then a TJ or LJ is for you.

I paid 12 for a 2005 with 46,000 miles in Dec of 2016, in TX. So, in CA, I’d say that’s a good deal. Aim for 10 and see if it can settle around 11-11.5. AS LONG AS ITS RUST FREE (which doesn’t mean no surface rust, but no frame rust eating from the inside out.)

Its a good jeep but I would not pay more then 10k for it unless it has a Dana 44 in the rear then I could probably be convinced 12.5 is a good deal.
Downside: It will need to be re-geared in order to get back the stock performance approximately 2k. (done at shop)
It has a transfer case drop so I am assuming it needs a SYE approximately $500 w/driveshaft. (done yourself)
Strangely though it does have upper and lower adjustable control arms which are Rubicon express but since it has the tc drop I am guessing the owner couldn't get the angle correct and added the drop.

Bottom line is if you have any mechanical skills you could probably tackle most the small things this jeep needs on your own with a bit of time and it is a solid foundation to start on. But if your going to be going to a shop you may be better off finding a jeep that is closer to stock.

I bought a 2003 TJ Sport. It was at a Jeep dealer. I paid 15k. I am also in So Cal. Mine had about 75k on it. Soft top. Stick. No rust. Dana 44 in the rear. 4” lift with 33” tires, which were shot. My gearing was off, I had to have it re-geared, I had an ARB locker installed in the rear during that. I ended up replacing all brake disks and pads because they were warped. It was easier to just start over and know what I had. Obviously, even though the price seemed premium, I had to dump money into it to make it right. That dealer would not budge on the price. Not even a little. I made them change the light switch because the fog lights were coming on by themselves. The radiator had been replaced as well by the Jeep dealer. Sadly I didn’t find anything cheaper or better during my search. So Cal is ridiculous when it comes to the price of pretty much anything. BTW, all said and done, I love my Jeep. I wish I had gotten it for less, but it’s been a great Jeep in great condition other than the minor stuff I already dealt with. I hope you find the Jeep that suits your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk