WVJeep304's never-ending 2002 TJ build

WVJeep304

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've lurked here since before I bought my TJ almost 3 years ago and only recently made an account. I decided it was finally time to introduce myself and my 2002 TJ.

After wanting a TJ for many years, I finally found a great deal on a solid Jeep back in March of 2021. We already have a black JKU, and I've had 3 other black vehicles in the past that all made me swear I'd never own another, but for the price and condition of this TJ, I couldn't pass it up. I bought it from the second owner, who purchased it from his neighbor. The only reason for selling was because his wife told him it was time to get rid of some of his 13 vehicles. He'd barely even put any miles on this one since he owned it. The hard top had never been off, the Jeep had never been offroaded, and it is a 4.0 5spd that had only 103k miles. The best part, I got the price down to $7500, which is ridiculously cheap in my area. Here's what she looked like the day I brought her home--faded top and all.

Ppshbxm.jpg

m6uL8SW.jpg

So as soon as I got it home, I started making a to-do list. Since I don't have a lift in my garage, I decided it best to just take it to my buddy's shop and do the work there. We went through EVERYTHING. Changed all fluids, replaced a leaky pinion seal, all new brake hardware and lines, new seals in the steering box, and searched for rust. The only rust was a couple of spots in the usual places on the tub-- passenger side rocker area below the door, and under the tire snubber on the rear directly above the bumper. Easy fixes for a later date.

So 90% of the work I did was preventative, something I do for every vehicle I buy. This Jeep was bought for fun, but also to be a daily so that I didn't have to put miles on the 3/4ton Silverado I bought 3 weeks earlier. So after around $2k worth of parts and a few hours of effort, I felt she was roadworthy.

Once home, I decided the first things I needed to handle were the anemic sound system and the faded hard top. I bought new Kickers for the soundbar and some Pioneers for the dash and paired them to a cheap single din bluetooth media player until I decide on something better. So far, at closing in on 3 years later, they've treated me well. I also built a sub box for a 10" sub I had laying around and all together they make listening to music in the TJ a pretty enjoyable experience.

As for the hard top, I cleaned it really well, degreased it, taped everything off, and then coated it with Flood Penetrol. It definitely required a little bit of time and sweat (mostly because I'm OCD and everything has to be just right) but it turned out looking better than I could have imagined. The finish still looks fantastic today.

QaB7mxB.jpg

po8vzYg.jpg

vc5BcYi.jpg

I spent a month or two deciding on my suspension. I knew I wanted to lift a little, but didn't want to go too high. Partially for the cost it would require for much more than 2", and also because my fiancé is 5'2" and has a hard time getting in as it is. I decided to go with 2" Pro Comp springs and RS5000x shocks. I also threw on a set of 15" Pro Comp 1061 in a polished finish and wrapped them with some 31/10.50 General Grabber A/Ts. At this point, I was pretty happy with the look. Although I figured out quickly that thanks to some driveline vibes, I would have to install a TC drop. No biggie.

RCglwE4.jpg

Reactions: MountaineerTom
So after a few trips to Fayette County and the New River Gorge area for some exploring, eating awesome food, and general sightseeing, a stroke of bad luck hit--1.5hrs from home. The radiator puked all over the parking lot as we waited for a table at our favorite restaurant. Upon first visual inspection, I couldn't see a problem, and decided to limp it to a parts store a few blocks away for some more coolant. I made it as far as a gas station a couple blocks up the road and she started to heat up again. I pulled off, shut 'er down, and found the culprit.

V6i84Fb.jpg

After not being able to get a wrecker, a friend and his wife pulled their trailer to us, helped us load up, and took us back home. We pulled in the driveway around midnight. Once I got the Jeep in the garage, I immediately started searching for a Mopar replacement. Summit had them in stock and had one in my hands in about 36 hours. Back on the road!

But not for long.....

I kept noticing coolant disappearing from the overflow jug. Pressure tests revealed no issues. I saw no leaks anywhere. After a couple of months of this, I finally dug deep one day. With the engine running, I looked through the oil cap while revving the engine and lo and behold-- coolant gurgling up from a crack between 3 & 4. SO.....this is where Just Empty Every Pocket comes from.

I ordered a new head from Clearwater, new rockers, pushrods, plugs, injector seals, head gasket, idler pulley, and everything else I could think of within reason. The biggest issue is this was in the height of the covid shortages. Once the head finally arrived, the Jeep had been sitting headless for a month. It took another month for the other necessary parts to arrive. To say I wasn't impressed with the quality of some of the parts would be an understatement. After all the money and waiting, I had to go through and clean up, debur, and re-drill the rocker arms because they looked like absolute trash. A couple of other miscellaneous parts had to be returned/replaced, then finally I was ready to reassemble.

ChWtfTZ.jpg

Rj1pphl.jpg

OEpDFZe.jpg

I spent the next few months doing little things here and there, including stripping the interior and giving everything a good deep clean. At some point, I finally got sick of driving around in a fishbowl and had all the windows tinted with 20%. I added some Auxbeam lights to the front bumper, removed the airbag switch and made a panel from Kydex to take its place. I ended up putting a 12v outlet and a double USB outlet in it. This is a prototype at the moment, as I wait for my sister to 3d print the final piece. I also ordered some parts and pieced together a cell phone mount and added a Kenwood TK880 programmed for GMRS. A few more adventures and several hundred miles of fun until I found myself again replacing the radiator. The Mopar replacement with less than 7k miles on it failed at the crimps for the top tank. I kept the radiator to have it re-crimped, but in the meantime I ordered and installed a Denso unit. 8k miles later and it's treated me well.

CjsTUtx.jpg

1Wx3fWK.jpg

xMwWQAj.jpg

t5UjujI.jpg

OwttzmC.jpg

OtQ2jws.jpg

I now decided to go ahead and grab some bumpers. I had a very specific look I was going for, and happened to catch what I wanted at a good price. Slapped them on one saturday afternoon and have been really happy with the difference they make in the appearance alone. It was about this time I also decided to go ahead and replace the windshield cowl seal. I was a bit nervous what I might find when I folded down the windshield, but was pleasantly surprised to find no rust, no issues. I installed the new seal and no longer have any water finding its way into the cab.

CP5zewP.jpg

8WfJECl.jpg

GSBetdW.jpg

dfmCDXv.jpg

1DBgr9E.jpg

So, that pretty much brings us to today. I don't, and don't plan, to do any real hard core rock bouncing or anything. My friends and I just really enjoy trail riding and some milder stuff. We run our Jeeps on some land my buddy owns that we're in the process of converting to a private shooting range and general hangout area and they've been invaluable for accessing that property and getting work done while we get the road built for less capable vehicles. I now have some BDS 3" springs awaiting install after some issues with the Pro Comp springs. I can't get around to that until I have the upper spring buckets cut off and replace/relocated as they've majorly deteriorated in the last couple of years. Once that's done, I'll move on to a new Moryde spare tire carrier & hinge reinforcement kit. A re-gear, lockers, SYE, and some other mods are in the works, but I have some decisions to make before pulling the trigger on any of those. I'll try to keep this thread updated as the TJ progresses.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and nice looking Tj. You've done some nice work to it so far. Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to the forum and nice looking Tj. You've done some nice work to it so far. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! This forum has helped me make several decisions already. While I haven't done anything revolutionary, hopefully as I keep this updated, there may be some info that helps others.