YAFNGFF

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Yet Another Friggin' New Guy from Florida...
... who's wanted a Jeep since forever and figured I should post a brief into. A friend had a '48 Willys pickup in High School, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever with no less than 4 gearshift levers. I also read a book as a "young adult" about a 14-ish year old boy who solved the town mystery and saved "the world" or somesuch with an abandoned Jeep he found in a barn.
Toyed very briefly with the idea of trading off my '85 Mercedes towards a new one, but my loathing of touch screens and "technology" in cars won out so this '06 Wrangler X came home with me. 4.0, manual, 3.73s with anti-spin in the back. Looking forward to making it mine, figuring on a mild lift (2") and 31s or so on the stock rims. I do wish I could twin stick it though, but can't have everything. Of course, maybe eventually an Atlas could find its way into it, but no time soon. Red wouldn't have been my first choice in color, but its hardly my last either and my wife likes it. All Jeeps should be olive drab or at least medium to dark green! ;)
7.jpg

I have ZERO idea, this was at least 40 years ago. I remember early in the book the protagonist hitches a ride with some guy in a flat fender, and he agreed with this Jeep's owner that flat fenders were superior. He ended up buying the Jeep at an auction with some help from his Dad or Uncle or somebody. They had let the air back out of the tires to try to hide the fact that it ran, but the publicity of what the boy had done to save things (which I no-longer remember that either) drove the price up but he won the auction after the male relative told him he cover the extra cost. He also was able to get a farm exemption license to drive the Jeep at the end of the story. That's about all I remember, ring any bells? I wouldn't mind reading it again.

Been forever since I read the story, but I believe we're thinking of two different ones. Be that as it may, the one you're referring to sounds like a great story for a gear head to read, regardless of age (some of us never grew up!)

Reactions: Zorba
Definitely my first choice of color ;)

Now you really just have to get the top and doors off that thing. You are in Florida after all, so you have no excuse. Though it is hurricane season, right?

I'll have the top of from time to time in the winter - its just too damn hot in the summer and I try to stay out of direct sun as much as I can. Thinking about one of those sunscreen widgets for when the top is off. Wife says "NO!" to removing the doors though - I might have to surprise her!

Been forever since I read the story, but I believe we're thinking of two different ones. Be that as it may, the one you're referring to sounds like a great story for a gear head to read, regardless of age (some of us never grew up!)
Some quote about the difference between men and boys is the price and complexity of their toys? I have a large amount of disparate interests - ALL of which give me GAS.

• Haha
Reactions: Squatch
I'll have the top of from time to time in the winter - its just too damn hot in the summer and I try to stay out of direct sun as much as I can. Thinking about one of those sunscreen widgets for when the top is off. Wife says "NO!" to removing the doors though - I might have to surprise her!
My wife said the same thing at first, and now she demands it! I removed the top last week to get the family out for a little quarantine cruise break on our first 60 degree day and the wife was really bummed I didn't take the doors off too (it was going to dip back into the 40's the next day, I just didn't feel like it for one ride).

Reactions: Zorba and Squatch