Your evolution as a mechanic

Definetly not a mechanic so much as a hobbyist. In highschool, first car I bought was a 97 Xj with 220k miles, and my best friend had a 01 Xj with 260k, so me starting to work on vehicles was pretty much born out of necessity :LOL: My mother was dating a guy at the time who had been wrenching for the last 25 years, so hung out with him and learned a decent amount. Then the gf came along with a 93 Yj, and completed my first engine swap on it (though it was decently easy, went from 4 cyl to 6 cyl).
Also, chose to be a wheeled vehicle mechanic in the Army National Guard because it got me into a high speed unit. The school for it was kind of a joke and dumbed down like most army schools are, but I had to learn alot very quickly when deployed because me and one other person were the only mechanics on the base we were at, besides a couple of contractors. Favorite story from that is repairing a bullet hole in intercooler piping with a soup can and duct tape while outside of the wire, a trick I learned from patching a hole in my exhaust on my shitbox Xj in highschool until I could save up enough money to get it fixed :LOL:

Reactions: RussTJ
Yes, impact wrenches are great. I used to fix cars for a living so I have a bit of a spread, but I've found that the impact wrench I use the most is my 3/8. It doesn't do lug nuts or suspension, but it's perfect if you're doing interior work or anything else under the hood. It's small and light and is wonderful for jobs that require a bunch of fasteners.
I bought one of the Kobalt 1/2" 24v impact wrenches last year. It has stupid amounts of torque, so much so that it will easily twist the heads off frozen bolts if you are not careful. Great for lug nuts and working on farm machinery, but I think I will end up buying a 3/8" version for more routine work on the TJ.