Building Homer (2005 TJ Build Thread)

My wife is all for the Jeep! She bought me beadlocks! What a blessing!

You've got a good one there! With me buying the Savvy engine skid, my wife and I were reminiscence about her gifting me the SkidRow engine skid for Christmas while we were dating. She managed to get it wrapped and I love her for it!

She is beyond supportive of the money hole that is Homer... I'm blessed on that front! ;) Any time to add a feature that benefits her -> So much the better!

Reactions: Wildman
Reactions: FarFire70
Been a busy time so the Jeep has been hanging out in the driveway. I'm limiting his time on the road until I replace the Dana 30 seals. Drive him to the local Lowe's for a couple trips but pretty much parked him... Seals are only seeping but I don't want it to get worse and start leaking worse before I replace them...

For those who didn't see this thread, my focus has been on a major upgrade to the garage:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/work-bench-garage-version-2.74283/

I'm over the moon on this new garage setup!

For what I did to Homer recent (other than order more parts to add to the shelf until I get active with him after the Dana 30 seals...), I pulled him in the garage today.

PXL_20240428_021613461.jpg

He fits nicely in the middle of the garage without all the other crap crowding the floor...

Yesterday, I put in my mind the plan to pull him in today to field dress him to take a first doorless drive with the new setup. But the weather decided to be in the 50s today... So he's here today to get doorless Monday for a ride!

Weather is looking great tomorrow for a doorless drive, but I'll be busy —> Wife and I have a friend watching the twins and we're heading down to Dover for the NASCAR race! Let's go Chase! 🏁

Last edited:
Been a busy time so the Jeep has been hanging out in the driveway. I'm limiting his time on the road until I replace the Dana 30 seals. Drive him to the local Lowe's for a couple trips but pretty much parked him... Seals are only seeping but I don't want it to get worse and start leaking worse before I replace them...

For those who didn't see this thread, my focus has been on a major upgrade to the garage:

For what I did to Homer recent (other than order more parts to add to the shelf until I get active with him after the Dana 30 seals...), I pulled him in the garage today.

View attachment 522398

He fits nicely in the middle of the garage without all the other crap crowding the floor...

Yesterday, I put in my mind the plan to pull him in today to field dress him to take a first doorless drive with the new setup. But the weather decided to be in the 50s today... So he's here today to get doorless Monday for a ride!

Weather is looking great tomorrow for a doorless drive, but I'll be busy —> Wife and I have a friend watching the twins and we're heading down to Dover for the NASCAR race! Let's go Chase! 🏁

Nothing like a well organized shop. The rig looks great sitting in there.

View attachment 522398

Garage looks great! Clean setup. Do you plan to put some pegboard on the wall? I love pegboard for all the major tools I use. Easy to reach and put away.

Rig looks good. I like the GR fenders. Even the aluminum looks good with the khaki metallic.

The weather is getting close to being good for topless and doorless. Of course, I’ve already removed my top and put on my half doors. I can’t wait and everyone who rides with me just has to deal. I love it with a beanie, coat, seat heaters and the heater blowing full steam!

Nothing like a well organized shop. The rig looks great sitting in there.

Garage feels great getting to this new stage! Thanks! Agree - He looks good in his renewed home.

Garage looks great! Clean setup. Do you plan to put some pegboard on the wall? I love pegboard for all the major tools I use. Easy to reach and put away.

I've considered pegboard. I had some on the little workbench that this new one replaced. It was under-utilized and I was re-using 40+ year old hooks that weren't the best size-match. May need to re-try pegboard for a better experience.

Rig looks good. I like the GR fenders. Even the aluminum looks good with the khaki metallic.

Thanks! I was planning to paint them but I too think the aluminum is looking good with the khaki. I may still paint portions of the front fenders (much like you did on yours) but I'm planning to keep the flares raw aluminum (if i can get them to clean up - right now they have a good bit of build-up that I need to get after...)

The weather is getting close to being good for topless and doorless. Of course, I’ve already removed my top and put on my half doors. I can’t wait and everyone who rides with me just has to deal. I love it with a beanie, coat, seat heaters and the heater blowing full steam!

Saw that you put on the half doors in your thread - Looking good! I've convinced myself that I don't need half doors but maybe some fabric doors — and then I see post like yours and I think I'm wrong about the half doors... :LOL:

I miss the chill in the air rides. Years ago, I drove my wife to work for an hour on the highway in upper 30s/low 40s in March without doors or windows. I had gotten too excited for the 'false spring' warmth and pulled everything off the Jeep. She was in good spirits about it and showed her coworkers, who saw her arrive, that she's a bad ass!

Reactions: JMT and Wildman
It's a telling point that I haven't pulled him apart in too long when I got excited and pulled off the driver door and realized I forgot to disconnect the door-limiter strap... 😵

Luckily, my wife was in the garage with me so she could help holding up the door while I pulled off the strap.

Embarrassing to admit here but, eh... :ROFLMAO: We all have a moment...

• Haha
It's a telling point that I haven't pulled him apart in too long when I got excited and pulled off the driver door and realized I forgot to disconnect the door-limiter strap... 😵

Luckily, my wife was in the garage with me so she could help holding up the door while I pulled off the strap.

Embarrassing to admit here but, eh... :ROFLMAO: We all have a moment...

If it makes you feel any better I've done a LOT worse.

If it makes you feel any better I've done a LOT worse.

Just a forehead slap moment... lol. As I went to pull the cord, I realized the door would end up on the floor so glad for the extra hands. Could have put it back in it's home, but had help nearby.

I told my wife - 'This is embarrassing, I'll put it up with the update'

Her question: 'Why tell them?'

Me: 'They'll get it.'

:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
if i can get them to clean up - right now they have a good bit of build-up that I need to get after...)

A couple weeks ago I went over mine with a green scotch brite pad because I had some corrosion from the winter chemical they put on the road here. It was fast and easy. I just went in the same direction and it’s something I’ll do annually now.

I miss the chill in the air rides. Years ago, I drove my wife to work for an hour on the highway in upper 30s/low 40s in March without doors or windows. I had gotten too excited for the 'false spring' warmth and pulled everything off the Jeep. She was in good spirits about it and showed her coworkers, who saw her arrive, that she's a bad ass!

Very impressive. I don’t think I could pull that off with my wife! Kudos to her!

I see your doors off up there! Looks good. I never thought I’d get half doors, but these weird things popped up for $200 and they were a project, so I said, “why not?” I love a good project!

Very impressive. I don’t think I could pull that off with my wife! Kudos to her!

I see your doors off up there! Looks good. I never thought I’d get half doors, but these weird things popped up for $200 and they were a project, so I said, “why not?” I love a good project!

That's a steal! I would have jumped on a set at that price too.

Reactions: JMT
After the drive, I swung in town to grab lunch for my wife and me. Pulling into the town parking lot, I came up on a Dodge Ram who started driving really slowly.

After I parked, I hopped out to find out the Ram had circled back and an older gentleman had his hand out the window...

He gave me my first ducking...

PXL_20240429_165259151.jpg

He was a nice guy and mentioned he has a Jeep and always rides around with ducks to hand out to Jeeps he likes.

I'm not a fan of the practice of ducking but it was a nurse and my mom's a retired RN, so I couldn't toss it. Brought it home for the boys. Caleb chewed on it until he passed out with it for his afternoon nap...

You got ducked!!! Neener, neener, neener…😜

• Haha
Will say that the OEM stereo system with a Pyramid sub replacing the OEM sub was surprisingly punchy from what I remember while topless (gotta fight the wind). Bass hit harder than I recalled, turned down the volume a few times (rocked the Smashing Pumpkins Hits CD on the ride) to be sure it was the sub making the noise/vibs and not the engine... lol

I have all the parts for a stereo replacement to get installed this summer... Can't wait to see how it does over this 'worn out' stereo.

Curious to see how long the NSG370 lasts 🤞 We live just off a 2-lane each-way 'highway' so plenty of U-turning and throwing gears to get up to speed to merge into oncoming traffic. Engine felt strong, trans and axles felt good. I won't change my driving style (tossing gears when it's a fun ride or gotta-go... smooth shifting usually) so hopes are the trans holds up over time (Had it torn apart and serviced maybe 10 years ago - fresh fluid within the past year).

Just a good time throwing a manual again!

FLASHBACK to 2010: I went to a dealership to add SKIM to my Jeep. I bought the parts from the dealership's Parts Department and scheduled an appointment to have it programmed (after I installed the SKIM until in the column in the parking lot). Well, they f'ed it up at first, not realizing it wasn't a replacement of the SKIM but instead an add. They told me the expected to have to send the ECM back to Jeep to get it right... After an hour of work, they told me they had it working.

Flash forward, I think I had tried the SKIM once before, but I was always hesitant to test it because it was by DD...

For a few years, I regularly had the P0633 code (Immobilizer Key not Programmed - ECM / PCM)... I wasn't ever sure if the SKIM was actually working. Again, DD so couldn't risk a brick...

—-

FLASH FORWARD: This evening...

CONFIRMED! SKIM works as expected!

Started Homer with the original (non-SKIM key) and the 'key with a slash' lit up on the dash and engine died within a second or two. Tried it a second time, engine died again.

Used the gray SKIM key and he started right up! (y)

I checked the CEL before this and it had no codes. No idea how the P0633 figured itself out..

But at least I know the SKIM is working right! Piece of mind...

Drove him to work today. It was so enjoyable getting back to driving him again doorless & topless in nice weather. It's probably been 4 years since he was drivable and able to be enjoyed daily!

Looks like rain tomorrow so he'll hang out at home tomorrow... Thursday looks good.

—-

Ordered seat foam based off the recent thread that Summit now offers the foam (https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/tj-seat-foam.77477/).

I have seat heaters in the basement that will go in, so figured 'while I'm there'...

Need to repair a hole in the driver seat I created years ago at work when I forgot I had a philips screwdriver in my back pocket... 😕

New switch panel arrived today along with the new switches (two sources, ironically showed up together).

Switches:

eBay user: on_board_air_usa -> Has a great selection of OEM-style switches

Seat Heater

Air Compressor

I'm not 100% sold on the air compressor logo used, but I'll see if it grows on me in the Jeep,

Switch Panel:

custom3dfab.com

https://www.custom3dfab.com/collect...p-tj-lj-switch-panel-6-oem-4-carling-switches

I added the 12V socket they recommend and a couple Carling-style blanks.

——

Put everyone (new) together:

PXL_20240501_224731380.jpg

PXL_20240501_224934252.jpg

PXL_20240501_225103363.jpg

I plan to add the 'Defroster' and 'Rear Wiper' OEM switches to the top next to the seat heater. I have an OEM blank plug for the remaining opening.

Bottom will have the rear locker switch that's in the Jeep now.

I also have a USB-A socket with voltage digital read-out for the right socket.

—-

Panel is really well designed and they did a great job on the 3D printing. Comes in 4 pieces (the two panels come screwed together) and 2 mounting brackets. Flexes to fit the sockets but has the right rigidity to feel like it will flex, but not break.

Panels screwed together (came screwed together):

PXL_20240501_225018100.jpg

PXL_20240501_225023389.jpg

PXL_20240501_225027891.jpg

Carling Blanks:

PXL_20240501_225033676.jpg

Design is really great. These brackets slide on with the perfect tension/fitment

PXL_20240501_225110838.jpg

This detent tensions the bracket to lock it in place:

PXL_20240501_225126836.jpg

Having gotten into 3D printing over the summer respect the print and I'm still trying to figure out how they got this floating element printed... I figure they used bracing but can't see where it was taken off the final print.

PXL_20240501_224937679.jpg

Garage tool chests got another sticker ;)

PXL_20240501_225142266.jpg

Hoping the 3D print holds up under UV over time. Looking forward to install this!

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.