Rearview mirror harness

Interesting! I've looked at a ton of TJs, but never seen on in the US with this option (not in person at least).

My '05 LJ has one from the factory and it's even called out on my build sheet.

Mirror.jpeg

Reactions: Chris
The one I got from eBay claimed it was for a 03 TJ, but I'm sure it wasn't since I had to rewire the harness. The factory listed part # for the temp sensor worked just fine. BTW if you plug in a 177 without checking the pins, smoke comes out of the dash splice connector. [emoji32]

Reactions: americanwrkmule
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Harness is out. Pics of the 2 broken wires. According to previous posts looks like it would be constant 12v and map lights. Not sure which one goes in which spot, or if I can fix this one myself or not. Have never tried to dissasemble one of those connectors. Included the numbers on the harness as well. I'm going to google it later and see if I can locate a harness and see what it costs.

If anyone can look at their mirror harness and tell me which position my 2 broken wires belong in it would be greatly appreciated. Just not sure if the yellow was on the end slot or the other one was. since I have the harness out I can look at the other end and match them up the same as that connector, I was just afraid that they may change position from that end to the mirror plug ( Murphys law and all that). I know Kevin Johnson posted his earlier in this thread but it doesn't seem to match mine. Thanks for all the help/input so far.

My '06 LJ came with the compass/temp mirror. It has never worked right. It has power and the map lights work, but the display just shows a test pattern (?), with all of the LED elements lit up. Haven't bothered to troubleshoot it, I can figure out which direction I'm going by looking at the sun and I don't much worry about the temperature (it's either warm enough to drop the top or not). Maybe one day I'll get around to fixing it, but it ain't real high on my to-do list.

Reactions: MikekiM
Fixed! Thanks for the help. Map lights work, temp and compass came on but are dim - that is OK. Cleaned pins etc best we could. There is a lot of corrosion there so I was surprised it worked at all. We were able to use the old harness and repair the broken wires. We will see how long they last. On to the next challenge!

Years back I had one of these setup in a stock xj took a little work to rewire but it worked great. Now I have one in my tj and use it to teach the kids compass direction

Check the page here that has the factory service manual and look up the wire that works with dash dimmer, mine dims when I dim dash lights

So is there some sort of conduit or cord cover hiding the wiring along the windshield frame? Mine is just bare metal. I'd like to install something like this but I like things looking factory, so I didn't want to run visible wires up along the windshield frame. Where are the wires on the pre-installed ones?

APOLOGIES, off topic... Can the map lights under auto dimming mirror be replaced easily or is there a complicated procedure which includes soldering?