TJ Gear Bags

XJCJTJ

Supporting Member
Does anyone have recommendations for tool/gear bags that fit between the rear seat and tailgate? I’m looking for something that uses the space well back there so I can easily take tools out before I drive around town and put them in for quick trips.

Reactions: TJ Starting
We used these mechanics tool bags a lot in my military career. Since retiring, I've got a few of these smaller ones and a couple of the bigger ones. I have 1 big one full of tools and 1 small one full of recovery gear in a tool box I have mounted in my LJ.

Small mechanics tool bag

Jumbo mechanics tool bag

I also have this plastic ammo can that I keep in there with an air compressor, tires repair supplies and rags. I actually have a couple but only use one in the Jeep. They stack nicely and they come in a few different sizes.

MTM 50 cal ammo can

I know you're looking for behind the seat, but this big of those items in my tool box might give you an idea of how they would fit behind the seat in the width available.

IMG_3100.JPG

Reactions: EugeneJeep
I hadn’t thought about the tool rolls. That would be a big help.

I like the tool bags. Do you think 2 of the large ones would stack well behind the seat?

Reactions: JMT
I have also installed a set of 1-1/2" (front) seat risers under my back seat, to give me more room under it, for storage.

Reactions: XJCJTJ
In Canada princess auto has a variety of soft blue bags .One I use for tools and the other for electrical needed supplies.Very cheap and tough.I am sure in the US harbor freight has similar products. The tools don't rattle and they can be changed quickly from vehicle to vehicle.

We used these mechanics tool bags a lot in my military career. Since retiring, I've got a few of these smaller ones and a couple of the bigger ones. I have 1 big one full of tools and 1 small one full of recovery gear in a tool box I have mounted in my LJ.

Small mechanics tool bag

Jumbo mechanics tool bag

I also have this plastic ammo can that I keep in there with an air compressor, tires repair supplies and rags. I actually have a couple but only use one in the Jeep. They stack nicely and they come in a few different sizes.

MTM 50 cal ammo can

I know you're looking for behind the seat, but this big of those items in my tool box might give you an idea of how they would fit behind the seat in the width available.

View attachment 92394
I used those mechanics bags for years. They hold more than you’d expect and will hold up for years.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I have also installed a set of 1-1/2" (front) seat risers under my back seat, to give me more room under it, for storage.

How does this effect the fold and roll seat? Any issues with passengers heads and roll bars or top?

It does NOT affect the fold and tumble.
Taller rear passengers (why are they in the back then?) may rub their head on the soft top but, they get more leg room.

IIRC, I had to drill out the smaller diameter holes to fit the rear seat bolts. You will also have to source the longer bolts yourself.
And, it requires 8 blocks, for the eight bracket bolts.

Oops, forgot to mention that I made my own approx 1" spacer for the seat belt bolt in the middle. It's not necessary but handier.

I hadn’t thought about the tool rolls. That would be a big help.

I like the tool bags. Do you think 2 of the large ones would stack well behind the seat?

I guess they would, depending on what you had in them.

I primarily use bags from Blue Ridge Overland Gear: https://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com

I also use boxes, folding chairs, and a drop down tailgate table from Front Runner, all available here: http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/

See this post from my thread for a DIY rear cargo rack for LJ's: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/diy-interior-cargo-rack-for-lj.10707/#post-353310

From that post:

gear-ready-for-packing-05-05-19-jpg.jpg

Upper row, left to right: Rotomolded cooler, Kodiak Canvas Australian-style swag tent.

Second row: Camp Kitchen in Front Runner "Cubpack" box, Jeep Box containing jacks, jack tools, large hand tools, spill kit and related trail gear, tools for Max-Ax (in green bag), Blue Ridge Overland Gear soft bags for Repair parts, Recovery tools (shackles, soft shackles, straps, ropes, etc.), Provisions, Hand Tools, Hygiene, portable Toilet, Fluids, and sleeping bag in black nylon stuff sack.

Third row: Safety Seal tire repair kit, First Aid kit, Gas One dual fuel stove, jump bag, Front Runner folding chairs, Hi-Lift base, tarp

Fourth row: Folding table, telescoping hiking poles (double as emergency tent poles for Noah's tarp), blanket, bag containing refueling supplies (super siphon, nozzle for fuel can, fuel treatment, etc.), bag with air hose and other tire tools, Kelty Noah's Tarp.

The following photos show the rear of the jeep packed and ready to go. I keep the jeep packed so all I need to do is fill the cooler and throw in my duffel with clothes for a trip. The first aid kit, Recovery bag, air hose bag, Hygiene bag and jump bag live behind the driver's seat within easy reach. The sleeping bags and duffle bags for clothes fit on the fenderwells next to the back seat. The tent bag goes on the back seat (swag tent for solo trips, a different bag with backpacking tent, air mattress and double sleeping bag when there are two of us). Everything else goes behind the rear seat.

gear-behind-driver-seat-05-05-19-jpg.jpg

back-seat-packed-05-05-19-jpg.jpg

view-out-rear-window-with-gear-packed-05-05-19-jpg.jpg

packed-and-ready-to-go-05-05-19-jpg.jpg

rear-of-jeep-jpg.jpg

It takes less than 5 minutes for me to completely unload the jeep and less than 10 minutes for me to pack it.

Last edited:
I primarily use bags from Blue Ridge Overland Gear: https://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com

I also use boxes, folding chairs, and a drop down tailgate table from Front Runner, all available here: http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/

See this post from my thread for a DIY rear cargo rack for LJ's: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/diy-interior-cargo-rack-for-lj.10707/#post-353310

From that post:

View attachment 92419

Upper row, left to right: Rotomolded cooler, Kodiak Canvas Australian-style swag tent.

Second row: Camp Kitchen in Front Runner "Cubpack" box, Jeep Box containing jacks, jack tools, large hand tools, spill kit and related trail gear, tools for Max-Ax (in green bag), Blue Ridge Overland Gear soft bags for Repair parts, Recovery tools (shackles, soft shackles, straps, ropes, etc.), Provisions, Hand Tools, Hygiene, portable Toilet, Fluids, and sleeping bag in black nylon stuff sack.

Third row: Safety Seal tire repair kit, First Aid kit, Gas One dual fuel stove, jump bag, Front Runner folding chairs, Hi-Lift base, tarp

Fourth row: Folding table, telescoping hiking poles (double as emergency tent poles for Noah's tarp), blanket, bag containing refueling supplies (super siphon, nozzle for fuel can, fuel treatment, etc.), bag with air hose and other tire tools, Kelty Noah's Tarp.

The following photos show the rear of the jeep packed and ready to go. I keep the jeep packed so all I need to do is fill the cooler and throw in my duffel with clothes for a trip. The first aid kit, Recovery bag, air hose bag, Hygiene bag and jump bag live behind the driver's seat within easy reach. The sleeping bags and duffle bags for clothes fit on the fenderwells next to the back seat. The tent bag goes on the back seat (swag tent for solo trips, a different bag with backpacking tent, air mattress and double sleeping bag when there are two of us). Everything else goes behind the rear seat.

View attachment 92420
View attachment 92421
View attachment 92422
View attachment 92423
View attachment 92424

It takes less than 5 minutes for me to completely unload the jeep and less than 10 minutes for me to pack it.
I love that, but I'm nowhere near organized enough for all that. Really nice.

I

From that post:

View attachment 92419

View attachment 92420
View attachment 92421
View attachment 92422
View attachment 92423
View attachment 92424

This is the guy you want behind you on any trail .

Home Depot Husky one tool carriers , black and read with the aluminum handle are nice to reach over the tailgate and grab things... they are about 9 w x 20 long x 10 tall