‘01 TJ 4.0 high voltage reading and some beautiful pulley noise

Recently I’ve had a high voltage reading on the dash a bit over 14V and I can’t seem to find the issue. I also have some great pulley noise coming from either the tensioner pulley or from the alternator pulley. Is it possible if it’s the alternator pulley it could affect the voltage to be too high? It also whines while I accelerate but it’s a newer alternator so I’m hoping it’s not bad. Anyone have any suggestions to help me out I’d greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shatto
Recently I’ve had a high voltage reading on the dash a bit over 14V and I can’t seem to find the issue...

I'm not sure this is a problem. When I monitor the voltage in my pickup and it's usually runs between 13.8 and 14.2 volts

...Is it possible if it’s the alternator pulley it could affect the voltage to be too high?

Nope!

Reactions: JulietTangoAlpha
Over 14 is normal and commonly seen when the engine is running and the battery is asking for charge voltage. But a bad/weak/corroded/loose battery connection can also cause even higher voltages out of the alternator.

Last edited:
I’ve been constantly seeing the positive battery connection covered with corrosion after just a short period of time. I always clean it and still the same issue. Why is it so common ?

Corrosion is caused by the fumes from the battery acid interacting with the metals. Try cleaning them all REALLY REALLY well and covering the terminals and posts with Vaseline.

I’ve been constantly seeing the positive battery connection covered with corrosion after just a short period of time. I always clean it and still the same issue. Why is it so common ?
From your non-sealed battery venting a mist of sulphuric acid when it is being charged. Switching to a sealed or AGM battery would help. Remember to remove the battery connectors to wire brush them and the battery posts, brushing just the outside doesn't help much.

Ok thank you, is there any reason why it’s just the positive side ?

My pickup only corrodes on the positive side, my Jeep not at all. Some say it depends on whether the battery is in an over-charge or under-charge condition, I'm not sure, but it is rare to see both corrode at the same time.

Last edited:
Squeaky Belts might be caused by the cheap-junk belt you installed but they are usually caused by an out of alignment tensioner, which needs replacement.
Serpentine Belts only need replacement if they are obviously disintegrating; chunks of the ridges gone, fraying, oily. The tiny cracks are normal.
The above advice is based on many hundreds of thousands of miles experience.

If you will submerge the corroded battery terminal in a distilled water and baking soda solution for a half hour or so...
The solution will creep up underneath the wire insulation dissolving any further corrosion that cant be seen. Rinse well with distilled H20.
Ive had good success with this keeping corrosion off.