02 Tj Sport 4.0L

Calvin.8

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Backstory
I'm a little late making my build thread but oh well. I bought this jeep a little over 4 years ago in my sophomore year of HS to replace a beat-up pos 99 Tj with a 4 cyl and rotted body mounts that I had for just a year beforehand. It's a 2002 Sport with a 5-speed and a 4.0L. I bought it completely stock except for what I can assume after some research is a 2.5in RC suspension lift that just included the coils and shocks (that are still installed currently). It had around 150k miles and I bought it for around 8k. Here are some pics of what it looked like on the lot (don't have any pics of the frame but it was almost spotless at the time of purchase). It is my DD and I try to take it offroad as often as I can (being in pre-med at college is making that very difficult sadly).

1039_1531765197913.jpeg

1042_1531765211162.jpeg
1041_1531765206897.jpeg

1040_1531765201932.jpeg

Currently
Now 4 years later I've put about 25k miles on it and added on:
  • RC 2.5in suspension lift that was already on it.
  • Savvy 1.25in BL (thanks to you guys for convincing me to do this instead of getting a different set of springs)
  • JKS Quick Disconnects
  • Dick Cepek Extreme Country 33x12.5 Tires
  • 15in Pacer Steel Wheels
  • Smittybilt XRC 9500 winch
  • Barricade Rocker Guard (wish I would've saved up and bought something better but sticking with it for now)
  • Barricade Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier
  • MBRP Exhaust
  • Quadratec 28in Light bar on the hood (love the amber halos that come on with the parking lights)
  • Quadratec 3in Cubes
  • Quadratec LED Headlights
  • BedRug Carpet
  • Water Resistant Speakers/Stereo (after my previous ones got rained on cause I left the top off during a storm)
  • Rugged Ridge Hood Latches
Pictures of it more recently:

IMG_20181111_093351_526.jpg
IMG_20190131_191927_417.jpg
IMG_20210807_194752162.jpg
Snapchat-509777367.jpg

Right now I am doing some work in the rocker guard rear bumper area. The powder coating on them was not done very well and the rust between the two was beginning to become a real eye-sore. So I removed the rocker guards and they are currently getting sandblasted. I made the decision not to put the bumper/tire carrier back on for weight savings (I'm going to grind/sand off the rust and repaint them and sell them on here once I'm done). I am no longer going to carry a spare unless I go offroad where I will just throw it in the backseat area. I ordered a rear bumper plate (https://www.barnes4wd.com/TJ-LJ-Rear-Tail-Plate-Bumper_p_308.html) that only weighs 15lbs and costs just $130. Once I get that and my rocker guards back from the shop I will paint them and reinstall.

Future Plans
As of right now, I would like to keep my jeep forever and turn this into a trail-only vehicle once I can afford to buy another vehicle to be my DD (which might be a while as a broke college student). Here is the order of things I would like to do to slowly turn it into the trail rig that I plan for it to be.
  • Regear to 5.13s and add E-Lockers to both front and rear (from what I've read on here the dana 44 can handle locked 33's on stock axle shafts, but not the dana 30. So I would just lock the rear until I can buy chromoly shafts for the front. I was thinking of doing this entire step all at once so I don't have to pay for the labor twice to mess with the gearing. Correct me if I'm wrong with any this)
  • Chromoly axle shafts
  • Tummy Tuck Prep
    • CV Driveshaft/SYE
    • MML
    • Adj Control Arms
    • etc.
  • The actual TT
  • Steering and other strength/suspension upgrades to prep for 35s
  • Then I have two options for actually making the clearance for moving up 35s
    • More Suspension Lift
    • Do some cutting/hi-line fenders (and maybe some coil spacers if still necessary)
Definitely not a plan right now, but think it would be really cool to do a diesel swap once the current engine is shot.

If you ever need some help wrenching or whatever I'm just over in Wichita. Or next time you go out wheeling give me a holler, always looking for excuses to go out. Sometime in the next month or so I'm wanting to hit up KS Rocks if you wanna come too?

If you ever need some help wrenching or whatever I'm just over in Wichita. Or next time you go out wheeling give me a holler, always looking for excuses to go out. Sometime in the next month or so I'm wanting to hit up KS Rocks if you wanna come too?
I'm headed out there the 14th for most the day and I already got a ticket for the night run

I have to work that day so I won’t be able to make it then, but maybe another weekend this month or if things don’t get too blistering hot come June.

I like this build coming from someone with same year and same color. What did you do with the Canyons and smaller tires?

I like this build coming from someone with same year and same color. What did you do with the Canyons and smaller tires?
I'm assuming the canyons are the stock rims that were on there. And I bought this jeep before I sold my old one, so I swapped some of the stuff on my old one to my new one before I sold it including the rims and tires.

Reactions: Vtx531