02 TJ x build project

Jeepster78

TJ Enthusiast
Hello fellow jeepers,

I bought a 2002 Jeep Wrangler X model for $300 about two months ago that needs tons of work. Unfortunately the jeep has some frame rust and a blown engine. Looks like a connecting rod went through the block so the engine is toast. There is also some rust issues on the frame where the skid transmission pan is and at the rear near the wheel wells on both sides that I will need to strengthen up with some safety caps. Me and the wife have decided to do a total rebuild from the frame up and basically replace most everything with me doing a majority of the work myself. So far I have taken the jeep apart and I’m ready to pull the engine within the week, I have also separated the frame from the body and found that 5 of the frame to body mounts have also rusted and broke those mouthing bolts. I know this project will be a ton of work and I’m excited to see the finished project.
ive been reading a bunch of the threads on this forum which have been helpful and I’m sure I’ll have tons of questions and needed advice along the journey.
The jeep is stock and my plan is to use it as a secondary vehicle that sees moderate 4x4 trails about once every month on average as well as fart around town with occasionally. I would like to lift the jeep and put 33” tires on it with potential lunchbox lockers front and rear.
My first official question is what frame supports are recommended to strengthen the frame I’ve read about the safety caps but has anyone used or recommend a different product. As this will be my next step in the process after sandblasting the frame.
here are a couple of pics of the engine and the rust.
thanks for all the input in advance

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Got both differentials off the frame including all the break lines and clips and a stubborn rear upper track bar bolt that was fused with the sleeve. Ready for sand blasting and frame repair. Had another hiccup with the passenger front bump stop bolt which I snapped off and when I had drilled my rusted bolt puller is broke off in the rusted bolt with no room to turn it and i can’t drill through the metal it’s too tough. I will have to weld a bolt onto it and see if that trick works to pull it out.

B4C9BEF5-3789-41FF-B571-CCA334962534.jpeg

A0049BB7-0A8A-4952-AFE9-192216EF13A4.jpeg

Reactions: kiwi
I really like the color, but that’s quite a project you’ve taken on.

How’s the rust in the tub floor pans? With the frame, I’d balance repair costs against replacement costs. As long as it passes inspection after sandblasting.

Post more pictures as you go along, I’m curious about how your project goes.

Good luck to you and your wife, and enjoy your new toy!

Thx
I love working on projects like this to help keep me busy outside of work.
The tub pans are fine. The only problem I see is the frame near the rear wheel wells which I’ve read a ton about recently and that is a common problem with these tjs. The rear quarter panel on the passenger side has a bit of rust also I will have to replace but other than that everything else looks in decent shape.
As far as the frame goes I have found new frames for around 4-5k which is a bit much. I can’t find used ones near me and the junkyards here don’t have any Jeep’s in them. They make frame inserts for the rust problem which I have ordered and cost 200$ This will fix and strengthen both sides after I’m done sandblasting.
I will post many pictures and progress along the way.
Im not new to Jeep’s but new to this forum which is a God send with the amount of information I’ve read on here that is useful and informative. It’s nice to know if you get stumped on something jeep related you have all these fellow Jeep goers to help out, because I would rate my mechanical abilities at an intermediate level at best and the knowledge level of some of the posters on here is far superior then mine. I’m sure I will have tons of questions as this project progresses.
Right now I’m collecting a list of parts I will post of how I want to proceed with this build and will need some feedback if it is a good plan or need revision.

got some grinding on the frame done today along with cutting out the lower middle sections of the frame preparing for the generic safety caps to be welded in. I will cut out the rear wheel sections tomorrow that hold the control arms.
I will also power wash the the inside of the frame tomorrow or the next.
I do have a question any recommendations are much appreciated. I went to homedepot and auto zone looking for a paint/rust preventative to coat the inside of the frame and they did not have anything. What is best to prevent rust and coat the inside of the frame?

C0BB9DB9-0188-498F-9A6D-7EBBF45872A3.png

02AB6AFB-19C6-4B82-BAA8-E15B3C33F240.png

F9F13FFC-A5F0-47B3-9E33-02259181159E.jpeg

AF7B38A4-5BCE-46E0-A200-67087099F37A.jpeg

EAA3148D-2431-4406-8350-14BBCBB6B894.jpeg

I have a brand new can of the eastwood stuff I will never use if you are interested..it would be cheap

Got the rear control arm brackets taken off today and do a little sand blasting tomorrow to prep for welding then on to sandblast the frame and diffs.

9746A549-916F-4A21-A1B4-B5EE23224752.jpeg

84B1DF13-DD67-479F-A977-3047D7D7B4FF.jpeg

93F78E20-DB25-44AA-AA29-2D33C92615AA.jpeg

Reactions: Wildman
Now just going to paint them black, pull the axel seals and replace them, install the differential bushings on the front Dana 30 and regear. Any body have suggestions on what brand bushings to use for the front differential? I have seen a few on Amazon I think the brand was moog if not mistaken.

Reactions: Wildman
Got them differentials painted along with the rear break plate and front knuckles. Next will be replacing all the diff seals and then regearing both the Dana 30 and Dana 35. Never done gears before but I have read tons on it in the last month or so. Also watched multiple videos. Probably going to have a few questions with that process.

BA4AD907-47CF-4CBD-B0C1-C3622AD6FF4B.jpeg

F4B2C5E1-6E90-4A8C-BA84-F34664D2582F.jpeg

F0A4A673-3579-4ED7-839D-C4ABA265248A.jpeg

So I have had front axles on order from revolution since Nov 2021 and I don’t think they will ever have be back in stock at this point. I ordered the front chromoly 4340 shafts with the bigger 1350 u joints. My question is if I go with there discovery axels which are still chromoly 4340 shafts but with the smaller I joint 1310 will I be able to run 35” tires with that set up or am I asking to trouble? I plan to do moderate wheeling near Moab and durango in the rig once I’m done with it.

So I have had front axles on order from revolution since Nov 2021 and I don’t think they will ever have be back in stock at this point. I ordered the front chromoly 4340 shafts with the bigger 1350 u joints. My question is if I go with there discovery axels which are still chromoly 4340 shafts but with the smaller I joint 1310 will I be able to run 35” tires with that set up or am I asking to trouble? I plan to do moderate wheeling near Moab and durango in the rig once I’m done with it.

What about axles from another manufacturer?

I just went with the defender revolution axles with the smaller 1310 u joints instead of the bigger 1350. They told me they would not have them in for another 2-4 weeks which I interpreted as not going to have them for at least another 6 months.
I also tightened up my front Dana 30 where the backlash was a bit loose after installing new 4.88 gears. I was getting most readings at .009 and at two spots I was getting .012 which I was not happy with so I added another shim .003 to the ring gear and now have consultant readings between .006 and .009 backlash.
Pattern looks good as far as I can tell.
Also installed the Jks 1” motor mounts. Here is a shot of the rear diff and suspension and savvy gas tank skid with new fuel pump installed. Last I took the upper control arm mount off the front diff and will weld the jock rock Jonny joint bushing sometime this week.

IMG_9222.jpeg

IMG_9221.jpeg

IMG_9300.jpeg

IMG_9299.jpeg

IMG_9301.jpeg

IMG_9298.jpeg

Finished installing the front differential and got the control arms set and the axle squared to the frame. I set the caster at 5.8 for now and readjust once it’s on the road.
I also installed spicer ball joints and put the front knuckles on.
Next I will put the u joints in the front axles and install the axles in the diff.l and the new timken wheel bearings.

IMG_9957.jpeg

IMG_9958.jpeg

IMG_9959.jpeg

IMG_9960.jpeg

IMG_9961.jpeg

IMG_9962.jpeg

IMG_9963.jpeg

IMG_9965.jpeg

Reactions: Jamison C
Installed the revolution axles and u joints timken wheel bearings and dust covers and torqued everything down to spec. I’m pretty sure the dust covers are on correctly if they are not can someone chime in and I’ll switch them up please.
Does anyone know the size and length of the front shock lower mounting bolts? I checked the service manual and it did not say.
Also what size is the axel nut that holds the axle to the bearing?

IMG_0087.jpeg

IMG_0086.jpeg

IMG_0089.jpeg