03-06 dark slate grey interior vinyl paint

My impatience got to me. While going down the rabbit hole in search for Half door interior panels in Dark Slate grey, several forum members and some threads mentioned painting the panels I had. After doing some further research on paint prep, I'm happy to share the following.

I prepped the panels by taping off the interior pocket to avoid excess spray, although the color is very close to dark slate grey. Next, I wiped the panels down with acetone to clean off any grease. Following, scuff up the surface with scotch-brite followed by another wipe down with acetone. Then, I used a bottle torch to lightly burn off excessive residue and "warm-up" the plastic. Probably not needed but I was doing this in a 60 degree garage. A light coat of SEM adhesion promoter followed by a heavy coat within 5 minutes. Within 30 minutes, apply several lights coats of SEM 17373 classic coat flexible coating. Surprisingly, it's labeled as "Chrysler Dark Slate Grey". And voila...

I'm by no means a professional painter but they came out pretty darn good. My existing interior panels have a slight "sheen" to them in comparison but You'd have to really pay close attention to notice any difference. Running a fingernail over the panel did not scratch so time will tell how abrasion resistant the paint it but at least touch-up is simple.

View attachment 208738

View attachment 208739

View attachment 208740
I agree, those look really good. I just located some half doors myself with no rust, I need to paint the doors themselves, hard to find Electric Lime Green half doors. These are Red and the inner panel is tan. I will definitely take your approach. It has been about a year now, can you tell me how they have held up?

It's holding up fairly well. As most people will say, prep is key. Scuff up the plastic and spray adhesion promoter. It's not my DD but it has been my wheeling rig where my foot always grazes the door panel. My original panels were light grey so I have a couple of scratches but they're not entirely noticeable. I'd try to see if anyone would want to swap with light grey before spraying.

Reactions: Kooper