03-06 TJ seats in a 97-02 TJ?

Greenmachine

TJ Enthusiast
I’m thinking I may need to expand my search. I’ve looked at only post 2003 TJ’s b/c, unlike most people I need to sit lower, not higher.

I’ve heard the pre-2003 TJ’s sit higher, so could I put the newer seats in an older model and then sit lower? Or is there something about the brackets that would not allow me to sit lower anyway even if I did a seat swap?

The seat latches onto the tub. It has a handle on the middle top of the seat. Instead of on the side like the 97-02 if I’m not mistaken.

F01AC8E6-1FFE-4E10-BD8E-2FA1622E39C2.jpeg

5E44C903-E4CE-4A97-B8F1-1F82FB35338F.jpeg

Reactions: Greenmachine
As to sitting lower. Technically the 03-06 seats are supposed to be 1.5" shorter than the early model seats. But if your early model seats are worn out and sagged. You might not feel that big of a difference.

But the newer seats are not only safer - they are way more comfortable. And I'm tall like you - 6'3". I would highly suggest upgrading to the newer seats. As they are indeed an upgrade.

Just make sure you buy the new seats with all of the brackets that mount to the tub. It's a direct bolt in that way. Just treat your seat bolts to some PB Blaster the night before you intend to remove them. The bottom of the bolts are open to the air under the tub. And are frequently very rusted or at least corroded.

I found my seats in excellent condition for $400 delivered from a junkyard several hundred miles from me. Check www.car-parts.com for seats. That's like the national clearinghouse for junkyards now.

Lastly, I highly recommend Misch Big Boy brackets for adding another 4 inches of rearward movement into your seats. And they bolt right in when you replace your seats. They are a godsend if you're tall.

Reactions: Greenmachine
As to sitting lower. Technically the 03-06 seats are supposed to be 1.5" shorter than the early model seats. But if your early model seats are worn out and sagged. You might not feel that big of a difference.

But the newer seats are not only safer - they are way more comfortable. And I'm tall like you - 6'3". I would highly suggest upgrading to the newer seats. As they are indeed an upgrade.

Just make sure you buy the new seats with all of the brackets that mount to the tub. It's a direct bolt in that way. Just treat your seat bolts to some PB Blaster the night before you intend to remove them. The bottom of the bolts are open to the air under the tub. And are frequently very rusted or at least corroded.

I found my seats in excellent condition for $400 delivered from a junkyard several hundred miles from me. Check www.car-parts.com for seats. That's like the national clearinghouse for junkyards now.

Lastly, I highly recommend Misch Big Boy brackets for adding another 4 inches of rearward movement into your seats. And they bolt right in when you replace your seats. They are a godsend if you're tall.
Thanks! Yea man, 6’6” over here lol.

Sorry to resurface this thread, but I just bought an 03-06 rear seat from Craigslist and seems that I will need to drill the anchors on my '00 TJ's tub as the rear seat mechanism is different. has anyone being successful at doing so?

The 97-02 tub does not have the same holes as the 03-06 tub, as far as I can tell. I do like the new seat a lot better due to the latch in the middle, it's also comfier and since it has hooks it does not fall off as easy when collapsed like the 97-02 model.

Sorry to resurface this thread, but I just bought an 03-06 rear seat from Craigslist and seems that I will need to drill the anchors on my '00 TJ's tub as the rear seat mechanism is different. has anyone being successful at doing so?

The 97-02 tub does not have the same holes as the 03-06 tub, as far as I can tell. I do like the new seat a lot better due to the latch in the middle, it's also comfier and since it has hooks it does not fall off as easy when collapsed like the 97-02 model.
Its a pita. Have not seen anyone do it.

Its a pita. Have not seen anyone do it.
Thanks for the info, I think I might still go through the installation and document it.

So far the front to bracket mounts line perfectly, but there are no holes in the back for the rear brackets so I will have to drill through the tub or use a steel flat rod and mount on the middle seatbelt bolt. I will post some pictures on the next post.

Thanks for the info, I think I might still go through the installation and document it.

So far the front to bracket mounts line perfectly, but there are no holes in the back for the rear brackets so I will have to drill through the tub or use a steel flat rod and mount on the middle seatbelt bolt. I will post some pictures on the next post.
Just remember this is a safety item. Dont skimp on hardware.

Did you get around to doing this? I got the front brackets in and am going to order these. https://www.julianos.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=JU010600&CartID=1

I peaked under there and it looks pretty tight. I’ve heard of people installing a 1” body lift and others saying it can be done without it. I’d prefer not to install a body lift.