03 TJ questions

grabeb

TJ Enthusiast
I am considering buying a 2nd TJ to track my youngest to drive and just because.

Have a few questions on one I'm looking at.

First the AC doesn't work.... is that thing to be major on these? Second, the oil pressure gauge isn't working, which worries me even though they said they tested with manual gauge. Third, it's a Rubicon, which is perfectly fine for me, but I'm hoping my youngest, 15yo, will take to it and maybe want to drive it to school. Is that going to be a PIA for a new driver? I hear they turn a bit different.

Prices seem high on everything I look at lately.

I am considering buying a 2nd TJ to track my youngest to drive and just because.

First the AC doesn't work.... is that thing to be major on these? Second, the oil pressure gauge isn't working, which worries me even though they said they tested with manual gauge. Third, it's a Rubicon, which is perfectly fine for me, but I'm hoping my youngest, 15yo, will take to it and maybe want to drive it to school. Is that going to be a PIA for a new driver? I hear they turn a bit different.

That is a sought after model if you can post pictures we can tell you more-

OIl pressure sending units routinely fail. However on an 03, it's just a switch, so it's basically an idiot light. The computer moves the needle around a little to fake you out. Only way to know the actual pressure is with a test gauge.

Rubicons might have a slightly larger turning circle due to tire width, I don't know, never noticed it.

You'll need to test out the lockers on a Rubicon

Depends on what's wrong with the AC. If the evaporator is shot, you have to take the whole dash apart. Everything else is under the hood.

Reactions: Rickyd
That is a sought after model if you can post pictures we can tell you more-

Screenshot_20240423_220539_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240423_220559_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240423_220603_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240423_220607_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240423_220617_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240423_220621_Facebook.jpg

Reactions: BC Moto

AC only matters if you want it during Summer. Your call. AC is usually an expensive fix $600-1000.

Oil pressure sensor could be bad. That would be my biggest concern. I’d like to know I have some oil pressure. Of course, check the dipstick and see if there are leaks.

Rubicons don’t turn any different than a Sport or X or Sahara. Nonsense.

I bought TJ’s for my twin sons when they turned 16. Good to go. When something goes wrong it’s an easy fix.

Cheers 🍻!

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I have feeling if that was for sale in CA for that price people would be wondering what other items were wrong with it 😂. I am not saying there is anything else wrong it, but I don’t think I’ve seen lesser models listed here for that price, but everything is higher in CA.

AC only matters if you want it during Summer. Your call. AC is usually an expensive fix $600-1000.

Oil pressure sensor could be bad. That would be my biggest concern. I’d like to know I have some oil pressure. Of course, check the dipstick and see if there are leaks.

Rubicons don’t turn any different than a Sport or X or Sahara. Nonsense.

I bought TJ’s for my twin sons when they turned 16. Good to go. When something goes wrong it’s an easy fix.

Cheers 🍻!
I prefer the ac, can I live without.... yes, but it does get hot here and I'll want it. Not sure if I'll pull the top off or not as I don't want to store two in my garage. I can replace parts, I guess I can 'Google' compressors etc and see what they cost and then figure the rest out.

Oil pressure sensor can't be a hard fix, so why would he not just fix.... seems a bit odd to me. I'd also want to know. I don't know if those are electrical or fluid. He just changed all fluids, a bit of a red flag, or maybe just good maintenance?

The guy we bought my other daughters jeep from had a Rubicon also for sale, he steered us away for her and I thought he said they turn a bit different do to grabbing the turns more. Maybe I misunderstood. I had a 78 CJ years ago, it didn't have front lockers. Have had other 4x4s and all wheel and everything is a bit different.

I love the TJs for a first car. Not tons of room for other kids, fun to drive, winter not a problem, and super easy to work on and replace parts.

Reactions: JMT
Good posts- check carefully for frame rust - the price is good if it is not badly rusted- . Any of these will typically need some things done- Fluid, brakes, belts, hoses etc.-Usually one in that price range end up spending two or $3000 to get everything buttoned up.

As far as it being good for your son he would probably love it.

I prefer the ac, can I live without.... yes, but it does get hot here and I'll want it. Not sure if I'll pull the top off or not as I don't want to store two in my garage. I can replace parts, I guess I can 'Google' compressors etc and see what they cost and then figure the rest out.

Oil pressure sensor can't be a hard fix, so why would he not just fix.... seems a bit odd to me. I'd also want to know. I don't know if those are electrical or fluid. He just changed all fluids, a bit of a red flag, or maybe just good maintenance?

The guy we bought my other daughters jeep from had a Rubicon also for sale, he steered us away for her and I thought he said they turn a bit different do to grabbing the turns more. Maybe I misunderstood. I had a 78 CJ years ago, it didn't have front lockers. Have had other 4x4s and all wheel and everything is a bit different.

I love the TJs for a first car. Not tons of room for other kids, fun to drive, winter not a problem, and super easy to work on and replace parts.

The only time a Rubicon turns different is when the lockers are engaged. Otherwise there is absolutely no difference.

Good posts- check carefully for frame rust - the price is good if it is not badly rusted- . Any of these will typically need some things done- Fluid, brakes, belts, hoses etc.-Usually one in that price range end up spending two or $3000 to get everything buttoned up.

As far as it being good for your son he would probably love it.

I bought our 01 sport very stock with 120k miles for around 8k 3yrs ago. And yes I ended up rebuilding front suspension and a few other minor things.

Btw... daughter, not son!

She wants a sports car!

Here is a list of things done.... see pic.
Now the pics show it being very clean, some minor body flaws but it's 20yrs old and I get that. The work screams to me that it was overheated at some point. Add in oil sensor not working and for me that might be deal killer but I'm not a 4.0l expert, so leaning on you guys. I know they are great and somewhat bulletproof. Replacing a sensor should be easy, why did he not do with everything else he did?

Trying to deicide if i go look and ask him these questions.

Screenshot_20240423_232202_Facebook.jpg

Reactions: AndyG
The low price and it hasn't sold in a month would concern me, unless the mileage is really high. Non-working AC drops the asking price $1,000 for me. I have no idea what Kansas Jeeps sell for though.

If your AC isn't working, it could be something simple like needing a refrigerant recharge, or it could be something more serious like a broken compressor or leaks in the system. With older cars like a 2003 TJ, the rubber seals and hoses can wear out and start leaking. If it's just a recharge, you're looking at about $100-$150. But if the compressor is shot, it could cost you more than $500-$800 with labor. Basically, the repair costs can add up quickly depending on what's wrong.

If your AC isn't working, it could be something simple like needing a refrigerant recharge, or it could be something more serious like a broken compressor or leaks in the system. With older cars like a 2003 TJ, the rubber seals and hoses can wear out and start leaking. If it's just a recharge, you're looking at about $100-$150. But if the compressor is shot, it could cost you more than $500-$800 with labor. Basically, the repair costs can add up quickly depending on what's wrong.

AC systems don't use refrigerant. If it's out, it evacuated through a leak and the leak needs fixed. I really hope there aren't shops just shooting in Freon without fixing the leak. At least I wouldn't.

Reactions: Zorba
IMHO, this would be a pass for me. I'm not sure what the going rate for a nice TJ is in your area, however $10.5K for this one seems to be a tad high to me. Have you tried negotiating some? I see they have already dropped the price once and its been sitting around for a month or so.

What exactly is wrong with the a/c? Is it just blowing hot/warm? Did you see what the compressor was doing while it was on? At 196K miles, there are going to be items that need replacing, however I'm sure you're already aware of that. The oil pressure gauge would only worry me if it is down on power and has a loud valvetrain.

IMHO, this would be a pass for me. I'm not sure what the going rate for a nice TJ is in your area, however $10.5K for this one seems to be a tad high to me. Have you tried negotiating some? I see they have already dropped the price once and its been sitting around for a month or so.

What exactly is wrong with the a/c? Is it just blowing hot/warm? Did you see what the compressor was doing while it was on? At 196K miles, there are going to be items that need replacing, however I'm sure you're already aware of that. The oil pressure gauge would only worry me if it is down on power and has a loud valvetrain.

Rubicon's are a bit different than the other models in terms of value.

Rubicon's are a bit different than the other models in terms of value.

Yeah, its got the lockers, 44 and upgraded shafts, right? Guess I should have added in my original response to the OP, "that's a pass for me if the 15yo won't get any real use for the added goodies of the Rubicon." Along with the mileage and a/c issues. Then again I'm a cheap bast%^*...lol.

Yeah, its got the lockers, 44 and upgraded shafts, right? Guess I should have added in my original response to the OP, "that's a pass for me if the 15yo won't get any real use for the added goodies of the Rubicon." Along with the mileage and a/c issues. Then again I'm a cheap bast%^*...lol.

Yep. It also has a 4:1 NP241OR TC with a factory fixed yoke. It makes smaller lifts a bit easier.

Either way, I agree. I doubt a high schooler or college kid is gonna go rock crawling.

Reactions: SouthernTJ2000
My 03 Sport was at the same asking price and 10k miles lower here in ca. The a/c just needed a recharge but the rest of it was great. I would but it maybe get him to go a bit lower.