03 steering gear box replacement?

Liberated

TJ Enthusiast
All the talk of power steering today reminded me of something I've been trying to research, on and off, for a month or two, with little luck.

I have an '03 Wrangler with a leaky power steering gear box. I've been refilling with Lucas stop leak, since I found the leak, but haven't gone through an entire bottle yet. Some of the posts on other threads here have me hoping that'll at least buy me some time, and maybe even recondition the seals enough to forget about it.

But I'm running 33s and sometimes run a bit harder than I'd like on the trails. So considering the stock replacement is expensive and hard to find, I was hoping to find a good, beefy aftermarket gear box. All that I've found though, which claim to be heavy duty say they're Saginaw boxes, and require the pre-02 shaft. Does that mean they're just basically retrofitting to a prior model? If I'm upgrading, I'd really rather go heavy duty.

Also, I've seen a lot about the Durango switch, but that is also 97-02 if I understand correctly...

Any ideas?

The steering gear box changed mounting bolt patterns in 2003 when they went to the Mercedes steering box. A Saginaw won't fit your 2003 unless you can cut out one of the bolt holes on the frame and weld it into the position required by the Saginaw.

Reactions: Liberated
Sounds like it's more thantjust shaft and hoses different then... so any ideas for aftermarket HD gear box?
Not really, that odd bolt pattern really made it more difficult for 2003 and newer TJs. If you find rebuilt 2003 and newer pumps, make sure to avoid any rebuilt by Cardone.

You could replace it with the PSC unit:

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehic...-lj-big-bore-xd-steering-gear-conversion.html

Expensive as hell, that's for sure. I don't know anyone running one, so I'm not sure if it's really any different than the stock steering box. Any idea @Jerry Bransford?
It's a much more robust steering box but it would also need a more powerful aftermarket power steering pump to fully drive it to its capabilities. Not to mention needing different hoses and requiring that the steering shaft be shortened. It'd be way more expensive,that is for sure.

It's a much more robust steering box but it would also need a more powerful aftermarket power steering pump to fully drive it to its capabilities. Not to mention needing different hoses and requiring that the steering shaft be shortened. It'd be way more expensive,that is for sure.

I didn't realize that. I thought it was a drop-in replacement. I guess with all the effort you'd be going through to install that, you may as well host install hydro assist.

Moving the frame hole isn't that big a job even if you have to pay someone to do it. The hose is definitely required, your 03+ shaft can be modified by punching put a roll pin and letting it collapse, or get one from a part out. Then even if you do go psc the box is a bit cheaper.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Oooh! Wait, I liked that psc setup right up until it said a 1" body lift would probably be required. I have no intention of ever doing a body lift.

What is this hydro assist you speak of chris?

Any risks involved in moving the mounting holes?

I have no intention of ever doing a body lift.
There are a lot of reasons to not want a 2" or 3" body lift on our Jeeps but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a small 1" or 1.25" body lift. Most well built Jeeps run them. A 1" body lift added to a 3" suspension lift creates the same tire clearance as a 4" suspension lift but with a lower center-of-gravity.

Reactions: Chris
There are a lot of reasons to not want a 2" or 3" body lift on our Jeeps but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a small 1" or 1.25" body lift. Most well built Jeeps run them. A 1" body lift added to a 3" suspension lift creates the same tire clearance as a 4" suspension lift but with a lower center-of-gravity.

Yeah, my brain tells me I know that, but the rest of me can't get past my deep seeded prejudice after seeing so many problems with my buddy's 2" on an S-10 in high school. :nusenuse:

I even am tempted by the space that i imagine it would allow for washing out underbody mud and salt, but just can't bring myself to do it.

It also allows for a tummy tuck, giving you 2 - 3" more ground clearance for only 1" more height...

Don't know why a psc box would need a body lift but perhaps they changed the box since I got mine.

There shouldn't be any dangers with moving the whole as long as the new one is welded in correctly.

Hydro assist is using a hydraulic ram to turn the wheels as well as the drag link. Psc boxes can be ordered tapped for the needed hoses.

I had a body lift before the box but I see no need for it to be there. I havn't replaced the pump or installed a ram in a few years although both are sitting on the shelf waiting for me to install em. I would recommend it as even without the ram as it gives you a bit more steering power.

Yeah, my brain tells me I know that, but the rest of me can't get past my deep seeded prejudice after seeing so many problems with my buddy's 2" on an S-10 in high school. :nusenuse:
Time to increase your number of data points upward from that single one that happened back in your high school days. I had one terrible girlfriend way back then but.... :)

Ran across this today. The ad says it’s new, yet they will trade your core for a lifetime warranty. May be an option for someone to look into when the time comes.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/163775907766
Lifetime warranties on automotive parts makes me think cheap failure-prone crap. It's a marketing gimmick that fools most people into believing it must really be great quality. Nope it just means they'll give you another when it fails sooner than expected. They can afford to do that since once these types of parts start to fail most people sell their vehicles.

Keep in mind that lifetime warranties don't get you home.

Reactions: Chris
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Lifetime warranties on automotive parts makes me think cheap failure-prone crap. It's a marketing gimmick that fools most people into believing it must really be great quality. Nope it just means they'll give you another when it fails sooner than expected. They can afford to do that since once these types of parts start to fail most people sell their vehicles.

Keep in mind that lifetime warranties don't get you home.

I couldn’t give a shit about the warranty either. Point noted on it may be a cheap POS. If I were looking for one, I would definitely call these guys and ask questions. Just thought it may be another option that someone could look into.