04’ TJ Rubicon

X2 to this. I wouldn't waste a dime on a long arm setup.

There is simply no bolt-on long arm kit available that is going to have the correct suspension geometry (among other things).
Thank you! this is the reason I am here. athere is such a huge amount of marketing for jeeps and people being sponsored by those big companies that it is very hard to see where the truth is. I am not into spending money only to not get results so.. again I appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: Chris
Thank you! this is the reason I am here. athere is such a huge amount of marketing for jeeps and people being sponsored by those big companies that it is very hard to see where the truth is. I am not into spending money only to not get results so.. again I appreciate the feedback.

No problem at all, happy to steer you in the right direction. The long arm kits make a lot of claims, but once you start understanding and getting into suspension design and geometry, it starts to become apparent that there is no way whatsoever that any long arm kit can be "bolt-on" and be as good as they claim, it's just nor possible.

To have a suspension setup like that that works really well, it's going to involve lots of cutting and welding of the body.

For that reason, I always encourage people to go with a nice short arm setup. That will work better than 99% of us would ever even need. If you get to the point where you really are doing some tough wheeling and getting very serious with the build, that's where a weld-on kit like the Savvy mid-arm really starts to shine.

And this is how the spare mount turned out. I need to do some finale touches and level hings perfectly but the tire fits flush. The Harbor Freight receiver measures 6” and that is about perfect for a 35/12.5/15 with a 3.5” backspacing or -25 offset on an 8”. The location of where I welded the receiver allows for a 35-37” tireto be mounted high enough to clear the bumper. Update with images again tomorrow after I get new wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
And this is how the spare mount turned out. I need to do some finale touches and level hings perfectly but the tire fits flush. The Harbor Freight receiver measures 6” and that is about perfect for a 35/12.5/15 with a 3.5” backspacing or -25 offset on an 8”. The location of where I welded the receiver allows for a 35-37” tireto be mounted high enough to clear the bumper. Update with images again tomorrow after I get new wheels.
Just curious - did you consider welding a support from just under the receiver to the bottom rail, to help spread out the load to the bottom of the Exo frame? Seems like all the weight of the spare is on that top part of the tail gate frame. IMO.

Reactions: 73Carlow
Well I started with putting the new tires on and have been waiting for the oddball wheels I showed in an earlier post. The wheels are not happening as they have discontinued the color.. I will update the wheels later this week.

However I start in on the rear bumper and tire carrier issue.. Decided, based on a few threads here on the tj forum, that ai would put an MoRryde / Exogate on and diligently reseached bumpers. I decidd to go with the bullet proof 1/4 steel bumper that Troy offers as Swag Offoad.
swagTJbumper

Didnt come welded, so i had my buddy Terry weld them up and for good reason! He does great work!

Got them back from powder coating today and the local shop did a great job.
Those welds are pristine, super nice job. Your friend Terry is fantastic. Nice rig! Welcome to Jeep ownership

Just curious - did you consider welding a support from just under the receiver to the bottom rail, to help spread out the load to the bottom of the Exo frame? Seems like all the weight of the spare is on that top part of the tail gate frame. IMO.
All of the true weight is distributed evenly via the tire contact point points, more would be necessary due to the contact points, and also the frame itself is made of 1/4 steel and there is no flex or give so the weight is distrubed really nicely, much better that the weak factory tire mount.

I have recently become the new owner of this well built TJ.
Here is how she sits right now.

- Bestop Super Top soft top with tinted windows
-factory Rubicon lockers, 4.1 gears, NP241OR Rock-Trac Transfer Case

• Factory Slip Yoke Eliminator replaced last year
Not sure exactly what that means...how do you replace something a Rubicon doesn't have (Slip Yoke Eliminator)?

Really nice looking Rubicon, by the way.

Not sure exactly what that means...how do you replace something a Rubicon doesn't have (Slip Yoke Eliminator)?

Really nice looking Rubicon, by the way.
That was the basic write up on the jeep when I got it. I had discussd that with another person and I believe you are right. Devils in the details. Either way it has new drive shafts and no slip yoke!
Thanks man

I have been thinking about getting a rock like that for the back of mine. I sometimes go shopping and want to stop at the feed store and pick up a couple 50 lb bags of chicken food. It would be nice to be able to just load them on the back instead of on the passenger seat. LOL

Did make it? I like how it goes up and sits up high. Wouldn't have to worry about scraping when going in and out of driveways. :D

Did make it? I like how it goes up and sits up high. Wouldn't have to worry about scraping when going in and out of driveways. :D
Yeah it is just a booger welded old rack designed for good departure angles. I call it a cooler carrier, but todayipicked up 50lbbags of grass seed and it works great

Yeah it is just a booger welded old rack designed for good departure angles. I call it a cooler carrier, but todayipicked up 50lbbags of grass seed and it works great

Well I guess I will have to recruit the hubby into making something like that. I can get the rack part at Harbor Frieght, but would need him to weld up the angled extension like yours. I really like that.

The new Jumping Jack 6x8 camping Trailer last month.