'04 2.4 - learning mechanics and buying tools as I go

Elyse8743

TJ Enthusiast
Don't really have a name or a good title yet so ? Basically, I've done basic mechanical work like brakes on cars before but that's about it. I'm buying tools and learning as I go, and having a ton of fun already.

Anyways, purchased the heep about a month ago. it's an '04 SE, 5sp manual transmission. I'm not planning on going crazy with the build, but more or less just creating this thread as a way to document what I've done to it in one place.

I really enjoy jeeps that are close to stock, so aesthetically I'll probably keep it fairly simple. So like - still debating on whether I want aftermarket bumpers or just a replacement OEM front bumper (the one on there has a bit of a dent ha, been keeping my eye out for a free/cheap craigslist bumper. and definitely planning on removing the stinger bar!).

What I've done:
  • new Rad/water pump/ cooling system overhaul
  • replaced one swaybar endlink (have the other one ready to go, just gotta deal with a rusty bolt to get rid of the one on there)
  • removed the first of the two steering stabilizers the PO added (will be replacing the other one once I get better tools this week)
  • fluid changes
  • soft top for summer
Short list plans:
  • Balance tires - have a vib at 55mph+ that's driving me crazy. *transmission mount got rid of this!
  • Remove rust / replace rusty floor pan on drivers side. Rust is still surface, so hopefully I'll get to it before it gets too bad.
  • New trans mount
  • Paint/rehab floor entirely - it hasn't had carpet for years and is pretty gross / scuffed up. Trying to figure out whether I want to bedline or just rust-oleum it
  • Clean up / replace rusty or old suspension components. A lot of surface rust that's cleanable, but I will need to replace a couple parts
  • U-Joints and ball joints
  • New Steering column
  • New Exhaust - current muffler is peeling apart so might as well upgrade it a bit
  • 1.25" BL
  • *maybe* a 1-2" suspension lift? need to decide on this soon because I want to replace shocks. PO had Bilsteins but it's a pretty harsh ride.
  • paint/undercoat the frame and suspension. frame is practically rust free but I want to protect it, especially living in MA
  • repair / replace steering box. Has a small leak that the lucas stop leak hasn't seemed to work on.
When I first bought it
IMG_20200610_192311.jpg

cleaned up some of the plastics. much better.
IMG_20200614_190019.jpg

old endlink had no bushings haha. easy job aside from dealing with a crummy rusty nut that stripped the threads the entire way off.
IMG_20200614_192437.jpg

IMG_20200705_135240.jpg

After replacing the rad / adding grill inserts. Another stupid easy job. I really like the stock grille without inserts, but I kinda wanted to protect the rad as much as possible so I added these and actually really like them.
IMG_20200620_162845.jpg

Looking forward to really getting into this one! And who knows, maybe I'll eventually swap a V8 in haha. Gotta get my own garage first, though.. so for now I'll be enjoying my 4-banger :)

Last edited:
Nice jeep!!

Coming from someone who bed-lined their interior, just paint it and put some good floor mats in it. It's a pain in the ass to clean and if I could go back in time i would do a heat blocking paint like lizard skin or one of the other products out there. Still might actually, cause the exhaust and transmission get HOT. But i'm here in cali

Also, any kind of floor mat will cause wear on the surface, my floor shows metal just from a pair of rubber floor mats. Even after lining the entire thing.

Good luck with the rust, i would make that a priority.

Reactions: JMT
Nice jeep!!

Coming from someone who bed-lined their interior, just paint it and put some good floor mats in it. It's a pain in the ass to clean and if I could go back in time i would do a heat blocking paint like lizard skin or one of the other products out there. Still might actually, cause the exhaust and transmission get HOT. But i'm here in cali

Also, any kind of floor mat will cause wear on the surface, my floor shows metal just from a pair of rubber floor mats. Even after lining the entire thing.

Good luck with the rust, i would make that a priority.

Thanks!!

I'll look into lizardskin! I was looking into the rustoleum paint-on liner as well. I definitely don't want a bedliner texture, but I want to make sure it's something that can hold up. Maybe something like lizardskin plus bedtred!

And thanks, it definitely is ! My friend keeps telling me to do things like replace the fender flares because they've got some damage,but the suspension and removing the rust is my top priority and she doesn't get why, lol!

Reactions: TJ Starting
You and me both man! The older I get, the more I love these things even in stock form!

Lol I admit I used to love them with excess visual mods and stuff but lately I've realized an unassuming stock exterior with a mild lift but super capable suspension is far more appealing to look at then over the top crap everywhere that actually serves no purpose haha!

Lol I admit I used to love them with excess visual mods and stuff but lately I've realized an unassuming stock exterior with a mild lift but super capable suspension is far more appealing to look at then over the top crap everywhere that actually serves no purpose haha!

I agree, I'm the same way. I used to love them with big tires and lifts, but now my favorite look is 31s with a mild lift (2" at most) and mostly stock with the exception of maybe a winch, some better headlights, etc.

The nice thing is, this is also a lot cheaper on the wallet too :LOL:

I agree, I'm the same way. I used to love them with big tires and lifts, but now my favorite look is 31s with a mild lift (2" at most) and mostly stock with the exception of maybe a winch, some better headlights, etc.

The nice thing is, this is also a lot cheaper on the wallet too :LOL:

Lol, that's exactly what I'm going for with this one too, hopefully i'll get the Chris stamp of approval once I'm done with it :)

..and that's always a plus!! 😁

Reactions: Chris
Took it out last night for the first time (and my first time actually off-road hahaha), finally! No pics on the trail unfortunately, it was legit dark out.. but hit some puddles, tiny rocks, and a sand pit/hill.

I'm definitely going to need my exhaust looked at, asap - water got in when it shouldn't have and I had a couple dicey moments where I wasn't 100% sure I'd be driving out of the woods. The muffler is pretty badly rusted, so I'll probably take it down to the local exhaust guy next week and see what he thinks.

It handled so well for stock... it was a really mild trail, no huge rocks or anything, but a great intro feel for how the jeep handles offroad. I definitely need to get in there and replace ball joints and stuff, as well as the transmission mount (which is coming in today thank goodness), but I was overall impressed with how well it did.

Also the oil pressure sending unit went I'm pretty sure, but assuming I can finally muscle that sensor off, it should be an easy fix.

GOPR0603_1594903737649.JPG

GOPR0604_1594903701601.JPG

In the past week:

Started attaching the floorpan rust, and got most of it all set in the front. I still have some spots in the back to fix but they're small so I'm waiting for a cooler day! I bought some rustoleum truck bedliner but a friend poo-pooed that and said he had a bad time with it, so I might Raptorline it. I dunno. As of now though, it's got some rust converter over the bare metal to keep it protected for the time being:

IMG_20200712_160427.jpg
IMG_20200712_185519.jpg
(after evaporust, I wirewheeled the rest of it after this!)
IMG_20200712_192804.jpg

Monday, I changed out the transmission mount and holy shit, what a difference. The old one was in super bad shape, and the jeep went from feeling like it was going to fall apart over small bumps in the road to a really tight drive and much more comfortable.
20200721162245_IMG_0149_2.JPG

Honestly the single best thing I've done so far to this thing! Unfortunately, my phone camera decided to die so no pictures of the process, but I did wire wheel down some stuff where the frame and the skid plate meet and threw some rust converter on there as well. The plan is to POR15 the frame, but I need to find a space to do that at.

I was born in Mass and raised in Vermont. I was also a wrench there. I know a thing or two about rust and seized fasteners. Watch the used market for a good set of oxy/acetylene torches. Sometimes if you ask the gas company if they have any tanks that customers never picked up (they always do), you may be able to get some cheap. It was SOP to heat nuts and metal around bolts cherry red before even trying to loosen them. A little hand held propane job will not do the trick. I do not miss those days. Here in the desert, I don't even use penetrating oil.

Reactions: hardtailpan
I was born in Mass and raised in Vermont. I was also a wrench there. I know a thing or two about rust and seized fasteners. Watch the used market for a good set of oxy/acetylene torches. Sometimes if you ask the gas company if they have any tanks that customers never picked up (they always do), you may be able to get some cheap. It was SOP to heat nuts and metal around bolts cherry red before even trying to loosen them. A little hand held propane job will not do the trick. I do not miss those days. Here in the desert, I don't even use penetrating oil.

Thanks for the tip! So far I've been kroil-ing everything for a few days before I even start a project, and that combined with the impact has worked pretty well, but I'm sure at some point I'll have to go out and find a torch lol! I can't even imagine how nice working on cars in the desert areas must be.

BTW, all of us have opinions on which brand tools to buy. A good set of open end box wrenches are priceless and much cheaper than rounded fasteners and busted knuckles. I can't say enough about the great quality of Wright tools out of Ohio. Good price and IMHO the equal of Snap-On. They aren't cheap, but they are worth it.

Reactions: Elyse8743
BTW, all of us have opinions on which brand tools to buy. A good set of open end box wrenches are priceless and much cheaper than rounded fasteners and busted knuckles. I can't say enough about the great quality of Wright tools out of Ohio. Good price and IMHO the equal of Snap-On. They aren't cheap, but they are worth it.

Appreciate the suggestion for tools as well! I'd love some snap-on stuff, but I'll check Wright out as well :) So far I've been getting by with Craftsman and Kobalt, but there are some things I don't want to cheap out on so I'll be *very slowly* building my tool collection with some nicer stuff :)

Wright is an awesome brand. i have a decent set of Craftsman sockets, snap-on wrenches, bluepoint wrenches, gear wrench etc. i wont buy cheap sockets or wrenches(aka Harbor freight) i have had bad exp with them but i like knowing that i can now walk into either Lowes or Menards and exchange my busted craftsman sockets/wrenches.

is the little stinger custom or is it sold by a company?

Wright is an awesome brand. i have a decent set of Craftsman sockets, snap-on wrenches, bluepoint wrenches, gear wrench etc. i wont buy cheap sockets or wrenches(aka Harbor freight) i have had bad exp with them but i like knowing that i can now walk into either Lowes or Menards and exchange my busted craftsman sockets/wrenches.

is the little stinger custom or is it sold by a company?

Yup, I stay away from Harbor Freight for the most part, unless it's a small tool I'll use once or twice and be done with it! Craftsman has been treating me well so far, I'll definitely need a pay raise for some Snap-on, though lol. That's awesome to know you can exchange at lowes... good to keep in mind! I had no idea.

I have no clue on the stinger, honestly. It was put on by the guy who owned it two owners ago! That being said, I'll probably be pulling it off in the next couple months (nothing wrong with it, I'm just not a huge fan of the stinger look haha). You're more than welcome to it for the cost of shipping!

Yup, I stay away from Harbor Freight for the most part, unless it's a small tool I'll use once or twice and be done with it! Craftsman has been treating me well so far, I'll definitely need a pay raise for some Snap-on, though lol. That's awesome to know you can exchange at lowes... good to keep in mind! I had no idea.

I have no clue on the stinger, honestly. It was put on by the guy who owned it two owners ago! That being said, I'll probably be pulling it off in the next couple months (nothing wrong with it, I'm just not a huge fan of the stinger look haha). You're more than welcome to it for the cost of shipping!

I may have to take you up on that i am going with a stubby and a winch plate with mine and will need something to protect the winch. yeah Stanley tools bought Craftsman from Sears when they were going out. and Stanley owns Kobalt.

Oh and the only reason i have snap-on, Mac, Matco etc is because i was a VW tech for 10yrs lol.

Got the new stabilizer in finally and got rid of the rusty old one.

It came out easier than I thought it would, although I kroil-ed everything for like a week so.

Putting the new one in was a hassle, since the bracket was bent and the guy who had it before just shaved off some of the bushing to fit the previous stab in before. It took some bending of the bracket back and sanding down the new stabilizer as well as some hammering, but its back in place. So much cleaner now! Next step is wire wheeling the rest of the steering parts and painting.
20200731_174439.jpg

20200731_195822.jpg

I also took a look at the wiring for the fog lights. Theyre disconnected in a bunch of different places and the wiring is shot, so im thinking I just need a new harness for them. They're Hellas I believe. Wasn't fun when I was out on the trail and couldn't use them the other night haha.

good job! wiring is a PITA for some but I enjoy it personally.

Thanks!!

I enjoy it until I don't, lol. I'm pretty new to fixing up cars and such so I'm glad I have the TJ to work on and understand wiring with since it's such an easy baseline. My dad is an electrical engineer and I've done some small electronics repair here and there though, so it's been pretty easy to translate!

yeah I was a VW mechanic for 10yrs so I understand wiring way more than I did before hand lol. I've also built harnesses for jeeps and race cars now at this point.

Reactions: Elyse8743