'04 LJ: Move to 35s, or stay on 33s?

Fursphere

Looking for a little "what would you do" advice here.

I've got an '04 LJ that's recently been re-geared to 4.88s, with an Eaton E-Locker in the rear. Dana 30 front / Data 44 rear. Stock shafts as far as I know. (I haven't even hooked up the E-Locker yet I've been so busy lately)

Its currently on an (unknown brand) 4" short arm lift, with 33x15x12.5 tires that need to be replaced (Spare is cracking from sun damage, so all 5 really). They do rub a little right now at full steering lock, per the evidence I found on the control arms. Stock 5x4.5 bolt pattern. I also have a full set (5) of 35x16x12.5 BFG KO2 ATs that are almost brand new that i bought for another project, and haven't really used them as I thought I would. These are on wheels with a 5x5.5" bolt pattern. The 35s are "E" load range as well, which I understand can be undesirable to some..

So what would you do here?

1) Replace the 33s that are on the LJ with new tires. (Stay on 33s)
2) Buy new wheels for the 35s, and put them on the LJ. (New 5x4.5" wheels and swap)
3) Buy wheel adapters for the 35s and put them on the LJ (I don't care for for this option, but i'm including it for completeness)

Other factors -
The LJ is my daily driver. Pretty Short commute. We do take it off-road, but I would say mild to moderate wheeling at most. Nothing extreme. We're planning on taking it to Coos Bay and Moab this year along with my XJ.

My biggest concern is blowing up that Dana 30. But I see tons of folks running 35s on there D30s (my XJ came with a Dana 44 front).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of my 33s. I feel like with the TJ era Jeeps its a good sweet spot for a decent sized tire that doesn't break the bank on upgrades to run properly. Sounds like for a DD and mild to moderate wheeling that would still be a good choice. The Dana 30 would need some strengthening for 35s.

Reactions: FTI76 and Fursphere
Your gearing is set up just right for 33's, so I'd choose to stick with that size. All 35's are going to do for you is cause more rubbing, take you out of the sweet spot with your gearing, and cost you more caps.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
My biggest concern is blowing up that Dana 30. But I see tons of folks running 35s on there D30s (my XJ came with a Dana 44 front).

Thanks in advance!

on Saturday I watched a stock Dana 30 on 35s explode the driver's side yoke & u-joint. Granted, he was in a real tough spot & got it bouncing but still. If you're going to do that at a minimum I'd look into adding a set of RGA chromoly shafts up there too if you're going to be doing anything but the easiest of trails