05-06 4.0 NSG370 Shift Tower Options?

glewis

Hi, I'm new to the site.

I have an '05 with a 4.0 engine, nsg370 manual trans. I purchased a Dorman aftermarket shift tower for the more firm detents to prevent popping out of 1st gear, I found out the 05-06 TJs with a 4.0 have a unique shift tower lever which has a double dog leg instead of the single dog leg found on the JK's and 2.4 engine TJs. Picture below is the 05-06 4.0 engine shift tower. Does anyone know if B&M or any other manufacture make one unique to this model and engine config? The OEM shift tower design sucks.

1667480022648.png

This B&M looks the same as the Dorman I tried, it has the single dog leg arm, which doesn't work, its to short and arched to far to the rear. Unless are you saying they make a double dog leg tower but this is the wrong picture?

Both B&M & Dorman say they work with 2005-2018 but the 2005-2006's with the 4.0 engine I believe are totally different than the 2.4 engine in that their shift tower has the 2 dog legs, possibly due to the center console being a different design, idk for sure. Dorman specifically told me this was the case and they don't make one for the 05-06 with a 4.0, only with a 2.4

This B&M looks the same as the Dorman I tried, it has the single dog leg arm, which doesn't work, its to short and arched to far to the rear. Unless are you saying they make a double dog leg tower but this is the wrong picture?

I don't have any first hand experience but several members in this forum have installed this shifter.

Your best bet may be to modify the factory shifter to make it work with the dorman. I shaped one for my ax15 with a propane torch, a jack handle and a shackle tab on my bumper.

Reactions: ColoJeep
This is the Dorman shift tower, i thought about that too, heating it up and bending it forward. You can see where the lever hits the front part of the center console, won't even go into 2,4,6,R. If no one makes this I might have to do just that, thanks Freedom

IMG-2336.jpg

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Any idea where I can get another shift lever (52059664AF). Just in case I break this one to where it cant be used? These seem impossible to find.

Or something that will at least screw in and can be bent to my liking?

Any idea where I can get another shift lever (52059664AF). Just in case I break this one to where it cant be used? These seem impossible to find.

Or something that will at least screw in and can be bent to my liking?

NEVERMIND - i'm going to try a JK lever which is pretty straight to begin with, it looks like its all steel, so welding and bending should be easy

I have the B&M shifter on my 2006 TJR. It fits without interference but I have a Barnes skid plate that raises the transmission about one inch. Without that the shifter would probably hit the bezel.

I have the B&M shifter on my 2006 TJR. It fits without interference but I have a Barnes skid plate that raises the transmission about one inch. Without that the shifter would probably hit the bezel.

Thanks for the info Turbo, sounds like that's about where this one is fitting for me, about 1 inch higher and it probably would have worked.

I have gone through this, I have had 2 2005 TJ's with the NSG and have a 2008 with the NSG.

I have my black 05 TJ. The original does have the different kick in the shifter. I now have a B&M shift tower, and it's shaped like the JK's. I haven't found one shaped like this, and it barely fits in the bezel, and I am going to have to get the dremel out and work on it to get it to fit. IF you do a belly up skid that brings it up, it will absolutely help.

Also, the B&M stick locks on in on top of the shift tower stick vs under it like the stock stick, which helps.

Reactions: JMT
Hi, I'm new to the site.

I have an '05 with a 4.0 engine, nsg370 manual trans. I purchased a Dorman aftermarket shift tower for the more firm detents to prevent popping out of 1st gear, I found out the 05-06 TJs with a 4.0 have a unique shift tower lever which has a double dog leg instead of the single dog leg found on the JK's and 2.4 engine TJs. Picture below is the 05-06 4.0 engine shift tower. Does anyone know if B&M or any other manufacture make one unique to this model and engine config? The OEM shift tower design sucks.

If it's popping out of gear, it's probably the transmission itself, not the shift tower. Some of the '05 TJ NSGs have a known defect that was fixed in later versions and fixed in all rebuilt examples. New parts were designed to fix the problem. I have an '05 that had the defective parts and had issues with reverse. The shift forks are also somewhat delicate and easily damaged.

A rebuilt NSG370 from High Impact solved all my transmission problems and that is with the original OEM shift tower which in my case showed almost no wear and is actually pretty solid. Many will encourage you to swap in an AX15 5 spd which many prefer over the NSG370. I like the ratios in the 6 spd and am so far totally satisfied with my rebuilt example.

YMMV

Reactions: Artsifrtsi
The B&M shifter does not fix the NSG370 problem but it does mask it. I installed the shifter because of the shorter throws and better feel. I still have some difficulty getting into reverse at times but there are no other problems. Eventually I may have my transmission overhauled so I can have the best of both worlds.

The B&M shifter does not fix the NSG370 problem but it does mask it. I installed the shifter because of the shorter throws and better feel. I still have some difficulty getting into reverse at times but there are no other problems. Eventually I may have my transmission overhauled so I can have the best of both worlds.

Good luck having it overhauled unless you find a local shop that has experience with this particular transmission. Odds of getting a good rebuild are better buying a rebuilt from a company like High Imact that does rebuilds on these routinely

Thanks for the info Turbo, sounds like that's about where this one is fitting for me, about 1 inch higher and it probably would have worked.

My guess is that you have a motor mount lift that raised the motor and tilted the transfer case back to help with driveline angles. If so raising the transfer case skid will raise your shifter back up to near original position and avoid the problem of interference in 2, 4, 6, and R. Doing so would require other mods as well like an SYE, rear Control Arms.