05 LJ 42RLE Transmission Codes P0740, P0218, & P1775

explorerlyon

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
05 LJ Rubicon, Automatic
I started with code P0740 that I pulled from a scanner. I took my LJ to a reputable transmission shop for further diagnosis. They came back with additional codes P0218 and P1775. They suggested replacing the solenoid, changing the fluid and then see how things are after that.

I was very surprised at the P0218. Years ago Blaine swapped out for me a transmission pan with a temp sensor and I installed a temp gauge. I have monitored the transmission temp ever since and never has it been over 200. That lead me down the rabbit hole of the PCM threads. I don't think the tranny shop is familiar with the PCM issues as a possible cause of the P0218. I did not see in the PCM discussions code P0740 discussed.

Given these codes, what is my next step after the solenoid is replaced? Just replace the PCM? I have not had hard shifting issues from 1-2 as others reported.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
I wouldn't replace the solenoid. A high temp code and "solenoid latched in TCC position" don't seem related to me. I'd carefully check the wiring, change the fluid and reset the code. The factory service manual has detailed troubleshooting on these codes and doesn't suggest replacing the solenoid for this, I'd find a new shop. It does say low fluid can cause this.

https://www.leschroniquesdegoliath.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Jeep-17342-TJ-transmission.pdf
P0218-HIGH TEMPERATURE OPERATION ACTIVATED
P0740-TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH CONTROL CIRCUIT
P1775-SOLENOID SWITCH VALVE LATCHED IN TCC POSITION

Verify the fluid level is not low. After that, you'll need to check the connectors at the transmission and test the wiring for continuity. The solenoid/pressure switch receive power through the #5 20A fuse and the Transmission Control Relay in the PDC. You may want to check to make sure the isn't a corrosion issue there.

I wouldn't replace anything other than the fluid and filter without first verifying that the wiring is good.

The factory service manual has the wiring and connector pin-out information you'll need for testing.

https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/2005-tj-service-manual-pdf.14045/

Reactions: Chris
https://www.leschroniquesdegoliath.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Jeep-17342-TJ-transmission.pdf
P0218-HIGH TEMPERATURE OPERATION ACTIVATED
P0740-TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH CONTROL CIRCUIT
P1775-SOLENOID SWITCH VALVE LATCHED IN TCC POSITION

Verify the fluid level is not low. After that, you'll need to check the connectors at the transmission and test the wiring for continuity. The solenoid/pressure switch receive power through the #5 20A fuse and the Transmission Control Relay in the PDC. You may want to check to make sure the isn't a corrosion issue there.

I wouldn't replace anything other than the fluid and filter without first verifying that the wiring is good.

The factory service manual has the wiring and connector pin-out information you'll need for testing.

https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/2005-tj-service-manual-pdf.14045/
Thanks. Since it was already at the transmission shop, I had them clear all the codes and replace the fluid and filter. The fluid was not low and gets exchanged about every 35K. Fluid was still clear, smelled good and pan was clean. They "flushed" the cooler and lines to ensure good fluid flow and no debris (did not flush transmission). They checked the wiring, but I will go through and double-check myself.

What scanner will read transmission codes so I can monitor this? I use BAFX OBDII scan tool with Torque Pro but I don't think it will read the transmission. Don't want to keep taking it to a transmission shop to read the codes (if any).

Hopefully that transmission shop used ATF+4 in your transmission. I had my wife's JGC ATF changed and they used some other type of ATF with some additive they claimed turned it into ATF+4. I was pissed and made them do it again since I specified they only use ATF+4.

Nearly any aftermarket scanner will find the transmission codes, at least my cheap Harbor Freight scanner read my 42RLE transmission code when it had a problem a couple years ago.

Reactions: explorerlyon
Hopefully that transmission shop used ATF+4 in your transmission. I had my wife's JGC ATF changed and they used some other type of ATF with some additive they claimed turned it into ATF+4. I was pissed and made them do it again since I specified they only use ATF+4.

Nearly any aftermarket scanner will find the transmission codes, at least my cheap Harbor Freight scanner read my 42RLE transmission code when it had a problem a couple years ago.
I had a discussion with them about ATF+4 when I dropped it off. That is what they used, however, you never know unless you do it yourself. Older shop with only two older mechanics that know their stuff so I do trust them. If I don't throw any more codes, I will likely exchange the fluid myself again soon anyways.

Anyone know about what speed the torque converter should lock up? The mechanic said on their test drive and analysis the torque converted lock up at about 60mph. The mechanic seemed fine with that but said its getting on the high side, is it?

Ya bullshit. Lol
Not really, there are a lot of PCM problems with automatics on 2005-6 TJs and Wranglerfix was able to fix those problems. Their reputation is stellar with universal praise for those who used their replacement PCM. We're talking automatics here, not manual transmissions.

Anyone know about what speed the torque converter should lock up? The mechanic said on their test drive and analysis the torque converted lock up at about 60mph. The mechanic seemed fine with that but said its getting on the high side, is it?
The speed at which is locks up depends on how it's being driven. The harder it is driven the higher the speed before it will lock up. It may lock up at 40 mph, it may lock up at 65-70 mph.

Reactions: explorerlyon
Not really, there are a lot of PCM problems with automatics on 2005-6 TJs and Wranglerfix was able to fix those problems. Their reputation is stellar with universal praise for those who used their replacement PCM. We're talking automatics here, not manual transmissions.
I didn’t appreciate the experience I had with them. That’s all. His way of helping seems to be recommending a new pcm which will cost you 800$ without any questions because he’s a vendor and trying to make a living.

Ya bullshit. Lol

Well...it did. I had P0218 and P0714 TCM codes for the transmission and one other that I can't remember right now. P0218 is an overheat code. Mine wasn't overheated according to my trans temp gauge. The Wrangler fix PCM has been in my '06 auto since August 2019 and has had about 1400 miles on it with no other codes or hard shifts.

I agree. I had hard shifting in my 2006 TJ with the 42rle. The wrangler fix replacement has worked perfectly. Bought it last summer. I still think the easiest test is to disconnect the battery and see if the reboot makes the symptoms go away temporarily. My experience with wrangler fix was quite good. Their product works and they have good customer support.

@explorerlyon I’m jumping on to this a little late and new to the forum, but I’m seemingly having the same issues/codes as you in my ‘05 4.0 TJ. Out of curiosity - how did things shake out for you?

Thanks!

@explorerlyon I’m jumping on to this a little late and new to the forum, but I’m seemingly having the same issues/codes as you in my ‘05 4.0 TJ. Out of curiosity - how did things shake out for you?

Thanks!
I did the WranglerFix first, but it did not eliminate the codes. Had a local transmission shop dig into the tranny and they replaced the torque converter. Two months now and all is good. I immediately notice a much quicker and faster throttle response from a stop after replacing the torque converter.

I did the WranglerFix first, but it did not eliminate the codes. Had a local transmission shop dig into the tranny and they replaced the torque converter. Two months now and all is good. I immediately notice a much quicker and faster throttle response from a stop after replacing the torque converter.
Awesome to hear that! Glad it’s been working well for you.

I had the same issues, did a lot of read up on the wranglerfix and was close to pulling the trigger, but it seemed the errors it was solving for everyone else wasn’t the same as those I was dealing with. I ended up having the transmission fully rebuilt as well as the torque converter clutch replaced. Several weeks later I’m dealing with the same codes, same issues. I’m thinking that in part of the rebuild (which wouldn’t then constitute a “full” rebuild) they didn’t replace the damned torque converter itself. I’m really relieved to hear you’ve had success because I couldn’t believe I was back at square one again without any direction. Thank you and I hope you have continued success!

Reactions: Wranglerfix
I agree. I had hard shifting in my 2006 TJ with the 42rle. The wrangler fix replacement has worked perfectly. Bought it last summer. I still think the easiest test is to disconnect the battery and see if the reboot makes the symptoms go away temporarily. My experience with wrangler fix was quite good. Their product works and they have good customer support.
Hi Peter, what codes were you getting? thanks, Dave