05 LJ OPDA questions

I know there are plenty of threads on this topic but they all look ancient. We recently bought an 05 LJ with 179k. It looks like someone took really good care of it. No rust on the frame anywhere. I only found one little cancer bubble on the fender by the flare. Anyway last week it threw a P0016 code. I ordered a new crown automotive OPDA. Took me a couple tries before I got it in right with no light. I used the sensor that clean with the new unit because the one I took out didn't look to old. I thought maybe someone replaced it at some point. Last night I went out for a little burn with the doors off because we finally had some warm weather and on my way home it threw a P0344 code and started bucking at a little over 2000 rpm. I pulled over and cleared the code with my cheapo obd2 thing from Amazon that uses an app. I just took it out to see if it would throw another code and nothing happened. My question is should I replace that crown sensor with a Mopar one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, the crown sensor blows...use the old one or a new oem

X2. You must use the OE Mopar sensor, either the one that came off your old OPDA or a replacement. This is a well known issue with the Crown sensor.

Cool. I will have to order a Mopar one. The one I took off doesn't look like the stock one. Thanks for the fast responses.

Reactions: Chris
Happy to help! The new sensor should solve the issue. Not sure what it is about the Crown sensor that makes it not work right, but it never does. It did the exact same thing on my 05 when I replaced the OPDA with a Crown unit.

Doesn't make sense that they would spend the time to re engineer the OPDA then top it off with a junk sensor. I have a 7.3 powerstroke in my van and it doesn't like any aftermarket parts. All sensors have to come from Ford or they won't work. I learned that the hard way

Doesn't make sense that they would spend the time to re engineer the OPDA then top it off with a junk sensor. I have a 7.3 powerstroke in my van and it doesn't like any aftermarket parts. All sensors have to come from Ford or they won't work. I learned that the hard way

That’s how it is with ALL aftermarket sensors for our TJs too, not just this one. Anything from O2 sensors to CPS sensors. They simply won’t accept any aftermarket sensors, only OE Mopar ones. I don’t know why it is. Something about the aftermarket sensors just doesn’t work well with them.

I don’t know what we are going to do once Mopar stops making the sensors!

Guess I’ll have to go retro CJ/YJ or JL next then! [emoji848].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can have the JL. Those things have way too much electronic garbage and BS for someone who likes to work on their own vehicles ;)

It's a trip to the dealer every time something goes wrong.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
You can have the JL. Those things have way too much electronic garbage and BS for someone who likes to work on their own vehicles ;)

It's a trip to the dealer every time something goes wrong.

True. So back to old school one day then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Chris