06 LJ, Likely Overkill

dtroth91

Supporting Member
Hello all,

This is serving as my build report, a place to compile everything I will do to my jeep. It may also serve as an adventure log, who knows.

A little about myself: I have owned jeeps a few jeeps before. I got my first 96 grand cherokee 4.0 when I was around 17. I caught the bug when a friend of a friend showed me a place to take it offroad. Due to naivety and inexperience, the stock jeep (street tires) ended up stuck in a bad way and some *ahem* less than careful people offered to help get me out.
Due to having no budget for serious repairs, it was totaled and the junkyard was called to come get it. (a few lessons learned)

After that i bought a few more grand cherokees most lifted to some degree, but nothing serious (no lockers or winch, but decent tires now). Sold and bought them for various reasons. Really only maintaining them and keeping them going as opposed to building them.

The last jeep I owned, I bought when i was living in ohio and upon learning I was moving to Southern California, I decided to start over and buy a rust free one.

My search started about a year and a half after moving here (although I was always on the marketplace checking prices and see what good finds were available). I started saving up money to buy a cheap zj and lift and lock it all at once. My plan was to replace it as my daily so I wanted it to be reliable. After searching though, I couldnt find a low mileage zj that i felt was taken care of (as far as tranny and engine is concerned) . Soon I find a built 5.9 zj and 02 wrangler sport with 4.10s and a modest lift. ( at this point stock was probably better because I planned on buying a proper lift and doing it right).

Me and the lady take a sunday to go drive probably around 6 hours total to test drive both (they were hours away from each other, shes a trooper). The 5.9 had radius arms and was priced around 7500 but it was a complete build. Besides the radius arms, Im not sure what it was but I wasnt really happy with it. It was really nice, I have always wanted one. It wasnt for me though. (Price was a touch high, and miles were too but that alone wasnt it. I get the feeling the guy wouldve let it go for less, we talked a lot about zjs)

Alas:

We get to the Wrangler, and the top is off. I thought this was pretty cool (First time obviously). It is a manual and I am not a stick shift driver, maybe my third time.I explain this to him, and he agrees that it is okay for me to test drive it anyway (lots of trust, this guy). I didnt stall it, and no gear grinding and he let me take it on some dirt roads and test the 4x4.

Me and the lady fell in love with the wrangler. We get back from the drive and I am checking everything out underneath etc. I open the back and am thinking of my 80 lb dog and the longer trips I plan on building this for. Damn, this is tough. I am used to having a big jeep! We head back home. The tight fit and lack of him having a pinkslip in his hand had me decide to keep searching.

So it became an unlimited only search. (I did not like the idea of having to possibly rely on a dealer to fix a potential plethora of electronic woes of a jk, plus didnt want a 3.8)
This made it difficult!
Due to price, I really wanted it to be low miles. This further narrowed my search.

I also really wanted a manual, but in this, I had to compromise. My jeeps in ohio were usually used to forrest trails and lots of mud, I think this is a fairly less dangerous place to be inexperienced. My wheeling style was going to adapt to rock crawling and driving up mountain roads. I really had to think about the learning curve involved with learning how to drive a stick, reliably and consistently on the street BEFORE I could do what i really wanted with the jeep. I was definitely wanting to get out to the outdoors due to feeling cooped up inside. That, coupled with the difficulty finding such a specific vehicle, I decide to open my search and go check out an Black 06 LJ Auto with 89k miles.

Me and the lady take another drive to a dealer, and I test drive it and take it on the highway. All seems well. I check out the underneath, very clean, Frame looks to be in perfect condition. It was definitely a commuter vehicle and was never taken offroad. It had a small OME lift and tcase drop with some decent condition 33s.
Floor boards are good. The lady pointed a very small crack in the fender, and a small crack in the door panel. Otherwise, I was impressed with how clean it was. ( I do know the effort dealers go to make it look this way as well. )

Everything checked out though so I made the purchase. Came back the next day to pick it up!

IMG_20200709_201130_01.jpg

After driving it for three days and deciding it was good to go for a small trip we went with some locals on a trip to Santiago Peak!

20200712_124152.jpg

Inside of three months it has seen a few QOL add ons and some major upgrades! These upgrades started with a single trackbar replacement and turned into much more very quickly!!
Also funny enough I decided to keep my other car anyway. Oops