'06 Rubicon LJ with a Gr8Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadStang

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
This is my dream Jeep and something I know I will probably never have again. It's a 2006 loaded Rubicon Unlimited with every option available. Low mileage as well at 89K. It has many upgrades and extras. I purchased this from a family member of the owner of Gr8tops who produces the custom hard top. They did all the mods at their shop and used the jeep in shows to promote the LJ Safari top. The details of this top can be seen at WWW.gr8tops.com.

The Bad. This jeep has a reconstructed title. But I assure you it was a mild accident and I have all the receipts from the repairs which show only the front fenders and grill were replaced along with the radiator and fan.

Gr8tops.com custom hardtop. This top is amazing! It has a rear barn door and extra side and rear windows. The roof is higher as well. It includes the optional roof rack as well.
4" Superlift. part #c5120
Warn Zeon 10-S Winch
Dick Cepek 35" tires
Rock Rails
Exogate HD Tailgate Hinge
Factory soft top [maybe...?]
ORF Rear bumper
Bartact seat covers front and rear
Bartact gear and seat accessory holders Included but not installed for asking price
Double Din stereo Kit Heated front seat kit
Power door lock kit including rear door kit
I'll also include a new in box Lange Originals power hoist a top for an additional $475.

$24K with 89K miles — salvage title. Red/black automatic in Albany, Oregon. [NOT MINE!]

Very clean underside — could use an engine compartment detail — I looked at it tonight but didn't start or drive it.

Albany 1.jpg

Albany 2.jpg

Albany 3.jpg

Albany 4.jpg

Albany 5.jpg

Albany 6.jpg

Albany 7.jpg

Albany 8.jpg

Reactions: Ephry73
Am I the only one who thinks $24k for a LJR with a rebuilt title is a bit excessive?

It's too bad to because the build and the top especially are pretty righteous.
The price is more than I would consider reasonable.

I wish the listing was just for the top, Seller is about 10 miles from my house in Oregon, and I have a red Unlimited.

The price is more than I would consider reasonable.

I wish the listing was just for the top, Seller is about 10 miles from my house in Oregon, and I have a red Unlimited.
If he actually has the soft top complete (the wife said no), and he came down in $$$, I'd buy it and you can buy the top from me, lol!

Has anyone tried to negotiate a deal on this one? Whats the consensus on the right price for it with the Salvage Title?
Price seem ludicrous to me...

I recently picked up a 2006 LJ with mild lift, 33"s, alloys, and 69k miles for $14,800 (and I live in AZ, which has some of the highest resale values in the country, especially for Jeeps). The one above is a Rubi, which adds some value, but certainly not double what a typical LJ goes for. Other than the top and winch (which are top notch), everything is "meh": generic single-DIN radio, mediocre lift, stock wheels (with likely spacers), and tires that nobody uses (unless this has a time machine built-in and can go back to 2004). My guess is that it hasn't been regeared either and the steering looks factory to my eyes (from what I could see). With the salvaged title, regardless of damage, the resale value will always be diminished, typically by 50%. Jeeps fare a bit differently there but not by much. At best, this is a $15,000-17,000 rig.

Price seem ludicrous to me...

I recently picked up a 2006 LJ with mild lift, 33"s, alloys, and 69k miles for $14,800 (and I live in AZ, which has some of the highest resale values in the country, especially for Jeeps). The one above is a Rubi, which adds some value, but certainly not double what a typical LJ goes for. Other than the top and winch (which are top notch), everything is "meh": generic single-DIN radio, mediocre lift, stock wheels (with likely spacers), and tires that nobody uses (unless this has a time machine built-in and can go back to 2004). My guess is that it hasn't been regeared either and the steering looks factory to my eyes (from what I could see). With the salvaged title, regardless of damage, the resale value will always be diminished, typically by 50%. Jeeps fare a bit differently there but not by much. At best, this is a $15,000-17,000 rig.
You summed that up nicely...thanks. Now, do I make contact and potentially insult or just leave it alone. The Wife LOVES the Safari Tops

Reactions: pc1p
You summed that up nicely...thanks. Now, do I make contact and potentially insult or just leave it alone. The Wife LOVES the Safari Tops
I believe there is always a way to politely provide "perspective"...

I did it when I was looking for my LJ. There was a guy wanted $20,500 for his bone-stock 2004 LJ. It was clean, but needed some maintenance items, had broken tailgate glass lift struts, etc. I was looking and there were dealers listing non-Rubi LJ's for $16-17,000 with comparable miles. We couldn't come to a deal as his "lowest price" was $18,500. He had bought the LJ only 9 months earlier and I think he got hosed on the deal and was looking for someone willing to purchase on emotion, rather than reason.

When I found the one I eventually bought, the guy was asking $16,500 which I thought was fair market value (and was closer to what the dealers in the area were asking for stuff on their lot). I offered $14,800 and he originally seemed disappointed with the offer, I showed him the current asking price at the two local dealers for what they had, then took the time to point out a few maintenance items that needed to be addressed (e.g. slight u-joint squeak on passenger side axle shaft, t-case shifter not working, etc.), the missing radio face-plate (it was an aftermarket radio), the lack of carpet, etc. and within 5 minutes, he agreed to my offer price and the rest, as they say, is history :)

Now - all that said - there are some people who will ALWAYS be offended. They think they have a gold-filled unicorn, possibly got hosed their first time when they purchased it, or any number of reasons that their perception isn't matching reality. At the end of the day, if the parties can't come to an agreement, a simple "sorry we couldn't make a deal" should be sufficient and I wouldn't stress over offending anyone publically trying to sell something (particularly something almost 200% over market value). :)

I have the same top in the same color and I love it. Only complaint is it was poorly made and came with cracks and the black top is now a faded grey, sort of like what happens to the fender flares.

Now, if you love the top then go buy a better LJ and separately buy the hardtop. They shipped to me so I assume they would ship to you.

I wanted a salvage title Jeep in good shape to heavily mod...this one checks my boxes. I don't care for the top, tho, or anything added ons/lift but the winch — everything else would go away (it looks like mediocre components) . I bought an old man (1 owner) stocker that I haven't been able to bring myself to touch yet (beyond the easy to reverse wheels, spacers, and Bartact seat covers). It seems a shame to cut mine up and do what I want to on a sweet virgin like my LJ, although it is "just" a sport. It was the light of the old man's life but he developed dementia and couldn't drive it any longer. Plus I love just driving it to work as is. I keep hoping I will change my mind but haven't been able to start on it yet. For the right price on this salvage Rubi, I'd sell mine and cut this one up (and sell the top as fast as I could get it off — I see lots of places lacking in good weather stripping on that Safari top that will leak during the 9 months of rain we have here), plus I would just smack it on a tree and break it the first Firebreak 5 run I take it up on the top half of the trail. But I can't choke down his price and I also didn't want to be a rectal sphincter and insult him with what I think it's worth — I have to live in the community here and possible will run into him at the grocery store, lol. If I could get the Jeep w/o the top (for less $$$), I would be more serious about it.

I wanted a salvage title Jeep in good shape to heavily mod...this one checks my boxes. I don't care for the top, tho, or anything added ons/lift but the winch — everything else would go away (it looks like mediocre components) . I bought an old man (1 owner) stocker that I haven't been able to bring myself to touch yet (beyond the easy to reverse wheels, spacers, and Bartact seat covers). It seems a shame to cut mine up and do what I want to on a sweet virgin like my LJ, although it is "just" a sport. It was the light of the old man's life but he developed dementia and couldn't drive it any longer. Plus I love just driving it to work as is. I keep hoping I will change my mind but haven't been able to start on it yet. For the right price on this salvage Rubi, I'd sell mine and cut this one up (and sell the top as fast as I could get it off — I see lots of places lacking in good weather stripping on that Safari top that will leak during the 9 months of rain we have here), plus I would just smack it on a tree and break it the first Firebreak 5 run I take it up on the top half of the trail. But I can't choke down his price and I also didn't want to be a rectal sphincter and insult him with what I think it's worth — I have to live in the community here and possible will run into him at the grocery store, lol. If I could get the Jeep w/o the top (for less $$$), I would be more serious about it.
If he wanted to sell the top separately, please let me know. I'm curious what he'd sell it for.

I prefer salvage/restored title Jeeps for heavy builds (especially those with documented repairs) as well. They're usually cheaper (unlike this one which is far above market) and I don't feel so bad hacking the frame or body up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.