11,900 mile 2005 LJ. What should he price it at?

Just Chillin

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
My neighbor is going to sell his LJ. He is the original owner. It has been garaged since new. What price should he put on it. 2005 Unlimited Sport, 11,900 miles, unmolested (no offense to those who modify)

20220323_121712.jpg

20220323_121734.jpg

20220323_121904.jpg

I'm sure opinions will vary but they should consider an auction or broker, with ultra low miles like that a private party sale is probably throwing allot out the door even factoring in the extra cost. On autotrader.com there are standard TJs with double that mileage going for almost $30K. There is a 2005 Unlimited in San Diego with 173,000 miles offered at $25K. Way too much money to just wing it private party in my opinion unless they are very experienced or really don't want the hassle.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
I actually laughed quite a bit when I read this, you're kidding right?
I was going by what he said. If they are the factory black, then I will show him how to bring them back. Some old guy in a Jeep shop used leather conditioner on my fenders. Worked great and it made sense that you are putting the oils back in the plastic. He has never really done anything with them and we are in a desert environment.

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
Low miles like that are not necessarily a good thing. It’s still a 17 yr old base model vehicle. Plastic and rubber still dry out. The good thing about garaged kept here in SoCal is it was out of the sun but some garages get hot which still leads to degradation. I would start with a $20K offer and see where it goes. If you are thinking of any kind of build it will cost anywhere from $10k and up. I would not turn around and resell it unless you do not like the guy and can live with the fact that you screwed him over. The people who suggest this would scream bloody murder if it was done to them.
If he is just going to sell it on the open market I would start at $32K and see what happens he can always go down in price if it does not sell in a few weeks. SoCal is a good market lots of people with money to burn here.

Last edited:
Get it detailed, I mean from a professional detail shop, not a dealer or some hole in the wall.

It would run anywhere from $800-1$k+ but I promise it will bring it back to life and ready for posting for sale.

Bring a Trailer is your best option to get the most money. It would easily go for $27K+
Bring a Trailer can do the photoshoot for the sale and the owner can set a reserve.

I'm glad I don't live in Cali, if it can sell for the ridiculous prices listed above. Well, there's a bunch more reasons too. 🤫
I don’t think we should be quiet about this one Boog! Let’s start listing the reasons not to live in Commifornia. On second thought, that would be a book. We have it bad enough here in WA.

Reactions: Just Chillin