12V Compressor Price?

I installed 2 of the ARB dual compressors into a 2.5 gallon tank. Still will not run air tools. Maybe I need air tools that use less air?
Got these and 2 pair of Vision X headlights in a trade deal

I installed 2 of the ARB dual compressors into a 2.5 gallon tank. Still will not run air tools. Maybe I need air tools that use less air?
Got these and 2 pair of Vision X headlights in a trade deal

You'll likely need a storage tank to run air tools and even then you'd probably be hard pressed.

Edit: didn’t read your tank. From what I’ve read with the arb it can be tricky to get it to run full powered air tools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
We're in agreement here. I think you're saying that both the 33% and 50% are fine, I agree.

If one is concerned that there really is some practical difference in the ARB CKMA12 50% and Viair 400 33% duty cycles

I have a tank on my system, it is useless but it was fun to build. Live and learn.

I have the viair set with 100 percent duty cycle, but I cannot find a good place to mount the compressor. I am leery to hook it up under the TJ. I may just install it on one of my trailers instead.

They just didn't leave any room under the hood of a 98. I did put an external air filter on trying to make room, and it looks like it might barely fit where the stock air box would go, but there is nothing flat to mount to. I know I don't want to mount it in the Jeep, so I may just carry a portable instead.

So while you are contemplating price, maybe contemplate where you would mount it too.

Reactions: Squatch
ac_ said:
. . . I cannot find a good place to mount the compressor. . . .

The later TJ's have room on the driver's side inner fender to mount a Viair compressor. The ARB units will also fit there, and on the ABS tray as well if the jeep is not ABS equipped.

My Viair unit under the hood:

Compressor Installation.jpg

BTW - Only one of the 12v compressors currently on the market has sufficient air flow to run common air tools which typically require a constant supply at 5+ cfm, the York-based Oasis at $1,550. Not even the highly regarded Puma PD1006 compressors can keep up. The common wisdom is that if one wants to run air tools then one needs an engine driven compressor.

In my opinion simpler is better and there are many lithium ion battery driven impact wrenches, cutting and grinding tools on the market that perform as well as air tools for purposes of a trail repair without the complexity and cost of an engine driven compressor and air tank or an air hose that acts as a tether. Therefore, my onboard air system has but one purpose - inflating stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: psrivats and ac_
I have the viair set with 100 percent duty cycle, but I cannot find a good place to mount the compressor. I am leery to hook it up under the TJ. I may just install it on one of my trailers instead.

They just didn't leave any room under the hood of a 98. I did put an external air filter on trying to make room, and it looks like it might barely fit where the stock air box would go, but there is nothing flat to mount to. I know I don't want to mount it in the Jeep, so I may just carry a portable instead.

So while you are contemplating price, maybe contemplate where you would mount it too.
If your TJ doesn't have ABS you can most likely mount it on the driver's side ABS system mounting tray on the fender well in front of the firewall.

The later TJ's have room on the driver's side inner fender to mount a Viair compressor. The ARB units will also fit there, and on the ABS tray as well if the jeep is not ABS equipped.

My Viair unit under the hood:

View attachment 64364

My booster died a couple of weeks ago, so I had to remove it and there was no way that ait pump was fitting under it on the tray. Believe me I tried every combination. And, I can't put it where yours is because of my stupid charcoal canister and cruise control. Although I may move my charcoal canister down to the ABS tray and remove the cruise because I never use it, but It hurts me to remove something that works and still have the buttons on the steering wheel. It is a weird OCD thing I have, Maybe if I change out my steering wheel too. That is a lot of work though for just adding the air compressor. I might be more excited about it if it was as good as the York option, but seems like to much for not enough benefit in my mind.

I do already have a portable Viair that works pretty good with a Longacre aluminum tank. It sucks because it will take space when I wheel, but at least it can be removed if I am not wheeling.

The other thing, I am thinking is putting in all of the other hardware and then plugging in the portable compressor when I am going to use it, then I will have a tank on board, and I only have to carry the compressor.

Sounds like it's time for you to go CO2. I'd rather have my previous York OBA system but I'd rather have my present CO2 tank than a conventional electric (and noisy!) compressor.

Reactions: ac_
Sounds like it's time for you to go CO2. I'd rather have my previous York OBA system but I'd rather have my present CO2 tank than a conventional electric (and noisy!) compressor.

I have been looking at them, and I like the set up that @bobthetj03 has, but I have bought this system thinking I could do anything with it, so I want to figure out what to do with it first, whether I install it on one of my trailers or my tow vehicle. I suspect, I am going to put air bags on my tow vehicle at some point, so it may be awesome since I already own it,

I didn't plan this purchase very well. I was pretty sure I was going to buy this and it was just going to be tight but fit under the hood or I could make some adjustments, but I didn't really plan on where I was going to put it. On the YJ and the CJ's IIRC, the fenders were flatish, but on the TJ they are dipped and have huge holes in them and they don't really have any good flat spots. Except under the brake booster as you guys have suggested, but there is no way that compressor will fit there for me. I guess maybe I could buy a different compressor to put there like that ARB one, but then for the price, it wont' be worth it.

My ultimate happy place would be a York like you used to have!

. . . The other thing, I am thinking is putting in all of the other hardware and then plugging in the portable compressor when I am going to use it, then I will have a tank on board, and I only have to carry the compressor.

A tank is essential for ARB air lockers, air horns and other devices that require an air reserve to operate, but if the purpose of your compressor is to fill tires you don't need a tank.

Filling the tank before you begin to air up instead of just airing up 4 tires without a tank is like filling a 5th tire. You won't really be saving any meaningful amount time overall when airing up four tires so why bother with the additional expense and complexity?

A tank is essential for ARB air lockers, air horns and other devices that require an air reserve to operate, but if the purpose of your compressor is to fill tires you don't need a tank.

Filling the tank before you begin to air up instead of just airing up 4 tires without a tank is like filling a 5th tire. You won't really be saving any meaningful amount time overall when airing up four tires so why bother with the additional expense and complexity?

it came as a kit, so I have all of the garb already. But you are right there really is no point to it for just filling tires.