15" vs. 16" wheels

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Doing a little planning on future modifications and the subject of wheel size came up. What are some of the pros and cons of going from a 15" wheel to a 16" wheel? I get a bit more sidewall with the 15" and there seems to be a bigger selection of tires available. With the 16" I get the 4 1/2" backspacing that I am looking for in the wheel design I like, there is room for a 16" big brake kit, but the selection of tires is more limited. What am I missing here?

If there's one size of wheel I'd skip right over, it'd be a 16" since there's just such a limited selection of both wheels and tires of that size. Not to mention the tires are often more expensive in that size since that's a less common size. Since you're going with the excellent Big Brake kit from BMB, I'd go with a 17". My 15" wheels barely fit over the second generation Big Brake kit I installed a while back, I ended up installing a 1/4" spacer ring.

Reactions: Reign Mack
If there's one size of wheel I'd skip right over, it'd be a 16" since there's just such a limited selection of both wheels and tires of that size. Not to mention the tires are often more expensive in that size since that's a less common size. Since you're going with the excellent Big Brake kit from BMB, I'd go with a 17". My 15" wheels barely fit over the second generation Big Brake kit I installed a while back, I ended up installing a 1/4" spacer ring.

Before you get too carried away with that sentiment, you might see what the availability of a replacement rim is to match the ones you have. I suspect once you figure that one out, 16 and 17" rims may have a bit more appeal.

I get a bit more sidewall with the 15" and there seems to be a bigger selection of tires available.
I've watched 35-17" MTRK's work quite well in JV which is very traction dependent so our old thoughts about how important sidewall height is are no longer as valid as they once were.

Before you get too carried away with that sentiment, you might see what the availability of a replacement rim is to match the ones you have. I suspect once you figure that one out, 16 and 17" rims may have a bit more appeal.
Oh I have no attachment to using 15" over 17", it's just that I can't afford to convert to 17" right now. If I could, I'd convert to a 17" if for no other reason than to get rid of that spacer ring.

That was one of my major concerns about going to a 17", sidewall height.

Perhaps I'll have to reconsider.

FYI though, I run 285/75r16 (33") Duratracs on my 16" Moab wheels and they are fairly priced. There's numerous other tires available such as Cooper STTs, MT/Rs, etc.

Good input, thanks folks! I'm currently running stock Grizzly wheels (15x7) with 215-75R15 Goodrich AT's that came off my XJ. The wheels came with the TJ, but the tires that were on it were glorified street tires. Swapped the tires out for what was on hand at the moment, that at least had some pretensions of being an off road tire. My build plan is coming together slowly. I'm running the Jeep, and making notes of what works and what doesn't. Those AT's work, but barely. Just not enough contact patch to float the Jeep when I get to fluffy sand. Even airing down is iffy at times. The TJ is a 1999 SE with a manual transmission. The usual 4.10 gears and no lockers or limited slip. It also has the typical Dana 30/Dana 35 axles. Since I'm not in a position to just start writing checks, I need to piece it together over time. Thought that I might as well start with wheels and tires and go from there.

jeepers begin lift first tires. what size of tires do u want to install. u can install just 33" tires on Dana 30/35. must not install more size. big tires might break axles.
after installing big tires jeep will say you what you must do more with car )))

Reactions: Chris
Doing a little planning on future modifications and the subject of wheel size came up. What are some of the pros and cons of going from a 15" wheel to a 16" wheel? I get a bit more sidewall with the 15" and there seems to be a bigger selection of tires available. With the 16" I get the 4 1/2" backspacing that I am looking for in the wheel design I like, there is room for a 16" big brake kit, but the selection of tires is more limited. What am I missing here?
Unless you need bigger brakes 15s offer the best choices for rubber. 16/17 tires tend to be heavier and more expensive than 15s which are almost exclusively easy riding Cs. I've got 16s with my Rubi, and run winter tires on them. I bought 17s thinking I wanted an 80 series 17 over an 85 series 16. But my next tire will be a 33x10.50x15 KO2. Closer to the 33x9.50x15 KOs I loved on my old YJ.

C rated tires and hard wheeling- Moab rocks/slabs or brick driveways- not so great. I would never go down. Jeep brakes are shi** at best and big brakes are easy to install if you have wheels large enough to accomidate them.

Reactions: Chris